News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstates that don't follow interstate standards

Started by KG909, September 14, 2014, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisvishr0

Does I-95 N at I-93, south of Boston, count? It's a one-lane tight cloverleaf with an advisory speed of 25mph.

Arkansastravelguy

I would argue I-55 at Crump in Memphis is substandard

iPhone

bing101

Zeffy

No one's mentioned Breezewood yet? Breezewood. Just like I-78 in Jersey City, but probably much worse.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Henry

Quote from: wisvishr0 on September 16, 2014, 10:04:17 AM
Does I-95 N at I-93, south of Boston, count? It's a one-lane tight cloverleaf with an advisory speed of 25mph.
I think so, seeing that I-95 was originally to continue north into the city before that project was shelved due to community opposition. I-95 S at the Capital Beltway, north of Washington, was the same way until they built that flyover which somewhat improved thru traffic to a degree.

And while we're at it, I-278 through New York has lots of substandard stretches along the way.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Henry on September 16, 2014, 10:50:45 AM
Quote from: wisvishr0 on September 16, 2014, 10:04:17 AM
I think so, seeing that I-95 was originally to continue north into the city before that project was shelved due to community opposition. I-95 S at the Capital Beltway, north of Washington, was the same way until they built that flyover which somewhat improved thru traffic to a degree.
It is worth noting that there are plans to redo that Canton I-95/93 interchange.  The tight single lane cloverleaf ramp (originally intended to carry exiting traffic as opposed to through-traffic) will be replaced with a two-lane fly-over ramp.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: Henry on September 16, 2014, 10:50:45 AM
And while we're at it, I-278 through New York has lots of substandard stretches along the way.
That implies that I-278 has stretches that aren't substandard.  Maybe on Staten Island, but that's it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

I-68 along its viaduct in Cumberland, Md., but I'd suspect it got an exemption.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SidS1045

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2014, 08:24:00 AM
While it's officially designated as a parkway, heavy trucking *IS* permitted.

Not unless the original regulations on the Parkway were changed.  The intent of making one lane in each direction with a low speed limit and keeping heavy trucks out was to minimize environmental damage in the Notch, and in particular to avoid damaging the then-fragile Old Man of the Mountain.  Since the Old Man's collapse in 2003, they may have changed the rules.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Molandfreak

Quote from: DandyDan on September 16, 2014, 05:56:59 AM
If having a 45 mph speed limit makes a freeway not up to interstate standard, then I-35E going SW from downtown St. Paul, MN would not be up to standard, either, although otherwise, it would be.
Actually, it's slightly too narrow and I believe the Ayd Mill Road interchange is substandard.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

Quote from: SidS1045Not unless the original regulations on the Parkway were changed.  The intent of making one lane in each direction with a low speed limit and keeping heavy trucks out was to minimize environmental damage in the Notch, and in particular to avoid damaging the then-fragile Old Man of the Mountain.  Since the Old Man's collapse in 2003, they may have changed the rules.

Possibly.  I never got up to the area until 2004.  Whatever the rules may have been before, they certainly do allow trucks through Franconia Notch today.

Quote from: Molandfreak
Quote from: DandyDanIf having a 45 mph speed limit makes a freeway not up to interstate standard, then I-35E going SW from downtown St. Paul, MN would not be up to standard, either, although otherwise, it would be.
Actually, it's slightly too narrow and I believe the Ayd Mill Road interchange is substandard.

Inside (left) shoulder isn't standard, as is the pavement on the northbound off-ramp at Ayd Mill Rd.  Otherwise, it meets all the requirements for a 55 MPH design speed Interstate.

NE2

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 16, 2014, 04:17:59 PM
Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2014, 08:24:00 AM
While it's officially designated as a parkway, heavy trucking *IS* permitted.

Not unless the original regulations on the Parkway were changed.  The intent of making one lane in each direction with a low speed limit and keeping heavy trucks out was to minimize environmental damage in the Notch, and in particular to avoid damaging the then-fragile Old Man of the Mountain.  Since the Old Man's collapse in 2003, they may have changed the rules.

The parkway directly replaced US 3, which allowed trucks.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cl94

You could include I-190 north of Niagara Falls on the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge between New York and Ontario. 5 lanes undivided, middle three are reversible. While it's the only bridge in the area with a direct and complete Interstate connection (Ontario has 400-series highways connecting to each of the three major bridges), it has the smallest inspection facilities on both sides, causing large backups every day.

While we're talking about New York, I-95 on the Cross Bronx is very substandard. Actually, just about every stretch of Interstate highway in the City is substandard. Upstate, I-790 doesn't connect to its parent in one direction, I-587 connects to its parent via a roundabout, and I-490 has a tight section in Downtown Rochester with sharp curves and a 40 mph speed limit. During its first few years of existence, I-87 had a grade crossing north of Exit 7 in Latham, but that's been gone for decades.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

I wouldn't call the Canadian plaza for Lewiston-Queenston "small".  More like it has all the traffic.  Both Rainbow plazas are smaller (also, ON 420 ends shy of the border due to downloading).  Lewiston-Queenston is also one of the few complete freeway-freeway border crossings.  All of the others except Blue Water have an at-grade somewhere, typically on the Canadian side just past the plaza (though the Peace Bridge on is on the American side, though that will be fixed if Cuomo has his way).

Many Rochester interstates don't follow standards due to short/nonexistent acceleration/deceleration lanes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 20, 2014, 06:19:29 PM
I wouldn't call the Canadian plaza for Lewiston-Queenston "small".  More like it has all the traffic.  Both Rainbow plazas are smaller (also, ON 420 ends shy of the border due to downloading).  Lewiston-Queenston is also one of the few complete freeway-freeway border crossings.  All of the others except Blue Water have an at-grade somewhere, typically on the Canadian side just past the plaza (though the Peace Bridge on is on the American side, though that will be fixed if Cuomo has his way).

Yeah, they've been talking about that one for ages. Needs it because it's one of the busiest border crossings, but the residents in Black Rock (in homes built after the bridge) don't want to move. They could just build another bridge, but the US plaza can't be expanded without taking out 2-3 blocks. Granted, all of one is abandoned and owned by the Peace Bridge Authority (which residents are not happy about), but the one adjacent to the plaza itself is ~75% occupied. They're widening the approach to the full width of the plaza starting just east of the through truss, but that's the most they can do until the idiots in Black Rock shut up and a new plaza can go in.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Zeffy on September 16, 2014, 10:48:27 AM
No one's mentioned Breezewood yet? Breezewood. Just like I-78 in Jersey City, but probably much worse.

Breezewood? Sorry, no contest.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

cl94

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on September 21, 2014, 12:45:28 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 16, 2014, 10:48:27 AM

Breezewood? Sorry, no contest.

Breezewood doesn't even need to be mentioned because it's the most famous of them

machias

Quote from: cl94 on September 20, 2014, 02:26:31 PM
While we're talking about New York, I-95 on the Cross Bronx is very substandard. Actually, just about every stretch of Interstate highway in the City is substandard. Upstate, I-790 doesn't connect to its parent in one direction, I-587 connects to its parent via a roundabout, and I-490 has a tight section in Downtown Rochester with sharp curves and a 40 mph speed limit. During its first few years of existence, I-87 had a grade crossing north of Exit 7 in Latham, but that's been gone for decades.

Technically I-790 has never been up to standards. Prior to the MUD Project in 1989, I-790 was a two-lane road that was maintained by the Thruway authority from the Thruway toll booths to the NY 5-8-12 expressway. They made it much more interstate compatible with the MUD project, but they didn't quite get it all the way.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 21, 2014, 01:30:52 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 20, 2014, 02:26:31 PM

Technically I-790 has never been up to standards. Prior to the MUD Project in 1989, I-790 was a two-lane road that was maintained by the Thruway authority from the Thruway toll booths to the NY 5-8-12 expressway. They made it much more interstate compatible with the MUD project, but they didn't quite get it all the way.

I know it wasn't. That's the crazy thing about it. It's one of the only Interstate highways that was built as a two-lane, undivided highway with an at-grade intersection. It outdid both I-93 in New Hampshire and I-180 in Wyoming.

CentralPAGal

I'm surprised nobody mentioned I-83 in PA yet. An old highway with large stretches with substandard or no median shoulders, some areas with almost no outside shoulders, poor exit ramp geometry, outdated interchanges, etc
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Arkansastravelguy

I think most of I-70/76 Penna Turnpike is substandard as well as I-70 to the ohio border

iPhone

signalman

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on September 21, 2014, 04:32:49 PM
I think most of I-70/76 Penna Turnpike is substandard as well as I-70 to the ohio border

iPhone
I-70 is only substandard between New Stanton and I-79 (the Eastern beginning of the I-70/79 concurrency).  Also, I-70 enters WV from PA, not Ohio.  I know it's only 11 miles, but it does enter WV before Ohio.

Arkansastravelguy

Oh yes you are correct. Oops on my part. I went that way a few weeks ago to see the suspension bridge in Wheeling. Double dumbass oops on my part

iPhone

CentralPAGal

Schuylkill Expressway (I-76 between Philadelphia and the PA turnpike). And 676, too
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

cl94

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.