The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: formulanone on June 18, 2019, 10:16:15 PM
Found an old CONN 15 shield today with a colorful patina:

(lowered dimensions so that my reply didn't have another massive photo - sorry)

Out of curiosity, where was this? I've only ever exited/entered CT 15 at CT 8 and CT 34, so if it was further east than exit 58 or was off some obscure side street (a typical case), then I definitely missed this.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

formulanone

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 03, 2019, 10:31:48 PM
Quote from: formulanone on June 18, 2019, 10:16:15 PM
Found an old CONN 15 shield today with a colorful patina:

(lowered dimensions so that my reply didn't have another massive photo - sorry)

Out of curiosity, where was this? I've only ever exited/entered CT 15 at CT 8 and CT 34, so if it was further east than exit 58 or was off some obscure side street (a typical case), then I definitely missed this.

Glenville - close to the New York border. I wasn't expecting it at all, just trying to turn back on NY 433 but decided to press on.

ipeters61

Quote from: formulanone on July 03, 2019, 06:53:54 PM
An oldie-but-a-goodie in Houston...yes, Clearview was applied but the original sign was retained:

You know, I didn't even recognize that to be Clearview until I read your caption.  Must be the streakiness.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: ipeters61 on July 04, 2019, 09:33:41 AM
You know, I didn't even recognize that to be Clearview until I read your caption.  Must be the streakiness.

Neither did I! Not sure if that's a compliment towards Clearview, or whether the rest of the sign was so damn wonderful, I neglected to notice.

WA never used button-copy all over the shields like some places (CA, TX), so I love seeing signs like these.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on July 06, 2019, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on July 04, 2019, 09:33:41 AM

Neither did I! Not sure if that's a compliment towards Clearview, or whether the rest of the sign was so damn wonderful, I neglected to notice.

WA never used button-copy all over the shields like some places (CA, TX), so I love seeing signs like these.

I guess it may be obvious to all, but in case it isn't O.S.T. in the sign above stands for Old Spanish Trail.  I wasn't aware, so I did some quick researching before asking the group. 

I suppose in the Houston area this is well known, but I'm surprised that this typed of abbreviation is allowed on a highway sign since it isn't very descriptive.  Something like "Old Span Tr" would be more expected.

Even in California, where PCH is well-known, it is always signed (at the very least) with "Pac Coast Hwy"

Kniwt

Quote from: mrsman on July 07, 2019, 12:30:27 PM
Even in California, where PCH is well-known, it is always signed (at the very least) with "Pac Coast Hwy"

Pismo Beach says "hold my beer."

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: mrsman on July 07, 2019, 12:30:27 PM

Uh, no.   Here's just one example where Caltrans uses PCH as an abbreviation. There's quite a few other examples between Santa Monica and Oxnard as well.

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

csw

Nice one. I've spent a good amount of time scouting for old signs in Pittsburgh via GSV but haven't found much yet. Other Rust Belt cities have yielded more though.

Verlanka

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

jakeroot

Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on August 06, 2019, 12:08:30 PM
This one is quite old, i'm guessing it's from the 60's atleast. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8574284,-73.974293,3a,48.7y,132.1h,124.45t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1scjq07qUgVwK1TjC3AndDeA!2e0!5s20180901T000000!7i16384!8i8192 (Fort Lee, NJ.)

According to Historic Aerials, access to either carriageway was eliminated in the mid/late 70s, and that's when it would have been modified! Incredible age.

I love that type of arrow display (on the right) as well. Anyone know what technology is used there?

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: jakeroot on August 06, 2019, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on August 06, 2019, 12:08:30 PM
This one is quite old, i'm guessing it's from the 60's atleast. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8574284,-73.974293,3a,48.7y,132.1h,124.45t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1scjq07qUgVwK1TjC3AndDeA!2e0!5s20180901T000000!7i16384!8i8192 (Fort Lee, NJ.)

According to Historic Aerials, access to either carriageway was eliminated in the mid/late 70s, and that's when it would have been modified! Incredible age.

I love that type of arrow display (on the right) as well. Anyone know what technology is used there?

I've never seen it in use. Ever. Note: only the word BRIDGE and the arrow are button copy.

Carrying on:an RI ancient 60s or even 50s sign gantry follwed by  another NJ sign.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ipeters61

My first time spotting an old-spec US shield in the wild.  In Williamsport MD, photo taken this afternoon:

Instagram | Clinched Map

Chrispi

What's hated more on the AARoads forum, Clearview or the Vienna Convention?

ipeters61

Quote from: Chrispi on September 02, 2019, 02:44:57 PM
What's hated more on the AARoads forum, Clearview or the Vienna Convention?
Breezewood
Instagram | Clinched Map

csw

Not new discoveries, but it's always nice to see some Virginia cutouts still kicking.

US 460 in Christiansburg. Could be in danger of removal due to some resurfacing/light road work immediately surrounding it.

US 23/US 58A/VA 74 in Norton. One of several assemblies in and around the main street.

hbelkins

Christiansburg used to be full of them, but most are gone. I stumbled upon a couple a couple of years ago.

Norton still has a bunch. There's also a US 74 in a wide 3dus marker along Kentucky Avenue.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: ipeters61 on September 01, 2019, 09:38:37 PM
My first time spotting an old-spec US shield in the wild.  In Williamsport MD, photo taken this afternoon:

Thanks for the heads up on this one! It wasn't too far from work this week...

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: formulanone on September 11, 2019, 09:30:40 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on September 01, 2019, 09:38:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this one! It wasn't too far from work this week...

If you can get this, take the 30 minute drive up to Breezewood and get the glorious button copy.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

formulanone

Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on November 07, 2019, 11:09:45 AM
Do my eyes decieve me?! Is this...BUTTON COPY IN CANADA!? ITS BEAUTIFUL! (Calgary, AB, Canada) https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0650244,-114.0263039,3a,21.7y,1.48h,104.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc9P39Rc_ES5ZmcoZdzpM4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nope, it's the real deal...the only button copy I've seen in Canada, though I'm far from an expert on that.

Hold up...why is there a dash between "Medicine" and "Hat"?

There's also some non-metric bridge height signs around there, so I'm guessing that's from the 1980s?

bcroadguy

Quote from: formulanone on November 07, 2019, 01:31:36 PM
Nope, it's the real deal...the only button copy I've seen in Canada, though I'm far from an expert on that.

I think someone posted a white-on-black button copy "median keep right" sign at a rail underpass in Toronto a while back (I don't remember where), but that was the only button copy in Canada I knew of until now. It's cool to see more of it! :)

planxtymcgillicuddy

A still-visible "NORTH" from the long-gone Business 95 southern terminus at Kenly, NC

Also, multiples of the same size, as well as old Hooters & Circle K signs, despite both having newer logos for at least 5 years now, at Exit 36 on I-77
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.