News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

NE2

Click on it and you can tell.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

OracleUsr

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 08, 2011, 10:14:09 PM
Kind of interesting one in New Brunswick:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.192472,-67.282484&spn=0.011402,0.041199&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.192501,-67.282543&panoid=MKHBSrObyVynV-7RnE_jvw&cbp=12,261.85,,0,-3.81

I'm guessing that's St. Stephen, NB.

I actually crossed the Canadian Border at the truck entrance just north of Calais, ME, and came back this way.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

mightyace

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 09, 2011, 12:23:45 AM
I can't tell from that picture... is "Interstate" spelled out in that Canadian I-81 shield?

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on March 09, 2011, 12:48:20 AM
Yes, it is.

I'm surprised that "INTERSTATE" is not written bilingually.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

yakra

Not sure what it is I like about this... somebody explain it to me please,
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

I remember photographing those two 302s in February, 2010.  There is also a 201 of that style still around - do you have a photo of that?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Where are those LeHay font US 302s?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 10, 2011, 04:23:23 PM
Where are those LeHay font US 302s?

I saw two (I believe those two) between Bridgton and the NH border.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kharvey10

I just found these two goodies from Evansville, IN while searching through old pictures trying to find that one photo Jake wanted

i164shields by Kimmy1978, on Flickr

i164text by Kimmy1978, on Flickr

MDOTFanFB

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 10, 2011, 11:23:17 AM
I remember photographing those two 302s in February, 2010.  There is also a 201 of that style still around - do you have a photo of that?
www.alpsroads.net/roads/me/us_201/s.jpg is the closest I found (cut and paste)

Alps

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 27, 2011, 11:32:03 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 27, 2011, 10:29:37 PM
Where is that?  If you don't want to post it in the forums, can you PM me it?  If it's anywhere near me on a trip, I'd try to go see if it's still posted.

All i can recall offhand without trying to find my notes which are buried somewhere, was this gem was located in Eastern PA....it was at the end of a gravel semi-road that led to a business....if i find the notes, i will email the general location to you, but i think others found it as well...
It's on my PA US 6 page. I do know where it is. Will email you.

yakra

Wow, you can tell even just those numerals are LeHay. Good eyes; I'm just not that good with tyefaces myself. Maybe I should take a cue from the squared-off lower left edge of the 2? Anyway...
Jake is correct on the top one: between downtown Bridgton and the NH border -- it's at the S terminus of ME93 in Bridgton. There are quite a few in that area, and at that jct - IIRC a couple eastbound as well. I thought I had some photos, but didn't find them when I went looking for the above photos, and am too lazy to look again ATM.
The bottom shield (w/the node marker, and the red building in background) is in Windham.
I don't believe I've seen any of the old square shields on 201 -- but I rarely ever get north of Augusta. Steve, where's the example you linked? It looks quite well preserved... though the 302 shields I posted above have aged quite beautifully IMO.

ctsignguy

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 11, 2011, 04:21:43 PM
Where is that?  If you don't want to post it in the forums, can you PM me it?  If it's anywhere near me on a trip, I'd try to go see if it's still posted.

All i can recall offhand without trying to find my notes which are buried somewhere, was this gem was located in Eastern PA....it was at the end of a gravel semi-road that led to a business....if i find the notes, i will email the general location to you, but i think others found it as well...

Thanks Steve....I was having a little trouble running down my notes so i appreciate you tasking up the gauntlet here
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ctsignguy on March 11, 2011, 07:05:57 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 11, 2011, 04:21:43 PM

Thanks Steve....I was having a little trouble running down my notes so i appreciate you tasking up the gauntlet here

Thanks guys.  Looking for the exact location right now. ;)

ctsignguy

Isnt it a beaut?

I was surprised as all hell when i found it back in '08!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

kharvey10

i2702diilsh by Kimmy1978, on Flickr

found this on a old cdrom backup of mine today, the sign no longer exists.  I didn't take this photo though, so I can't send Jake any rescans of this.

yakra

I-270 2DI Illinois Shield? Took me a minute... Wot's that shield on the right?

kharvey10

its great river road Illinois shield.  this wasn't my photo, someone else took it, scanned it, and sent it to me over 10 years ago.

froggie

The standard Great River Road shield, really.  Standard design all the way from Minnesota to Lousiana...about the only real difference between the states is the state name at the bottom of the circle.

D-Dey65

Michael mentioned a sign on Wikipedia on this thread, but even if nobody did so, I'm going to post the link to another sign image along US 64 in Cimmaron, New Mexico:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U.S._Highway_64_in_Cimarron,_NM_Picture_2024.jpg
Keep in mind that this sign could be transferred to the Wikimedia Commons.

I'd also like to point out that Riverhead, Calverton, and Manorville, New York have some very old and very non-MUTCD compliant signs. I strongly suggest snapping some pics within the vicinity of the Peconic River.

Duke87

When you see a state-named square in Connecticut, you know it's old. I've seen a couple others mentioned here, anyone else spotted this one yet?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ian

Where is that CONN 17 shield???
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

NE2

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 26, 2011, 10:22:37 PM
Where is that CONN 17 shield???
It took me less than a minute to find it on Google street view. Since we're paranoid here, maybe I shouldn't even be telling you that.

(By the way, nice find, Duke.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.