News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Right Turn Yield on Green?

Started by ne11931, January 25, 2015, 07:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ne11931

Does this make any sense?  I grew up in this area and am used to the former MDC bizarre road signage and road alignments but this one is totally weird. I don't travel this road every day but  I believe the traffic signal is constantly green, so why not make it constantly red and allow a right turn on red? It is no wonder Massachusetts insurance rates are so high. Who would be at fault if there was an accident here?

https://goo.gl/maps/GhNr6

Big John

Looks like a candidate for a right FYA instead of the green ball.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: Big John on January 25, 2015, 08:00:13 PM
Looks like a candidate for a right FYA instead of the green ball.

That would sound ideal.

Different areas of New York City have right turn traffic signals that show the flashing amber arrow on the bottom. Though motorists are required to yield to pedestrians during the "WALK" phase.

Pete from Boston

Too bad, my work took me to that intersection frequently until Friday.

There could be a very, very long thread of just MDC signing, um, innovations.

(For the uninitiated, the Metropolitan District Commission was an ancient Massachusetts parks, water supply, and roads agency that was lousy at running the roads it owned up until its dissolution by Mitt Romney in the year he did anything here.  Its non-standard, deficient, and decrepit signs are the stuff of legend.)

SidS1045

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 25, 2015, 08:28:06 PM
Too bad, my work took me to that intersection frequently until Friday.

There could be a very, very long thread of just MDC signing, um, innovations.

(For the uninitiated, the Metropolitan District Commission was an ancient Massachusetts parks, water supply, and roads agency that was lousy at running the roads it owned up until its dissolution by Mitt Romney in the year he did anything here.  Its non-standard, deficient, and decrepit signs are the stuff of legend.)

...and its successor agency, the Department of Conservation and Recreation, has not improved things to any significant degree.  The mere thought of MDC/DCR's method of signing rotaries makes me laugh hysterically.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Pete from Boston

Some of their signs have shown improvement.  Some.  However, this may be due to transferring some roads to MassHighway.  I don't remember how all that worked out

riiga

Just put up a yield sign instead and remove the traffic light altogether.

jeffandnicole

The traffic circle could actually have originated during the days when Right Turns on Red were not permitted.  Due to the location of the right turn lane, it was probably deemed necessary to have their own traffic light.

Since right turns here have their own turning channel, the person turning right on green would be at fault in an accident because they are mandated to yield.  Most traditional intersections would simply have a yield sign here, which results in the same thing - traffic turning left onto this street are given the right of way, and traffic turning right must yield.

You can't make it a consistent red ball/arrow, because in most cases one doesn't absolutely need to turn right on red if they don't feel it's safe to do so, and some vehicles are not permitted to turn right on red.

I'm not sure how this one signal translates into high car insurance rates though. 

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 26, 2015, 10:15:07 AM
The traffic circle could actually have originated during the days when Right Turns on Red were not permitted.  Due to the location of the right turn lane, it was probably deemed necessary to have their own traffic light.

Since right turns here have their own turning channel, the person turning right on green would be at fault in an accident because they are mandated to yield.  Most traditional intersections would simply have a yield sign here, which results in the same thing - traffic turning left onto this street are given the right of way, and traffic turning right must yield.

You can't make it a consistent red ball/arrow, because in most cases one doesn't absolutely need to turn right on red if they don't feel it's safe to do so, and some vehicles are not permitted to turn right on red.

I'm not sure how this one signal translates into high car insurance rates though. 

I think this is correct. I had to pan around the area to understand the location and that's when I saw it's a channelized right turn with a separator island. I've seen some other places where that kind of turn has its own traffic light, usually with a "No Turn on Red" and a green arrow instead of a permissive ball. Otherwise I've usually seen no light coupled with a Yield sign, as "jeffandnicole" suggests.

In any case, the presence of the separator island is what causes the person turning right to have to yield to someone making a left turn–because the island is there, the person going left from the opposite direction is already going straight on the road to which you're turning by the time he encounters the right-turner, and a right-turner therefore must yield to someone who's properly going straight on that road who doesn't have a red light or stop/yield sign.

It's a strange way of doing the signals there, that's for sure.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

That intersection reminds me of some kind of mix between NYC and New Jersey.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Pete from Boston

Old maps will explain better, but that intersection was the end of Soldiers Field Road until the 50s or 60s.  Westbound traffic proceeded south and then west on Leo Birmingham Parkway to circumvent the Brighton Abbatoir (whose site amusingly now contains a McDonald's).  This probably explains why LBP is seemingly overbuilt where it parallels the Mass Pike.

The current setup is a reworking of that situation to accommodate the through highway underneath.  It's a confusing mess, even speaking from having lived right by it for five years. 

KEK Inc.

A yield sign would work there; however, you should always yield right on green for pedestrians and bikes. 
Take the road less traveled.

theline

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.