News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

1930s Coney Island, N.Y. traffic signal

Started by M3019C LPS20, February 01, 2015, 07:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

A while back, I acquired a vintage traffic signal that controlled an intersection somewhere on Surf Avenue on Coney Island in the borough Brooklyn in New York City.

It was manufactured by the Ruleta company in the 1930s.

This is a fixed four-way set up, but I intend to convert it to a three-way traffic signal. I have a pair of original Ruleta blank doors, in which were also provided to me. That includes some additional Ruleta parts. Below, is a picture of the spare parts.

As you could see, the traffic signal was repainted after the year 1962. It was originally black prior to that time.

Also, the original "saucer" attachment is intact at the bottom of the traffic signal. It was originally mounted to the pole this traffic signal was once on; however, it was likely trashed at the time of removal.

The original wires inside are in fair condition, and I hope to test the signal indications soon to see how everything works. Here's what the inside looks like.

Overall, this is a great piece of New York City history for a fantastic offer that I could not resist.

SignGeek101

Wow... impressive.  :clap:

Looking forward to seeing it work.

M3019C LPS20

Thanks. I look forward to that, too. Due to the weather as of now, I will have to wait for a while, though.

Zeffy

Out of curiosity, how hard would you say it is to get it fully working? I don't know anything about electricity except that it uses wires, it powers stuff, and that it can kill you.  :bigass:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: Zeffy on February 03, 2015, 11:13:19 AM
Out of curiosity, how hard would you say it is to get it fully working? I don't know anything about electricity except that it uses wires, it powers stuff, and that it can kill you.  :bigass:

Though I do not work in the field as a professional, I have worked on signals on my available time to understand how they operate. Is it hard? No. Even if you have lack experience. With a little bit of some common sense and awareness of safety, working on a signal could be fun and safe.

Regarding my Ruleta head, the original wires inside were properly connected years ago. So, an alteration is not required. I am concerned about them, because, as I mentioned, practically everything is original. The wires themselves are covered in cloth, and cloth wire tends to become brittle with age; however, everything seems fully intact. No serious damage from what I could see (e.g., chewing marks from a rat).   

M3019C LPS20

I decided this afternoon to finally convert my Ruleta from a four-way to a three-way. Overall, I like the final result.

nexus73

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on February 01, 2015, 10:40:46 PM
Thanks. I look forward to that, too. Due to the weather as of now, I will have to wait for a while, though.

Try doing your work inside...LOL!

Nice find you made there.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

M3019C LPS20

Yesterday was a warm day, so I decided to create a mini four-way intersection. Both of my Ruleta traffic signals are connected to my New York City mechanical unit. Everything worked perfectly. Below, are two videos of them in operation.

nexus73

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on February 09, 2015, 11:25:20 PM
Yesterday was a warm day, so I decided to create a mini four-way intersection. Both of my Ruleta traffic signals to my New York City mechanical unit. Everything worked perfectly. Below, are two videos of them in operation.

I liked how both the green and red lit up to let the drivers know the next change was to red.  That was a clever solution to not having a yellow light!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

M3019C LPS20

In New York City, the overlap ultimately replaced the original form of caution known as the dark out period in 1952.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.