News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Quirky Signs

Started by jdbx, February 11, 2015, 12:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbx

The Northern California city of Hayward has recently installed a number of quirky signs to try and get drivers' attention.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_27498974/haywards-quirky-traffic-signs-grab-drivers-attention

Obviously these are not MUTCD-compliant, and I wonder how effective they will be once the novelty of seeing them the first time or two wear off...

admtrap

Well, worse, the bottom part of that second sign is black and white regulatory.  Which means updating facebook is now mandatory.   :D

ctsignguy

They wont last long.....ILLDOT had NO sense of humor with those STOP sign add-ons some years ago...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

NE2

What's the symbol next to 'not a suggestion'?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ctsignguy

Quote from: NE2 on February 11, 2015, 06:08:04 PM

Looks like a cashbox with money dropping in
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

kkt

Quote from: NE2 on February 11, 2015, 06:08:04 PM

It looks like a suggestion box with a suggestion on a slip of paper sliding into the top of it...

NE2

Yeah, that's probably it.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Many towns in southeastern PA have placed these supplemental signs underneath STOP signs. 

It's no surprise that many of these are erected on STOP signs that were erected for speed control (a MUTCD no-no) along local (non-PennDOT) streets.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jdbx on February 11, 2015, 12:37:10 PM

So keeping your head up while crossing the street is an advisory, but updating Facebook is mandatory?

hbelkins

All those Pennsylvania signs like "Buckle Up Next Million Miles."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEK Inc.

These seem like more of a distraction than anything else.
Take the road less traveled.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: hbelkins on February 11, 2015, 08:07:05 PM

Since New Hampshire stands in the way if you try to go north or south to circumnavigate the globe, isn't that also factually inaccurate?

NE2

Quote from: The Nature Boy on February 11, 2015, 10:17:12 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 11, 2015, 08:07:05 PM

Since New Hampshire stands in the way if you try to go north or south to circumnavigate the globe, isn't that also factually inaccurate?

No. Nobody drives in a straight line, you insensitive clod.

Roadrunner75

I don't know if it fits on the quirky, best of, worst of, or worth any road sign thread at all, but I do like Manchester Township's (NJ) "NO" signs, such as this one:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.031597,-74.25322&spn=0.000004,0.00327&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.031532,-74.253858&panoid=d-lzW9q61wP7n0aqOoYLvg&cbp=12,265.64,,0,2.5
Zooming in on GSV today is the first time I was actually able to read the text, and the smaller sign attached to it.  The text should include "Reading of this sign at highway speeds" as well.

NE2

They helpfully widen the shoulder so you can read it :bigass:

Mr. Matté

Those "Slow down my daddy workƨ here" signs at construction sites though all the time I've seen those signs, I've seen more "Slow down my mommy workƨ here" signs even though less than 3% of road construction workers are female.

1995hoo

I suppose those signs directed at the truckers on eastbound I-70 approaching Denver from the west might qualify, the ones that include "Truckers, You Are Not Down Yet" and the like.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: admtrap on February 11, 2015, 01:28:34 PM
Well, worse, the bottom part of that second sign is black and white regulatory.  Which means updating facebook is now mandatory.   :D

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 11, 2015, 07:26:16 PM
Quote from: jdbx on February 11, 2015, 12:37:10 PM

So keeping your head up while crossing the street is an advisory, but updating Facebook is mandatory?
Truth be told, who else besides engineers, road/sign geeks, and/or those studying for their driver's license test will actually notice that the background colors for that sign are erroneous/reversed?

I think we all can agree that the upper portion of the sign should be white (regulatory) but I'd be a tad hesitant to say that the lower portion background should be yellow (advisory).  Personally, I'd either make it blue w/white lettering (for general services) or brown w/white lettering (for cultural/recreational services).  Given that it's Facebook the sign's referring to, I would go with the latter.   :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 11, 2015, 07:26:16 PM
Truth be told, who else besides engineers, road/sign geeks, and/or those studying for their driver's license test will actually notice that the background colors for that sign are erroneous/reversed?
Attorneys for one.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 12, 2015, 10:59:37 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 12, 2015, 09:37:06 AMTruth be told, who else besides engineers, road/sign geeks, and/or those studying for their driver's license test will actually notice that the background colors for that sign are erroneous/reversed?
Attorneys for one.
While technically true, since the sign is primarily directed towards pedestrians (as opposed to motorists); I honestly don't believe that a pedestrian getting hit by a vehicle due to their looking down at their cell/smart phone is going to successfully defend their actions (assuming the vehicle wasn't running a red signal) in court (outside of perjury).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ray_Stantz

St. Paul once installed "art" signs as traffic calming.

kphoger

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 12, 2015, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 12, 2015, 10:59:37 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 12, 2015, 09:37:06 AMTruth be told, who else besides engineers, road/sign geeks, and/or those studying for their driver's license test will actually notice that the background colors for that sign are erroneous/reversed?
Attorneys for one.
While technically true, since the sign is primarily directed towards pedestrians (as opposed to motorists); I honestly don't believe that a pedestrian getting hit by a vehicle due to their looking down at their cell/smart phone is going to successfully defend their actions (assuming the vehicle wasn't running a red signal) in court (outside of perjury).

Especially since updating facebook is the only activity actually required by that sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

6a

Anti-panhandling signs, Whitehall OH

hbelkins

The anti-profanity signs in Virginia Beach caught my eye. (I have a photo somewhere.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.