News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: formulanone on November 07, 2019, 01:31:36 PM
Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on November 07, 2019, 11:09:45 AM
Do my eyes decieve me?! Is this...BUTTON COPY IN CANADA!? ITS BEAUTIFUL! (Calgary, AB, Canada) https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0650244,-114.0263039,3a,21.7y,1.48h,104.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc9P39Rc_ES5ZmcoZdzpM4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nope, it's the real deal...the only button copy I've seen in Canada, though I'm far from an expert on that.

Hold up...why is there a dash between "Medicine" and "Hat"?

Are "Medicine" and "Hat" the names of two different communities? I recognize this isn't a photo from the U.S., but using a dash is the MUTCD-preferred method of separating two words on the  same line of a legend (per 2A.13 and 2E.17).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadfro on November 08, 2019, 10:17:40 AMAre "Medicine" and "Hat" the names of two different communities? I recognize this isn't a photo from the U.S., but using a dash is the MUTCD-preferred method of separating two words on the  same line of a legend (per 2A.13 and 2E.17).

No, Medicine Hat, Alberta is one community whose name is usually written as an open compound.  I'm not sure why it appears on this sign with a hyphen.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 07, 2019, 07:50:26 PM
old Hooters & Circle K signs

The new Circle K and old Circle K logos are so similar, I couldn't even determined the difference at first.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2019, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 07, 2019, 07:50:26 PM
old Hooters & Circle K signs

The new Circle K and old Circle K logos are so similar, I couldn't even determined the difference at first.

It's amazing how many out-of-date logos you'll see on the blue signs here. Motel 6 is the most notorious of the bunch
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

ipeters61

I was visiting family in New Hope PA yesterday.  I've driven by this glorious non-reflective button copy several times but finally took a photo:

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Mergingtraffic

I'd consider this a best because it seems hard to find a well spaced out logo services sign.  Either the panels are mismatched or the font is off etc.

I-84 Danbury, CT.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

csw

Gonna slap another cutout in here. They're not the most rare, but they still look great. Clifton Forge, VA.

formulanone

A blue Loop 101 sign with button copy still lurks in Scottsdale, Arizona, with some overheads nearby:

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

From the pictures, that YIELD sign looks like it serves no purpose.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2019, 10:45:34 AM
From the pictures, that YIELD sign looks like it serves no purpose.
It more or less guards a private driveway leading to a truck lot.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Yeah.  What I'm getting at is that there's no intersection immediately beyond the sign.  What, exactly, is one supposed to yield to?
Male pronouns, please.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2019, 12:58:18 PM
Yeah.  What I'm getting at is that there's no intersection immediately beyond the sign.  What, exactly, is one supposed to yield to?
Traffic on the road that the driveway connects to.
Here's where it is:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2851757,-86.2171606,3a,49.1y,348.27h,84.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxfY8N577dZSo5lvMYFnBAA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

(They/Them)

csw

Dayton, OH, is the place to be for old button copy.

Mergingtraffic

Still on eof my favorites from Baltimore, MD.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 09, 2020, 03:58:48 PM
Still on eof my favorites from Baltimore, MD.

Life Like, a train company based in the Baltimore area, used to offer a model of this very sign as a scenic accessory - it was packaged with an illuminated overhead sign on a cantilever support.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/33438500338/in/photostream

The signs both FDOT and MDOT both use on freeways at county lines.😀

Of course partial due to living in a Florida :bigass: but good format though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Some 1990s button-copy signs on eastbound Ashlan Avenue headed towards CA 168/Sierra Freeway:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

7/8

I found this button copy sign in Columbus last summer. I took the below photo, but Google Maps' street view is better quality: https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.9692026,-82.9975248,3a,43.1y,338.38h,91.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCvG3N_ji-N_LMDSnzyLe2Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

formulanone

I found an older-style Wisconsin Trunk Highway sign with "WIS":

formulanone

Market Street (NJ 33) at US 1 in Trenton:

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman on January 09, 2020, 04:39:19 PM
Life Like, a train company based in the Baltimore area, used to offer a model of this very sign as a scenic accessory - it was packaged with an illuminated overhead sign on a cantilever support.
I had that model sign when I was a kid in the 80s and used it on my network of roads in the sandbox.  It's probably still sitting in one of the boxes of Matchbox cars and other toys that my own kid is playing with now.  I remember thinking how cool it was when I found out the sign was modeled after a real sign and there was in fact a real Jones Falls Expressway.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: formulanone on March 03, 2020, 03:52:29 PM
I found an older-style Wisconsin Trunk Highway sign with "WIS":

There are a bunch of these along CTH's in Kenosha County and I always admire them for how much better they look than what the state uses for badges. Kudos to the Kenosha County Highway Department for being resistant to change!

ipeters61

Here's an interesting all text, probably older, "Do Not Enter" sign in Laurel DE.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

formulanone

^ I think the red/white Do Not Enter signs date back to the 1971 MUTCD.

Found an old Alabama captive county sign last week:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.