News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signage from New York City

Started by M3019C LPS20, August 14, 2014, 08:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

I have an interest in mainly vintage New York City signage, and my collection revolves around them. Though some that I own in my possession are newer. Below, are individual pictures of my street signs. As of present day, I have nearly thirty, and they range from the 1920s to present day.

1950s 1st generation "STOP" sign. It would become the standard in New York City at the time of its debut, and it replaced a previous kind that was yellow in appearance and shaped as an octagon. A gray band was located in the middle of the octagon that contained the message "STOP" in black letters. The first red "STOP" signs in New York City typically had six mounting holes, such as this one shown below; however, others of the time also had only two mounting holes. The back side is bare aluminum, but others had red sides as I have noticed. Like other New York City signage of the 1950s, the label that read "DEPT OF TRAFFIC" was always located at the bottom.

The first "DO NOT ENTER" sign is known to have appeared in the 1950s in New York City. Aside from the main message, an additional message read "ONE WAY," in which was located below. This presumably provided a clearer meaning behind "DO NOT ENTER" to motorists. At least two variations were produced by the city's then Department of Traffic in the 1950s, and, like some signs of the decade, this one in particular was short-lived. In 1960, N.Y.C.D.T. first introduced the "DO NOT ENTER" sign that we know of today, and it eventually became the ideal sign for countless one-way streets. Thus, the elimination of the previous kind.

Note that the color of the sign above is due to significant aging; however, its original color was white.

The 1950s in New York City saw the last variation of the "ONE WAY" arrow sign. At least four previous versions were in use prior to this one's (as shown above) debut in the decade. This version was short-lived, and it was ultimately replaced by the modern "ONE WAY" sign we know of today.

Below, is a 1st generation 1960s "ONE WAY" sign from New York City. As mentioned above, this replaced the last variation of the "ONE WAY" arrow sign, and it became the standard. Several variations of this kind have been produced since its debut in the 1960s. One interesting observation to point out is the lack of the label "DEPT OF TRAFFIC." It was not until the 1990s that the label (now "DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION") first appeared on signs produced at the time.

This is "DEAD END STREET" was produced by the city's D.O.T. in the 1980s, and it is an old version of "DEAD END" that is today hard to find still in existence throughout the boroughs. Before "DEAD END," this was the common message for countless diamond signs for over two decades. It likely made its debut sometime in the 1950s (was originally shaped as a rectangle). At least four variations were produced by the city in its years of production.

1960s "BUS STOP" sign. A blast from the past. The sign was common to see at nearly every bus stop in the five boroughs from the time of its introduction until the 1980s.

Part two of my tour to come soon...

M3019C LPS20

Above, is an example of a Brooklyn, N.Y. porcelain street sign. It is double-sided, and the color scheme is white on black. This one in particular saw service somewhere in the Flatbush section of the borough. In the 1950s, this kind first made its debut on Brooklyn streets, and it replaced previous street signage that was in use. The set-up was made up of two individual porcelain signs (each one single-sided), and both were held in a sign case. When the first vinyl aluminum street signs appeared in 1964, this kind was practically eliminated. As of present day, a handful of survivors are known to be still in existence in Brooklyn.

The earliest street signs attached to street lamp fixtures in Queens, New York appeared as early as the 1920s. At the time, the color scheme was white on blue, and the font was identical to that of other porcelain street signage that emerged elsewhere in that decade. What I have below was likely manufactured sometime in the 1930s, and it saw service in Long Island City. It is double-sided, and it was originally in a sign case.

As time progressed in Queens, New York, this second variation appeared on the streets there.

It was introduced in the 1950s, and it was considered as the replacement of the older kind that was in service for well over two decades. Like its predecessors, this one also had its own sign case, which protected it from general vandalism to some extent. Commonly made from iron. Many of this kind remained in service well into the 1960s when the first vinyl aluminum street signs appeared there in 1964; however, they slowly dwindled as time progressed, and they are long gone today.

Here's another example of one from that decade. This one has wear and tear.

End of part two. Stay tuned for part three.

M3019C LPS20

Final part of my tour.

Porcelain "humpback" street signs. They first appeared in the late 1910s and were in production until the 1940s from what I understand. Four of the five boroughs used them. Staten Island, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Below, is my set of three. From top to bottom, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx.

1950s double-sided "NO PARKING" sign. Red on white.

"NO LEFT TURN" sign of the 1950s. Worded versions are no longer in existence in New York City nowadays.

1950s Manhattan porcelain street sign. Was in production shortly after 1960. Black on beige. Had its own sign case.

Early 2010s "Jamaica Av" street sign. From Queens, New York. This is my most newest N.Y.C. to date.

"SAFETY ZONE" sign from the Department of Traffic. Its predecessor was similar in design, but it was manufactured originally by the city's police department.

"NO PARKING" sign from the 1960s.

Another kind. Possibly from the same era.

"150 RD" from Queens, New York. Older white on green street sign.

Set of "color-coded" vinyl-aluminum street signs from the five boroughs. They were in existence from 1964 until the 1980s. From top to bottom, Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.

1960s pedestrian push button signs.

agentsteel53

very nice!

if you are looking for a bridge marker, there is a really nice porcelain Bronx Whitestone on eBay right now.  I believe it dates to the first signage from 1939.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361022189066?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

On those "humpback" signs, what does the other street name above indicate? Cross street? Off the top of my head I can't say as I recall ever having seen that style anywhere (whether New York or elsewhere). I've seen block number signs, of course, but never a second street name like that unless the street name is an "honorary" or "memorial" name (and even then, it's often on a different sign, like how New York used to have separate signs calling Seventh Avenue "Fashion Av").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 15, 2014, 09:59:28 AM
On those "humpback" signs, what does the other street name above indicate? Cross street? Off the top of my head I can't say as I recall ever having seen that style anywhere (whether New York or elsewhere). I've seen block number signs, of course, but never a second street name like that unless the street name is an "honorary" or "memorial" name (and even then, it's often on a different sign, like how New York used to have separate signs calling Seventh Avenue "Fashion Av").

The cross street was always located on the top portion, so, yes, you are correct on that. Regarding 1950s Manhattan street signs, that arrangement was the total opposite.

Though porcelain "humpback" street signs were common throughout most of New York City, they were common to see elsewhere, such as New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Aside from the northeast, they were in use as far west as Montana.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2014, 09:17:42 AM
very nice!

if you are looking for a bridge marker, there is a really nice porcelain Bronx Whitestone on eBay right now.  I believe it dates to the first signage from 1939.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361022189066?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks, but bridge markers are not necessarily my cup of tea.

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.