The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

That's a Maine sign. I can tell by the LeHay font. Where is that located?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

yakra

That would be referring to the State Highway Commission that became the Maine Department of Transportation in 1972.

Old US1, Baxter Blvd, Portland.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

KillerTux

I will just leave this here. Got a pic of it a few weeks ago.

yakra

There's, uhh... another thread for Worst of Road Signs, y'know... ;)

agentsteel53

I had no idea they had LeHay in mixed case, italics, and whatever variant the word "For" is in.

the digit "1"s in Maine and Maryland's official fonts look damn near identical.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

These old round cornered DelDOT freeway signs are surprisingly still alive:

Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

and here is one that is old enough to be non-round-corner with double-bordered circular shields.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Is that one still alive? I'll need to head down to Newark and go check that out if it is.
Youtube l Flickr

relaxok

Quote from: yakra on February 24, 2011, 08:29:12 PM

Anybody have any idea how old that sign is?  The fonts remind me of 1950s commercial signage!

I'm also loving the spacing and font scale of the speed limit sign right there.  Something seems better about it than most.. am i crazy?

yakra

No newer than 1972. As far as how *old*, no idea really...
I'm not too good at spotting the specifics about typefaces, but i guess that SL looks OK. :D Old SLs come in a few shapes & sizes around here; you can still find some pretty narrow fonts, or embossed examples out in the field

D-Dey65

I just found this image of a very non-MUTCD sign in Glen Cove, New York.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmerlo441/1961225316/in/set-72157603078422877/

I really don't remember it when I was in Glen Cove last time, and I know exactly where it is.

WillWeaverRVA

As everyone (well, in Richmond) knows, the unofficial motto of my photography business is "we deliver!" Well, I'm delivering now:

Old RMA Expressway Shield (Close) by Will Weaver, on Flickr

Old RMA Expressway Shield (Closer) by Will Weaver, on Flickr
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on February 26, 2011, 10:18:26 PM
As everyone (well, in Richmond) knows, the unofficial motto of my photography business is "we deliver!" Well, I'm delivering now:

thanks!

as everyone knows, the unofficial motto of my life is "we masturbate profusely!"

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Nice find Will!!! I was finally able to photograph this old crossbuck in Essington, PA today:
Youtube l Flickr

WillWeaverRVA

The only thing I regret about these photos is the lighting situation - the sign's in a shaded area and it was somewhat hazy, leading to glare. It also wasn't exactly easy to take these photos because there's a steep ditch not far behind where I was standing! But hey, I got them. :P

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 26, 2011, 10:29:02 PM
I was finally able to photograph this old crossbuck in Essington, PA today:

Awesome find. That reminds me, I think there's a crossbuck in Richmond that uses button copy reflectors, but I'm not sure if it's still there. I am now inspired to go find it, because it could well be the only button copy left in Virginia.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CL

Here's something I just found today in the Provo area...

Sure, it's just a '61 spec shield. But to see that anywhere from Provo north to Salt Lake and Ogden is pretty dang rare. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that a mark of Scotchlite with the brown specks in several rows? They're especially visible toward the bottom of the shield.
Infrastructure. The city.

agentsteel53

yep, I know where that shield is.  between Provo and Idaho there are quite a few '61 spec I-89 shields.

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 27, 2011, 02:28:37 AM
between Provo and Idaho there are quite a few '61 spec I-89 shields.

North of Ogden into Idaho, sure. But in between Provo and Ogden?
Infrastructure. The city.

agentsteel53

I do not know the specific towns - I just know I have photos from Oct '09 with at least six '61-spec US-89 shields on the main line ... and probably a few at junctions too.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 27, 2011, 02:28:37 AM
between Provo and Idaho there are quite a few '61 spec I-89 shields.

Was the state name on them UTAH or NEW HAMPSHIRE? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

I only know of one between Provo and Ogden, but I've only driven 89 from Provo to Ogden southbound (some of it in May '10, some of it in August '10), so there very well could be more heading north

State and 5900 S, Murray

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.