News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 24, 2011, 12:05:15 AM
no, it's perfectly well-signed.  and soon we'll hopefully have state-named shields for it.  I've never seen an example of one.

Nope. Not even in Florida

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 23, 2011, 11:27:51 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 23, 2011, 10:33:20 PM

Baton Rouge

Is the I-110 a secret there? 

There's several "small" I-110 shields along Scenic Hwy (Business US 61/190) in front of the Exxon refinery there.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Revive 755

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 23, 2011, 10:22:46 PM
where is that?  attempting to kill the street-view and go back to map mode is causing google maps to seize up on me.  (did I mention it's been sucking for me lately?)

In Chicago on WB Foster Avenue just before the intersection with Lovejoy Avenue as part of a mostly well signed until the western end surface street connection between EB I-94 and WB I-90.

6a

Quote from: US71 on April 24, 2011, 12:30:17 AM

Now see, that's how you do work zones.  I hate this bullshit about double fines when there's no one around!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 6a on April 24, 2011, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 24, 2011, 12:30:17 AM

Now see, that's how you do work zones.  I hate this bullshit about double fines when there's no one around!

Damn Straight!  I'm looking @ you Georgia!

Revive 755

agentsteel53

getting up there in age.  pre-1982.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

MnDOT's former standard Interstate route marker...what I grew up with.

US71

A couple older Series B signs (single digits are often Series C or Series D)

Hot Springs, AR

Benton, AR

And a nice Series A
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Quillz

Series A is nice, it's a shame it got discontinued.

The only modern day shields I can think of that still use Series B (almost exclusively) are the Mexican Federal Highway shields, as well as 3di Quebec Autoroute shields.

wytout

Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2011, 09:29:35 AM
A couple older Series B signs (single digits are often Series C or Series D)

Hot Springs, AR

Benton, AR

I'm pretty sure these are series C
-Chris

Scott5114

Quote from: Quillz on April 30, 2011, 03:59:19 PM

The only modern day shields I can think of that still use Series B (almost exclusively) are the Mexican Federal Highway shields, as well as 3di Quebec Autoroute shields.

3 digit OK route shields also use Series B.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wytout

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2011, 12:49:47 AM
Quote from: Quillz on April 30, 2011, 03:59:19 PM

3 digit OK route shields also use Series B.

Connecticut 3 di's are square and use series b more often than not, even when at least 1 digit is a "1", making plenty of room for 3 digits in series C.
-Chris

ctsignguy

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

wytout

Quote from: ctsignguy on May 03, 2011, 09:46:42 PM
like this?
Like that!  Thanks, I was too lazy to link an example.
-Chris

Alps

ftballfan

1995hoo

I was e-mailing someone a picture from a football trip I took to Wyoming a few years ago and in the process stumbled across this sign picture I took in Granby, Colorado, on the way from Laramie back to Denver the day after the game. (I missed a turn and we went 125 miles out of the way....nice scenery, but Ms1995hoo wasn't too amused.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SSOWorld

Gotta love those signs...

typical response

O RLY?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 10, 2011, 12:52:22 PM
I was e-mailing someone a picture from a football trip I took to Wyoming a few years ago and in the process stumbled across this sign picture I took in Granby, Colorado, on the way from Laramie back to Denver the day after the game. (I missed a turn and we went 125 miles out of the way....nice scenery, but Ms1995hoo wasn't too amused.)

That reminds me; Have you ever driven through some park or preserve area and saw a sign saying "Road Closed," "Dead End" or "Do Not Enter" at something that doesn't even look like a dirt road? I've seen a lot of those on Rocky Point-Yaphank Road(Suffolk CR 21) in the Rocky Point NYS Wildlife Management Area, and along Marion County Road 314 in Ocala National Forest.

Michael

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 10, 2011, 02:24:23 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 10, 2011, 12:52:22 PM
[image snip]
That reminds me; Have you ever driven through some park or preserve area and saw a sign saying "Road Closed," "Dead End" or "Do Not Enter" at something that doesn't even look like a dirt road? I've seen a lot of those on Rocky Point-Yaphank Road(Suffolk CR 21) in the Rocky Point NYS Wildlife Management Area, and along Marion County Road 314 in Ocala National Forest.

Like this? (It's an access road to a water tank in case anyone was wondering.)

D-Dey65

Quote from: Michael on May 10, 2011, 03:03:11 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 10, 2011, 02:24:23 PM

Like this? (It's an access road to a water tank in case anyone was wondering.)
No, that's not it at all. I'm talking about places that are hardly even recognizable as hiking trails. Places that you can't be 100% sure are even paper roads or even driveways.

1995hoo

This sign is neither old nor falling apart or otherwise absurd, but this thread still seemed like the best place for it. I've passed it many times, but earlier today was the first time I got a good chance to stop the car (since there is no shoulder) to take a picture. Driving the convertible with the top down helps make that easier, of course! This sign is on the George Washington Parkway just south of the Alexandria Avenue overpass (visible in the distance) and it was posted a few years ago after a bus collided with the overpass in the right lane. The clearance in the right lane is just over 10 feet.

I love the graphic on this sign.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.