News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs With Italicized Text

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, January 11, 2015, 12:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

So going about the freeways of SoCal before this past New Years' got me to see some new freeways and with that new sign pictures (even at night, with my best efforts with my camera). And one of them happens to be this interesting one on CA-91 west approaching the CA-241 tollway, which features italicized text:

What other signs out there feature italicized text?

MarkF

Not only that, it's italicized button copy.

SignGeek101

There's this one I found while searching on the internet.

Not my pic.

Can't think of any in my area off the top of my head.

jakeroot

"TSUNAMI"

english si

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 11, 2015, 01:18:19 AMThere's this one I found while searching on the internet.
All Irish language on Irish signs is italicised (and has Gaelic 'A's and dotless 'i's).

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kurumi

"DON'T SPEED" entering CT: http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/ct_35/ (Michael Summa, via Steve Alpert)
"KEEP RIGHT" on original I-95 guide sign: http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/i-95/s3.html, scroll down (Michael Summa, via Steve Alpert)

I remember (but don't have a photo) of signs like "USE OF RADAR DETECTORS IS ILLEGAL IN CONNECTICUT" because CT was hardcore about speed enforcement (so were NY, PA, MA, ...)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bigboi00069

Not sure how much this counts, but there are a bunch of speed limit signs on US 1 in Hallandale/Hollywood that have somewhat slanted text. Here is an example, though i think there are others with even more slanted text.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.997354,-80.142658,3a,22.6y,33.24h,85.36t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sq0sSlmxuT82qL_NE3uzMjw!2e0

PurdueBill

Quote from: Takumi on January 11, 2015, 10:32:41 AM

The "0 TOLERANCE" is not immediately obvious as "zero tolerance" as if it were just spelled out.  Or better, not included at all.  There's a point where stuff doesn't belong on a sign.  "Strictly enforced" seems OK; "zero tolerance" seems to cross the line.  Leave that for things like signs approaching the Mexican border reminding people that Weapons are Prohibited.  THAT is a spot where "Zero Tolerance" as a warning seems appropriate.

roadman

The original iteration of "Headlights On For Safety" signs on the super-2 portion of MA Route 2 between Phillipston and Orange in the 1990s were italicized.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SignGeek101

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on January 22, 2015, 04:00:04 PM
The original iteration of "Headlights On For Safety" signs on the super-2 portion of MA Route 2 between Phillipston and Orange in the 1990s were italicized.

For that matter, so was NEXT RIGHT or similar wording along the bottom of advance-warning paddle signs until probably 20 or 30 years ago.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.