News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates that don't follow interstate standards

Started by KG909, September 14, 2014, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KG909

Okay so we know that the interstate system has rules and regulations but sometimes the rules aren't followed. My examples would be the I-10 in Texas where it is so isolated that it has at-grade intersections. My other is I-78 in New Jersey right before New York it is two separate surface streets (12th and 14th). Are there others?
~Fuccboi

froggie

Are you asking specifically for Interstates that are at-grade or have significant substandard features (like traffic signals or low drawbridges or the like), or asking more generally for Interstates that don't meet current Interstate standards?  The former is relatively limited though there are several examples.  There are numerous examples of the latter, in no small part due to Interstate standards having changed over the years.

KG909

Quote from: froggie on September 14, 2014, 09:47:00 PM
Are you asking specifically for Interstates that are at-grade or have significant substandard features (like traffic signals or low drawbridges or the like), or asking more generally for Interstates that don't meet current Interstate standards?  The former is relatively limited though there are several examples.  There are numerous examples of the latter, in no small part due to Interstate standards having changed over the years.
That don't meet the standard in at least one way, like yes having traffic signals or being only one lane each direction, and etc. As long as it is breaking one rule, so yeah more than just at grade.
~Fuccboi

Pink Jazz

Alaska and Puerto Rico have unsigned Interstates, but are exempt from Interstate standards, so much of the Interstates in those two places are not built to freeway standards.  In Puerto Rico, only PRI-1 (which follows PR-52 and PR-18) is a freeway in its entire length; PRI-2 (which follows PR-2 and PR-22) and PRI-3 (which follows PR-26, PR-66, PR-3, and PR-53) only have certain sections built to freeway standards.

NE2

A whole shitload don't have high enough bridges or something and thus don't meet current standards.

If you want non-freeways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gaps_in_Interstate_Highways#Freeway_gaps
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

This is where this forum could use something along the lines of the old time FAQs.

The Nature Boy

Textbook example: I-93 through the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

KG909

Quote from: NE2 on September 14, 2014, 11:29:55 PM
A whole shitload don't have high enough bridges or something and thus don't meet current standards.

If you want non-freeways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gaps_in_Interstate_Highways#Freeway_gaps
Thanks I'm trying to find some freeways like this for a trip.
~Fuccboi

KG909

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 15, 2014, 12:11:47 AM
What is it there? Narrow I'm guessing?
~Fuccboi

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

The Nature Boy

KG909

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 15, 2014, 12:36:57 AM
Quote from: KG909 on September 15, 2014, 12:26:55 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 15, 2014, 12:11:47 AM
What is it there? Narrow I'm guessing?

Very much so
Ahh but atleast it's divided so that's something. Hopefully one day I can drive there.
~Fuccboi

KG909

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 14, 2014, 11:19:35 PM
Alaska and Puerto Rico have unsigned Interstates, but are exempt from Interstate standards, so much of the Interstates in those two places are not built to freeway standards.  In Puerto Rico, only PRI-1 (which follows PR-52 and PR-18) is a freeway in its entire length; PRI-2 (which follows PR-2 and PR-22) and PRI-3 (which follows PR-26, PR-66, PR-3, and PR-53) only have certain sections built to freeway standards.
So they're unsigned but technically they still exist and, by the most part, are freeways?
~Fuccboi

Molandfreak

Quote from: KG909 on September 15, 2014, 12:45:15 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 14, 2014, 11:19:35 PM
So they're unsigned but technically they still exist and, by the most part, are freeways?
A couple in Puerto Rico are toll roads, but otherwise no.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

hbelkins

Go to the FreewayJim YouTube channel and you will see at least two videos of his drives through Franconia Notch on I-93.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I'll see your I-93 through Franconia Notch and raise you I-81 over the Thousand Islands Bridge:

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Road Hog

I bet the bridge deck is slick from all that dressing.

SidS1045

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 15, 2014, 12:35:20 AM]two lanes

Also:  Speed limit is 45mph, exits are sequentially lettered (34A, 34B, 34C) instead of numbered.  The eight miles through Franconia Notch are officially designated as a parkway (no heavy trucking permitted) and an act of Congress was required to make exceptions to the normal construction standards for Interstate highways.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Molandfreak

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 15, 2014, 10:48:09 PM
Speed limit is 45mph
That's against Interstate standards? I thought it just had to have a 60 mph design standard...

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 15, 2014, 10:56:50 PM
Speed limit is 45mph
That's against Interstate standards? I thought it just had to have a 60 mph design standard...

Speed limit is 45 through Springfield, MA on I-91 and 55 in other parts of the Northeast.

adventurernumber1

Two that immediately come to mind are that portion of I-93 in NH that's one lane each way (though it looks like a beautiful, unique drive), and we all know that I-180 in Wyoming that calls itself an interstate.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Pink Jazz

Also, I-264 in Hampton Roads along the Berkley Bridge and the Downtown Tunnel has a variable speed limit, but is usually set to 35.

wxfree

As a historical example, southbound I-35W in Texas reduced to one lane for a short distance before merging with I-35E north of Hillsboro until the new interchange was built.  It was, for a short bit, a three-lane Interstate.

Edit:  Google Street View imagery shows that both directions of I-35W have one lane near the I-35E merge in Denton, making for a short stretch of two-lane Interstate.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

DandyDan

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 15, 2014, 12:35:20 AM]two lanes

Also:  Speed limit is 45mph, exits are sequentially lettered (34A, 34B, 34C) instead of numbered.  The eight miles through Franconia Notch are officially designated as a parkway (no heavy trucking permitted) and an act of Congress was required to make exceptions to the normal construction standards for Interstate highways.
If having a 45 mph speed limit makes a freeway not up to interstate standard, then I-35E going SW from downtown St. Paul, MN would not be up to standard, either, although otherwise, it would be.

Of course, the real shocking thing no one has mentioned yet is Breezewood.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

froggie

Quote from: SidS1045The eight miles through Franconia Notch are officially designated as a parkway (no heavy trucking permitted)

While it's officially designated as a parkway, heavy trucking *IS* permitted.

As for low speed limits, they are not against Interstate standards per se.  Low design speeds are.  There are situations where a 50 MPH design speed is acceptable (usually involving urban or mountainous areas), but a design speed lower than that requires an exemption and would, technically, be against standards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.