News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State route BGS shields that don't match standalone shields

Started by Pink Jazz, January 16, 2015, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Did anyone mention Michigan yet? Standalone shields have an "M" at the top, while BGS shields do not.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

The Indiana BGS route markers do, in fact, have the state name. They have the black outline and are pretty much identical to the standalone markers.

However, Illinois' BGS route markers do not have the black outline.

No one has mentioned the Connecticut outline button copy state route markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kurumi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 18, 2015, 03:44:25 PM

Like this:

Thankfully those are going away.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alps

Quote from: kurumi on January 18, 2015, 04:20:17 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 18, 2015, 03:44:25 PM

Like this:

Thankfully those are going away.
Why in any way are you thankful?

Kacie Jane

Quote from: TEG24601 on January 18, 2015, 12:24:10 PM
The only real difference in Washington, that I recall, is that on the BGSes, the route shield is a cut out, but is on a black background when stand alone...

Quote from: NE2 on January 16, 2015, 09:36:03 PM
I'll shoot anyone who mentions the background being removed on guide signs.

I'll just leave this here.

Scott5114

Oklahoma has subtle differences involving the placement of the state outline relative to the number. On BGS signs the number is quite a bit further south.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KEK Inc.

I'd say Idaho has different shields from the BGS, but I don't really know what's the proper standard for their shields. 

Take the road less traveled.

corco

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 18, 2015, 08:06:18 PM
I'd say Idaho has different shields from the BGS, but I don't really know what's the proper standard for their shields. 

That is the proper shield standard- top is normal BGS, bottom is normal standalone marker.

froggie

Steve Riner already mentioned what Minnesota does with county routes.

Minnesota also has another difference:  3-digit US and Minnesota routes have 2-digit-sized shields for standalone shields, but 3-digit-sized shields on guide signage.  There are a few examples otherwise, of a 3-digit-size standalone shield (first one coming to mind is MN 210 around Fergus Falls), but these are contractor errors.

roadman

Until the mid 1990s, Massachusetts state route shields on BGS signs omitted the inset border, while standalone shields had the border.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bandit957

When I went to Utah years ago, I noticed that some of the really old BGS's used a distorted beehive that looked like a big puffy cloud instead of the beehive on stand-alone shields.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

NE2

Quote from: bandit957 on January 21, 2015, 01:19:09 PM
When I went to Utah years ago, I noticed that some of the really old BGS's used a distorted beehive that looked like a big puffy cloud instead of the beehive on stand-alone shields.

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ut/i-15/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

on_wisconsin

Wisconsin's STH BGS shield is different then the standalone version, it is more rounded and has slightly different aspect ratio.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on January 21, 2015, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 21, 2015, 01:19:09 PM

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ut/i-15/

Quit goofing around, Utah.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on January 21, 2015, 12:36:08 PM
Until the mid 1990s, Massachusetts state route shields on BGS signs omitted the inset border, while standalone shields had the border.
Additionally, such omission of the inset border was done on state BGS shields since the early 70s.  Earlier BGS' included the black inset on state route shields (which were usually more rectangular) as well as on US shields*.

The original 70s era modern BGS' along US 1 and I-95 in Peabody & Danvers had a mixture of shields with and without black insets. 

The BGS' at the MA 114 interchange had the inset borders but the ones further north at the MA 62 interchange did not.  The dividing line seemed to be at the Centre St./Dayton St. interchange.  If one was heading to US 1 South from Centre St., they were greeting with two 1 SOUTH TO 114 Peabody BGS' at each right turn; the one just after the US 1 overpass had the black insets on both shields but the one at the Dayton St. intersection did not.

It's assumed that the BGS' from Centre St. south are slightly older (~1 year) than the BGS' northward.

*A couple recent LGS' along US 20 at MA 32 in Palmer feature black inset borders on its US 20 shields.

US 20 West D8 LGS

US 20 East-MA 32 South D6 LGS (pardon the GSV blur on the US 20 shield)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

Florida used to have "partial cutouts" on most BGSes, where the number is boxed in on the west coast of the outline, just like the standalone shields. But the east coast was cut away. These seemed to disappear in the 1990s, but they can still be found from time to time.

There were also stretched rectangle shields for some 1970s/80s-era three-digit routes. This style seems to be gone now.

They would get even more of a stretch at the Panhandle if it was a state secondary route (S-###).

(Photo courtesy of AlpsRoads/Michael Summa)

lordsutch

Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2015, 10:03:11 PM
Texas. Farm Roads on the exit signs are rectangles with FM and the route number. The free standing Farm Road signs are white silhouettes on black with a black number.

A far more subtle difference: for state highways, the word "TEXAS" appears on the top of the marker on a BGS, but on the bottom of the standalone shield.

bandit957

Quote from: formulanone on January 21, 2015, 04:25:46 PM
They would get even more of a stretch at the Panhandle if it was a state secondary route (S-###).

Wow, that looks ridiculous.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

vtk

At least it's a simple extension, rather than a stretch like is so easily done with computers these days...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 21, 2015, 02:44:40 PM
Quote from: roadman on January 21, 2015, 12:36:08 PM
Additionally, such omission of the inset border was done on state BGS shields since the early 70s.  Earlier BGS' included the black inset on state route shields (which were usually more rectangular) as well as on US shields*.

The original 70s era modern BGS' along US 1 and I-95 in Peabody & Danvers had a mixture of shields with and without black insets. 

The BGS' at the MA 114 interchange had the inset borders but the ones further north at the MA 62 interchange did not.  The dividing line seemed to be at the Centre St./Dayton St. interchange.  If one was heading to US 1 South from Centre St., they were greeting with two 1 SOUTH TO 114 Peabody BGS' at each right turn; the one just after the US 1 overpass had the black insets on both shields but the one at the Dayton St. intersection did not.

It's assumed that the BGS' from Centre St. south are slightly older (~1 year) than the BGS' northward.

I miss those old signs as I once lived not too far from them.  I seem to recall that in the late 80s or early 90s(?) a pair of old stacked BGSs were faithfully carbon-copied with very rectangular 114 shields with inset borders approaching 114 on US 1 NB, but alas they did not last all that long because the general replacement along that stretch with overheads with boring shields happened soon after.

I always wondered about the BGS signing on US 1 through Saugus and Lynnfield that is also from the 90s, in many instances on the all-access section in Saugus being the first BGSs for the old interchanges that previously only had paddle signage for advances (Lynn Fells Parkway being the exception due to its younger age)....They seemed to use the Walnut St. interchange lawns for some storage and preparation.  Guess which interchange NEVER got any new BGSs (despite MA 129 entering/leaving US 1 there)....yep, Walnut Street.  Never understood how they overlooked, missed, omitted, or whatever.

On IN 25 near Delphi the new signage for the US 421/IN 18/IN 39 exit has borderless perfectly square shields for 18 and 39 that scream that they were made by someone more familiar with making Illinois signage.  They look totally wrong. 

I am with Steve.  Why be thankful that the Connecticut button copy outline markers are going away?  I like them.  Connecticut should have pulled a Caltrans and made standalone markers white on green, leaving BGS shields alone, so that they would all match.  :D  (And specify button copy for the shields, even on otherwise reflective signs, because I said so.)

cjk374

Quote from: bandit957 on January 21, 2015, 09:24:01 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 21, 2015, 04:25:46 PM

Wow, that looks ridiculous.

Looks like FL now owns Mobile, Gulfport, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and everything from there to Houston.  :sombrero: :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

NE2

Quote from: cjk374 on January 22, 2015, 06:27:07 AM
Looks like FL now owns Mobile, Gulfport, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and everything from there to Houston.  :sombrero: :pan:
West Florida will rise again.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 22, 2015, 01:03:28 AMI miss those old signs as I once lived not too far from them.  I seem to recall that in the late 80s or early 90s(?) a pair of old stacked BGSs were faithfully carbon-copied with very rectangular 114 shields with inset borders approaching 114 on US 1 NB, but alas they did not last all that long because the general replacement along that stretch with overheads with boring shields happened soon after.
Sometime around 1983 or 1984; the DPW replaced the shields on its BGS' along I-95 mainline between Exits 46 and 50 (the numbers & exit tabs weren't erected yet) with ones that were (more) reflective.  These newer MA 62 & MA 114 shields did not have the black insets and the ground-mounted BGS' had smaller, squarer shields vs. the retro-fitted shields on the overhead BGS'. 

Additionally, the replacement US 1 shields for those I-95 BGS' were white squares with the US shield outlined in them.

IIRC, the only BGS' along US 1 mainline that had the 80s replacement shields placed on them were at the I-95 interchange (Exit 50) and at I-95/MA 128 interchange (Exit 44); the latter BGS' were only a year or two old when the DPW erected replacement I-95 & MA 128 shields (the original shields featured the experimental font that both the DPW & RIDOT toyed around with at the time).  Strangely, one supplemental BGS along US 1 South between Exit 46 & 44 replaced its I-95 shield but not the accompanying I-90 shield that had a very strange font for the 90 numerals.

The newly replaced shields also coincided with the DPW rewording its I-95/MA 128 interchange BGS from:

95 SOUTH 128
Burlington
Gloucester

to

95 SOUTH 128 NORTH-SOUTH
Burlington
Gloucester

(the direction cardinals were much smaller and the NORTH-SOUTH listings for 128 were stacked vertically)

Additionally, the original 70s era ground-mounted BGS at the MA 114 East exit ramp from US 1 South was replaced with an identical BGS (sans the the black inset for the MA 114 shield & displaced EAST lettering (the DPW accidentally featured NORTH-SOUTH cardinals for 114 and changed them some 2 years later)) sometime during the late 80s.  Such was like a replacement due to the original BGS being damaged in an accident.

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 22, 2015, 01:03:28 AMI always wondered about the BGS signing on US 1 through Saugus and Lynnfield that is also from the 90s, in many instances on the all-access section in Saugus being the first BGSs for the old interchanges that previously only had paddle signage for advances (Lynn Fells Parkway being the exception due to its younger age)....They seemed to use the Walnut St. interchange lawns for some storage and preparation.  Guess which interchange NEVER got any new BGSs (despite MA 129 entering/leaving US 1 there)....yep, Walnut Street.  Never understood how they overlooked, missed, omitted, or whatever.
If memory serves, I briefly saw a set of proposed signing plans during the late 80s at the District 5 DPW office that showed a revised diamond interchange for US 1/MA 129 & Walnut St. as well as freeway-style BGS'.  Needless to say, that interchange redesign & corresponding sings never happened.

Prior to the 90s, the only BGS' along US 1 between but not including the I-95/MA 128 & MA 99 interchanges in S. Lynnfield & Saugus were the early-70s era BGS at the Lynn Fells Parkway and the late 60s/early 70s BGS' (with button-copy all-caps lettering) at the MA 129 East/Lynnfield St. interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ekt8750

Jersey puts all of its BGS shields on backdrops (except interstates) and that includes county roads which are on gold backdrops. Standalones are of the cutout variety.

cl94

Quote from: ekt8750 on January 22, 2015, 11:49:34 PM
Jersey puts all of its BGS shields on backdrops (except interstates) and that includes county roads which are on gold backdrops. Standalones are of the cutout variety.

Quote from: NE2 on January 16, 2015, 09:36:03 PM
I'll shoot anyone who mentions the background being removed on guide signs.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.