Next state to raise speed limit to 80 mph

Started by Pink Jazz, September 21, 2014, 07:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think will be the next state to raise its speed limit to 80 mph?

Arizona
6 (8.5%)
Colorado
0 (0%)
Kansas
4 (5.6%)
Louisiana
0 (0%)
Maine
1 (1.4%)
Montana
20 (28.2%)
Nebraska
2 (2.8%)
Nevada
11 (15.5%)
New Mexico
5 (7%)
North Dakota
5 (7%)
Oklahoma
4 (5.6%)
South Dakota
6 (8.5%)
Other (specify)
7 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 11, 2018, 11:41:46 PM
The only stretches of California freeway that I would feel comfortable doing 80 MPH are the rural sections of I-5, from Redding to the Grapevine, and I-10, I-40 and I-8 across the Mojave desert.  I thought about adding in I-15 east of Barstow but there's too many hills and grades.

Granted, getting speed limits raised in California is never going to happen because they would have to raise the current 55 MPH limit on trucks (80/55 is way to big of gap between limits).

I would agree and these days, only Montana and California have a 15 mph differential. California as a compromise should pull an Idaho: 80T70 in flat, 75T65 in more mountainous.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

US 89

Why even have a truck limit? Utah has just a flat 80 in most rural areas and seems to do fine with it.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 12, 2018, 01:27:05 AM
Why even have a truck limit? Utah has just a flat 80 in most rural areas and seems to do fine with it.
It's a compromise. I don't have any truck limits in my plans (tier one of my Oregon speed limits exempt) except for those in curvy or mountainous areas.

Running till I die.

vdeane

Anybody guess Nebraska?  Interesting though that the most populous part of the state might be the first part to get 80... normally, it's the reverse!
http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/i--from-omaha-to-lincoln-could-jump-to-mph/article_4b5029c2-fae4-11e7-8d3c-affe9a07d629.html
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2018, 05:11:04 PM
Anybody guess Nebraska?  Interesting though that the most populous part of the state might be the first part to get 80... normally, it's the reverse!
http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/i--from-omaha-to-lincoln-could-jump-to-mph/article_4b5029c2-fae4-11e7-8d3c-affe9a07d629.html
Defies traditional logic. The only explanation would be the recent improvements there that was mentioned.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.