Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: formulanone on December 03, 2013, 07:41:10 AM
Found this yesterday...an old Alabama county route shield (Butler County 50):

Needs more closeup

formulanone

Quote from: Steve on December 03, 2013, 10:54:01 PM
Needs more closeup

Dig those square bolts on a concrete post.

agentsteel53

not just any old concrete post, but a state of Alabama concrete post.  what state highway was that road, and when was it turned over to the county?  that may help date the 50 sign.  (which appears to be 50s, maybe 60s, btw.)

here's a state highway post fulfilling its original purpose, btw

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

Quote from: formulanone on December 04, 2013, 09:10:01 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 03, 2013, 10:54:01 PM
Needs more closeup

Dig those square bolts on a concrete post.

I'm surprised that I never came across that one in my travels through lower Alabama...

formulanone

'Twas on AL 10, east of Greenville.

Edit: This alignment was kept, even though there's a newer section just a tiny bit west of this little section. Probably just  one-lane wide.

FLRoads

@ Jake: my early 1940's Alabama map only shows it as an improved road off Alabama 10, so not sure if it was ever in the state system, and if so, it was very early on in route signing.

NE2

Awesome. Doesn't seem to have ever been a state highway - the 1925 map shows a definite southeasterly route on what's now SR 10 there. There's a small chance that it originally did what this 1907 map shows:

but that would take it a little east of the cutoff with the sign. None of the later officials shows a state route on CR 50.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

From the municipal service yard in Grand Junction, CO, I proudly present this:

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Zeffy

Quote from: thenetwork on December 14, 2013, 01:09:27 PM

So much epicness.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Kniwt

vdeane

Someone should show that sign to ODOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Kacie Jane

You mean the sign Kniwt sourced from the ODOT website?  Yeah, I think they're aware.  (My understanding is that the problem stems from the legislature, not the DOT.)

TEG24601

Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 21, 2013, 04:05:27 PM
You mean the sign Kniwt sourced from the ODOT website?  Yeah, I think they're aware.  (My understanding is that the problem stems from the legislature, not the DOT.)

Odd, since I recall the legislature authorizing a Speed Limit of 70 on I-84 and I-5, but ODOT was refusing to place signs due to the quality of the roadways not being suitable, but the legislature not willing to spend money on resurfacing.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

KEK Inc.

The legislature has nothing to do with the road quality.  It has to do with a 10 MPH maximum speed variance from truck speed limits, and the state refuses to increase truck speed limits over 55 MPH. 
Take the road less traveled.

vdeane

And road trains.  Who could possibly think that three trailers is a good idea?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

elsmere241

Quote from: vdeane on December 27, 2013, 12:39:13 PM

Especially in rainy Oregon.  I've driven I-84 a few times between my in-laws' house and my sister's house, and the rain makes the white trailers almost invisible.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on December 27, 2013, 12:39:13 PM

The Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike think so.  They're the only places I've ever seen triples (I've never been to Oregon).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

xonhulu

Quote from: elsmere241 on December 27, 2013, 12:45:59 PM
Especially in rainy Oregon.  I've driven I-84 a few times between my in-laws' house and my sister's house, and the rain makes the white trailers almost invisible.

And when you're passing them in the rain, the triple-trailers make the rest of the world invisible in the spray.

corco

Especially in rainy Oregon. 

The majority of Oregon is desert

signalman

Quote from: corco on December 27, 2013, 11:29:54 PM

Especially in rainy Oregon. 
The majority of Oregon is desert
The majority of the land in Oregon is desert, however the majority of the population lives west of the Cascades that can be rainy.

I was also going to suggest that Oregon ban triple trailers so they could raise the truck speed limit.  But glad I refrained from saying so earlier.  Brandon pointed out what's legal on the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road, which both have higher truck speed limits than Oregon, so wtf Oregon.  Time to loosen up on the $afety reigns.

ctsignguy

Quote from: thenetwork on December 14, 2013, 01:09:27 PM

Congratulations!   YOU HAVE WON AN ALL-EXPENSE-PAID TRIP FOR TWO......FOR A WEEK IN EXCITING ALANLAND!!!!

*Audience in Jay Ward cartoon style:  "yay"*

Our runners-up get FOUR weeks in Alanland!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

thenetwork

Can I just have the Turtle Wax, Rice-A-Roni and Z-Brick parting gifts instead?   ;-)

formulanone

The fellow looks a bit like H. Ross Perot.

elsmere241

Quote from: formulanone on January 17, 2014, 09:07:08 PM
The fellow looks a bit like H. Ross Perot.

I was thinking Mr. Magoo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.