How the upstart US 431 dunked on the established US 241

Started by usends, March 17, 2023, 03:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

I was curious why in the 1950s the new US 431 was allowed to wipe out the long-established US 241, when instead US 241 could have just been extended north, and there would have been no need for the US 431 designation.  Recently I came across several documents in the AASHTO archive that shed some light on that situation.  Among other things, I learned:
     - US 241's circuitous route through Alabama was a result of local towns vehemently protesting ALDOT's attempt to reroute traffic through a more direct corridor.
     - The north end of US 241 wasn't always in Murfreesboro TN.  It was truncated to Huntsville AL for about a year before it was completely decommissioned.
     - The south end of US 431 wasn't always in Dothan AL.  For about four months it went only as far as Fayetteville TN (before it essentially replaced 241).
     - After the dust had settled, US 241 was gone, and in its place stood three new x31 routes.
Full article here
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

hbelkins

As far as Kentucky is concerned, 241 would have made more sense. The US 431 corridor is much closer to US 41 than to US 31.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.