News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cartographer compares Google Maps 2010 and 2016 (vs. 1965 RMcN)

Started by kurumi, May 28, 2016, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

http://www.justinobeirne.com/essay/what-happened-to-google-maps

Three sets of samples, all showing the same thing: the number of cities shown on the maps has significantly decreased between 2010 and 2016.
If you look closely at the maps, the cities aren't the only thing that've changed. While the number of cities shown on the maps has decreased, the number of roads shown has actually increased.
The primary route across Long Island – Interstate 495 – is clearly shown as such on the 2010 map. But on the 2016 map, it's suddenly unclear: the newly upgraded roads muddle the map and 495 is lost amongst them. Worse, you can't even tell which road the "Interstate 495" icon belongs to.

The author, Justin O'Beirne, discusses wayfinding, information density, orphan cities, and even name-checks Edward Tufte. He led Apple's Maps team from 2011-2015.

My POV is that Google Maps is much more interested in steering you to a business these days and being a portal in general.

Though I do have to admit that the photo below is the most scenic part of Glastonbury CT. Google really nailed it:

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jeffandnicole

Wow.  What a long article/blog...which basically says Google decided that showing route options are more important than cities at a certain zoom.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 28, 2016, 02:27:35 PM
Wow.  What a long article/blog...which basically says Google decided that showing route options are more important than cities at a certain zoom.

Boy, are you right about that!  A very long article which basically makes no more than three or four points.  I will say that I've been frustrated with figuring out exactly what zoom levels reveal labels for very small communities, but that's about it.  There was one good quote in the article, though:
Quote from: WHAT HAPPENED TO GOOGLE MAPS? Surprising Changes to Google Maps's Cartography / Justin O'Beirne / April 2016One of my favorite Edward Tufte quotes is: "Clutter is not an attribute of information, clutter is a failure of design... fix the design rather than stripping all the detail out of the map."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wxfree

In the background of the article I can hear an old man yelling "stay off my lawn!" while he complains about how much better things were in the good old days.  Still, can anyone who loves maps tell me that the "Google-ized" version of the paper map isn't beautiful, or at least moreso than the real Google Maps?

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54ff63f0e4b0bafce6932642/t/57278f9a59827e5304ee4273/1462210489330/?format=1500w

I don't think my point is that there's anything wrong with making changes for electronic maps and optimization for different formats, but that the non-zoomable and non-optimizable nature of paper maps forces their makers to give them a certain beauty and elegance that maybe electronic maps don't have because they don't need it.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.