The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Whoa, apparently that 2003 MUTCD spec metric speed limit sign did make it into the field

http://goo.gl/maps/VCf9B

vdeane

I've heard that US 11 north of US 2 has one as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: vdeane on October 12, 2013, 04:27:30 PM

I may have missed it, but I didn't see one when I crossed the border there back in June. Just the Quebec standard "Signalisation Metrique" sign heading northbound, and I don't recall anything at all heading southbound.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

It might be gone now; I had to fudge that clinch (turn around right before US customs, which in this case means a right turn on US 2), so all I know is what other people say when crossing into the US there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on October 12, 2013, 04:27:30 PM
There are several coming from various border crossings in NY.

bassoon1986

Not many green-filled Louisiana shields left on BGS's anymore. I'd guess that all the ones on interstates have been replaced with new signage over the last few years. At this location there's one for LA 1 in each direction (northbound saying Texarkana). Where else do you guys know of any in the field??

Stratuscaster

For your consideration...

Northbound on Main St. in Lombard.

agentsteel53

is that the one which is stamped 1969 on the back?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

This looks to be a non-button copy all-text sign.  I can't recall ever seeing one before.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on October 15, 2013, 09:06:30 PM
This looks to be a non-button copy all-text sign.  I can't recall ever seeing one before.

403 error.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

I've been there -- that's an awesome Chinese restaurant.  You must try the Pu Pu Platter!  :rofl:

Alps

Oh, they exist. Many just get replaced in kind after the buttons wear out.

NE2

Still getting a 403...? (and the Goog agrees when I try to reverse image search: "The URL doesn't refer to an image, or the image is not publicly accessible.")

[edit] WTF - I had referer sending turned off (so I can see when other people post non-embeddable images), and the server gave a 403 because I didn't send a referer. Works now that I turned it back on.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stratuscaster

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 14, 2013, 06:16:10 PM
is that the one which is stamped 1969 on the back?
I did not look at the back...perhaps next time I swing by.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 17, 2013, 03:43:31 PM
digging the '61 spec US-4.  I believe that is the only surviving one - the 5/105 assembly with square 105 shield is, IIRC, gone.

I confirm; gone since last year.

Quote from: corco on October 12, 2013, 02:31:04 PMWhoa, apparently that 2003 MUTCD spec metric speed limit sign did make it into the field
Quote from: vdeane on October 12, 2013, 04:27:30 PMI've heard that US 11 north of US 2 has one as well.

There were two types of metric speed limit signs in NY prior to the 2003 MUTCD. A modification of the standard one to say "MAXIMUM SPEED 105" with a white METRIC plaque above it, and a close copy of the Ontario spec, but with the "Km/h" capitalized (hint: it shouldn't be).

Now, all the metric speed limit signs in NY are 2003 spec, aside from the missing yellow METRIC plaque.

Locations I'm aware of:
U.S. 11 NB north of U.S.2. Between the U.S. customs and the actual border, I think that km/h becomes the primary unit, and there are several speed limit signs approaching Canada (last been there in September 2012).

All of the following are actually posted in dual units.

I-87 SB in Champlain (100 km/h).

Unsigned NY 22 SB in Mooers (90 km/h).

NY 189 SB (50, then 70, then 90 km/h).

CR 52 SB in Chateaugay, NY (90 km/h; or is it 80?).

The Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge (ON 16 / NY 812) is dual-units on all of its length, but I think it uses Ontario-spec and not MUTCD spec for metric.

I think that the Thousand Island Bridge (ON 137 / I-81) is single-unit and switches at the border, and none of the signs really comply to standards.

Vermont used to have small "104 KPH" plaques under their SPEED LIMIT 65 signs, but I don't think there's any of them left.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on October 17, 2013, 09:05:05 PM
Oh, they exist. Many just get replaced in kind after the buttons wear out.

There's one left in Kentucky. On the Mountain Parkway westbound at Exit 46.

All the ones for KY 395 at I-64 between Frankfort and Shelbyville are gone, as is one for KY 22 on northbound I-75. They were the last surviving ones that perished after widening projects.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2013, 01:43:22 PM
There's one left in Kentucky. On the Mountain Parkway westbound at Exit 46.

got a photo for us?

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Several. Just gotta wade through them.

The one that's still standing:

The ones that are gone now:

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2013, 03:18:36 PM

if you pop across one, I'd like to see it.  not that I have all that much trouble visualizing what button copy looks like, but the last one in the state would be cool to see.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 24, 2013, 03:29:58 PM

if you pop across one, I'd like to see it.  not that I have all that much trouble visualizing what button copy looks like, but the last one in the state would be cool to see.

They aren't button copy. They're text-based without button copy.

Only button copy remaining I'm aware of is an Indiana installation for I-164 on northbound US 41 before you cross the state line.

ap70621

I'd say that "BIZ 25" sign belongs in the worst off.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2013, 03:31:58 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 24, 2013, 03:29:58 PM

They aren't button copy. They're text-based without button copy.

Only button copy remaining I'm aware of is an Indiana installation for I-164 on northbound US 41 before you cross the state line.
Did they replace the racetrack sign on I-275 EB nearing Ohio?

hbelkins

Haven't been that way in awhile and wasn't aware that it existed, other than seeing some comments about it. Time to hit Street View, I guess.

http://goo.gl/maps/hCbQz

This is the back of the sign. Judging from the appearance of it, this is an Ohio installation.

jeffandnicole

Not often will a street sign playfully change a 'f' to a 'ph'...or an entire word, for that matter.  These can be found on some of the narrow streets in Philly...at least in South Philly.  Honestly, it's tough to get to 25 mph in some instances on these narrow roads where cars are parallel parked bumper to bumper on both side of the street!

Kniwt

Cold Springs Road, Coloma, Calif.
Any official sign that contains the phrase "may be shot" is a win to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.