News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Another non-FHWA typeface -- Gotham?

Started by afiler, December 30, 2014, 08:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afiler

The other day I spotted yet another font being used by the city of Seattle. This one is awfully FHWA-like, but it still jumped out at me as soon as I saw it. The city already uses Franklin Gothic on most non-MUTCD signs, there's a (semi-?)custom font on older street blades, and I think some custom parking signs (e.g. "Police Vehicle Only") are now in Helvetica.

This font is something else. Just by looking at the R, you can see it's not Helvetica, Arial, or Franklin Gothic. By looking at the E or S you can see it's not FHWA Series D. The closest match I've been able to come up with is Gotham Medium squished to 80% of its normal width, but it's not a complete match -- the squishing makes the stroke width on the S uneven, and the crossbar on the R in Gotham Medium is too low. Is it another weight of Gotham, or a Gotham knockoff, or maybe even a heavily-modified Series D?

jakeroot

Seattle is starting to remind me of British Columbia during the latter half of the 20th century -- very little damage control for sign consistency. That said, no one is going to be harmed by the incorrect typeface selection, but it is rather funny.

Billy F 1988

It's kinda close to what Montana used in the early days before the feds took the fun away.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Stratuscaster

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.