News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signs that are too broad and could be more specific

Started by roadman65, January 23, 2015, 12:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: TEG24601 on January 24, 2015, 10:35:15 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 23, 2015, 12:29:49 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Woodbridge+Township,+NJ/@40.54005,-74.297462,3a,37.5y,140.74h,82.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRPLssxwC1cyRP2A8U9MQxw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c3b5b758c6349b:0x938c0e659e3a78da
This one here(located below the green sign on the brown face) lets motorists entering the NJ Turnpike from Exit 11 to use Exit 4 for the State Aquarium, however it does not say whether to go North or South on the Turnpike.

Since the sign is on the right, I would assume that you need to go North (as that is the right hand exit/through lanes).  If you needed to go South, that sign should be on the Left. - And now that I have checked the map, it tells me that whomever erected that sign is an idiot.  If they aren't going to add anymore information is should be on the Left, since you need to go South to reach exit 4, or it should actually be a reassurance sign on the Southbound ramp.
The problem with engineers in New Jersey is that they think everyone is local and knows where the relationships are between the exits.

Then you have the toll roads being destinations themselves.  Like it was mentioned about the NYS Thruway in Syracuse on I-81 using that logic before Buffalo and Albany were both introduced to the last sign upgrade.  If it were not for the MUTCD the "Parkway" would still have no control cities other than
"Shore Points" and "Cape May Ferry" at the big 129 split and of course from the ACE in Egg Harbor Township, as those signs are erected by the South Jersey Transportation Authority and not the NJTA or the now defunct NJHA.

Just as bridges and tunnels are considered valid destinations, so are the toll roads in the North-East as even Pennsylvania for decades used the PA Turnpike as a control point from connecting freeways besides NY, NJ, MA, and wherever.

As far as the person erecting that sign being an idiot, you are right.  It must be the same person who signed Winfield Park for SB Exit 136 who forgot to install a follow up sign later on as it requires a u turn through the Concord Street jughandle on CR 615 due to a left turn prohibition at the end of the ramp.  Also it could be the same idiot who signed NJ 82 West at Exit 139B without follow up signs on Chestnut St/ Stuyvesant Ave especially being direct lefts are prohibited onto NJ 82 from Stuyvesant Avenue in Downtown Union.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

There's a "Historic Site" Big Brown Sign somewhere along I-95, with the exit number, I believe in the Carolinas.  No, it doesn't specific the historic site.  It just says "Historic Site".

SignGeek101

Any control city that says "Canada" or, on this side of the border: U.S.A.

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadman65

I used to hate (and I still do) when NYCDOT (and the NYSTA) use "New Jersey" as a control city when we do actually have cities, towns, townships, boroughs, and even villages with names that can be used.

I used to feel that other states have something against New Jersey that none of our cities made it onto highway guides on major freeways and some small signs, and especially on the PANYNJ crossings.

Now I am sort of relieved that the NYCDOT placed Newark or Trenton now on I-95 guide signs and pull through signs in NYC.  Also to the fact that Perth Amboy is (or was as NYCDOT did recently remove Jersey City from the I-278 guides at NY 440 NB) used on NY 440 SB near the Outerbridge Crossing.

Also to the fact that NJDOT does indeed use "Pennsylvania" on I-78 at Phillipsburg instead of "Easton" as PA, also, is one to use New Jersey on guide signs instead of places in it in many places.  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

However, the NYSTA still uses "New Jersey" at Exits 13, 14A, and 15 for the PIP, GSP, and I-287 instead of the GWB for the PIP, Newark for the GSP, and of course Morristown for I-287 as that is what is used once inside New Jersey.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on January 24, 2015, 08:56:42 PM
I used to feel that other states have something against New Jersey that none of our cities made it onto highway guides on major freeways and some small signs, and especially on the PANYNJ crossings.

Every state hates us.

Fuck them. There's something special about living in Jersey, and given the choice I wouldn't have it any other way.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on January 24, 2015, 10:50:08 PM

Every state hates us.

That isn't true.  Some people in New Jersey have the idea that it's the most hated place in the universe, but after a lot of years away it just does not seem to be the case.  Far more people hate New York, California, Texas... hell, New Jersey has been a consistently marketable cultural commodity for years now.  They can't get enough damn movies and TV shows made featuring it to satisfy the demand.

There's a lot to say about New Jersey in some other thread, but for now let it suffice to say there is not this massive swell of hatred for the place out there.  That's inferiority complex bullshit that comes from New Jerseyans first and foremost.

–Jerseyman in exile

Takumi

Would a blank BGS be considered too broad? I have a photo of one somewhere...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alex4897

Every state hates us.

Fuck them. There's something special about living in Jersey, and given the choice I wouldn't have it any other way.

At least you get mentioned, Delaware gets the shaft more often than not.
👉😎👉

xcellntbuy

Quote from: NE2 on January 23, 2015, 05:29:26 PM

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ma/i-90/

Thread over.
I remember those signs from long, long ago.  It may have been most appropriate from West Stockbridge, MA at the still partial interchange with MA 41.

jwolfer

Quote from: Alex4897 on January 25, 2015, 10:06:16 AM

Every state hates us.

At least you get mentioned, Delaware gets the shaft more often than not.
Delaware is that even a state?

jwolfer

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 24, 2015, 11:09:33 PM

Every state hates us.

That isn't true.  Some people in New Jersey have the idea that it's the most hated place in the universe, but after a lot of years away it just does not seem to be the case.  Far more people hate New York, California, Texas... hell, New Jersey has been a consistently marketable cultural commodity for years now.  They can't get enough damn movies and TV shows made featuring it to satisfy the demand.

There's a lot to say about New Jersey in some other thread, but for now let it suffice to say there is not this massive swell of hatred for the place out there.  That's inferiority complex bullshit that comes from New Jerseyans first and foremost.

–Jerseyman in exile
New Jersey is so fractured in municipal governments. Everywhere is its own city/township/borough. Cities that would have annexed adjacent areas in other states saw those adjacent areas become their own government. Most of New Jersey is suburbs of New York or Philadelphia and lives in the shadow of those cities. Newark and Camden in another location without NYC/Philadelphia nearby would be the centers of a major metro area.

No city is really large enough to be a control city. Cross country traffic on i80 or the NJTP is not going to Paterson or Newark. Atlantic City is the closest to being a control city for out of state. Its far enough away from Philadelphia or NYC to not be engulfed in suburbs.

And this us from a native of New Jersey. I was born and raised in Point Pleasant.

NE2

Quote from: jwolfer on January 25, 2015, 03:42:35 PM
New Jersey is so fractured in municipal governments. Everywhere is its own city/township/borough. Cities that would have annexed adjacent areas in other states saw those adjacent areas become their own government.
What other states? Kentucky? Each of those little colored areas is its own city.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on January 25, 2015, 03:55:03 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on January 25, 2015, 03:42:35 PM
New Jersey is so fractured in municipal governments. Everywhere is its own city/township/borough. Cities that would have annexed adjacent areas in other states saw those adjacent areas become their own government.
What other states? Kentucky? Each of those little colored areas is its own city.
Most of the south and west. But really its more of a factor of proximity to large cities. New jersey is very much about home rule. People get upset if you say "you live in Pt Pleasant.. No I live in Pt Pleasant Beach!" Its the sane all over.. Some has to do with 600+ school districts and 500+ municipalities

TEG24601

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 24, 2015, 08:01:18 PM
Any control city that says "Canada" or, on this side of the border: U.S.A.

Which makes me glad WSDOT did something right, and has all the control cities North of Seattle set as "Vancouver, B.C.".

On this same vein, how about those signs that just say "City Center" or "Downtown", with no city stated.  The exit for I-475 off of I-75 near Flint for years just said "DOWNTOWN".

I would also like to include those signs than mention a street name or a highway number with no city attached.  Often you don't know what city you are in when driving, especially when the cities are jammed up against each other.  There are also several that bother me because they give you the name of the street/road that crosses a freeway, but doesn't mention that the road changes names 1000 yards to the west, 128th St. SW in Everett is a good example, it becomes Airport Road, and turns northward about 1000 yards west of I-5, and Airport Road is a major access road to Boeing's Paine Field from the South, but no mention.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.