News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic Signals that make no sense

Started by UCFKnights, February 15, 2015, 10:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky

Quote from: Beeper1 on February 25, 2015, 09:11:47 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on February 20, 2015, 12:37:32 AM
This concept has been mentioned earlier but I have an example of my own:
DE 2 just east of DE 7 at the entrance to a shopping center.  The mainline never turns red.

There's a setup exactly like this in Auburn, MA where US-20 EB and MA-12 NB split.  There are signals for the mainline of US-20 EB but they never change, just stay as green.  That intersection is currently being rebuilt so I dont know if those particular lights will stay or if they will be removed. It doesn't look like the new layout of the intersection will change the fact that EB 20 has no traffic crossing or merging into it.

Massachusetts does these a couple different ways.

Method #1:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.281623,-71.670649,3a,75y,201.36h,75.08t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJbdbMEXWcBFy8j6p2dWZDQ!2e0

No signal for the through movement that never stops.
This signal and left turn lane from US20 EB to MA9 WB in Northborough was likely added as a result of a massive retail development on the other side of the 20/9 interchange.

Method #2:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.206243,-71.119419,3a,75y,348.14h,86.88t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4XoHvLe3sK8HfsidIg5asQ!2e0

Single section green arrows for the movement that never stops. MA138 NB, Canton

lepidopteran

Quote from: spooky on February 25, 2015, 05:12:53 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.206243,-71.119419,3a,75y,348.14h,86.88t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4XoHvLe3sK8HfsidIg5asQ!2e0

Single section green arrows for the movement that never stops. MA138 NB, Canton
I have a distant memory from about 1970 of a right-turn green arrow that was probably somewhere in New England.  However, this green arrow flashed, and did so with a strange cycle: on for about 4/5 of a second, then off for the remaining 1/5.  Is there anything like that in Massachusetts?

thenetwork

Quote from: Alex4897 on February 20, 2015, 12:37:32 AM
This concept has been mentioned earlier but I have an example of my own:
DE 2 just east of DE 7 at the entrance to a shopping center.  The mainline never turns red.

My guess on this type of setup is if the signal had to be switched into a flashing yellow or red mode due to a signal malfunction, accident, construction zone,..., then all lanes would have to obey the signal, including the no-stopping lanes, to let drivers know to pay special attention to the intersection.

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on February 25, 2015, 04:25:08 PM
Quote from: DevalDragon on February 25, 2015, 01:02:17 AM
I'll throw this one out here in Old Traffic Signal in Navarre Ohio

Is there a firehouse in the immediate area?

My guess is that they want EB US-62 traffic to stop there to allow clearance for any large vehicles or semis turning onto US-62 West (the street the photo is taken on) from either direction on SR-21 (at the main light).  The truck in the "intersection" might just be a fluke as the driver's door is open, so it may not be parking for more than a few moments, unless it's broken down. 

From when I used to live in that region, I recall that this particular intersection does have a lot of semi traffic turning in all directions, and the light in the foreground would change first before the main intersection to clear that space.  Occasionally, you may get an odd vehicle coming from the parking lot on the left or other traffic that couldn't clear the second light in time, but at least it's a clear shot from SR-21 to US-62 West more times than not.

P.S. Love & miss the old vintage lights from NE OH like the one in the main intersection.

DevalDragon

Directly to the left is a store with a parking lot, and buildings to the right. There's nothing between this light and the one the pickup is stopped that would warrant its own signal.

This is probably the best explanation...
Quote from: thenetwork on February 26, 2015, 12:28:24 AM

My guess is that they want EB US-62 traffic to stop there to allow clearance for any large vehicles or semis turning onto US-62 West (the street the photo is taken on) from either direction on SR-21 (at the main light).  The truck in the "intersection" might just be a fluke as the driver's door is open, so it may not be parking for more than a few moments, unless it's broken down. 

UCFKnights

thenetwork

Quote from: UCFKnights on February 26, 2015, 12:12:27 PM
Here's another one with red on the bottom:
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.364959,-80.079757,3a,67.7y,311h,99.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saOy8mWKA7PlrxbozkeS92w!2e0

Not sure what the other segments are

Looks like a standard red-yellow, then red (instead of green).  Dollars to donuts that the bottom light is a red flash-only segment.

UCFKnights

Quote from: thenetwork on February 26, 2015, 01:09:54 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.364959,-80.079757,3a,67.7y,311h,99.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saOy8mWKA7PlrxbozkeS92w!2e0

Looks like a standard red-yellow, then red (instead of green).  Dollars to donuts that the bottom light is a red flash-only segment.
It is, but why should the bottom red be flashing while the mainline has green? Its a right turn and right turn on red is always permitted in the area.

PHLBOS

Quote from: UCFKnights on February 26, 2015, 01:12:40 PM

It is, but why should the bottom red be flashing while the mainline has green? Its a right turn and right turn on red is always permitted in the area.
That flashing red means the same thing as a STOP sign.

I've seen similar done with several signals in MA as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

UCFKnights

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 26, 2015, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: UCFKnights on February 26, 2015, 01:12:40 PM

That flashing red means the same thing as a STOP sign.

I've seen similar done with several signals in MA as well.
I've seen that with signals before too, hell, even at this same intersection, on the left turn signals, it flashes red and says left turn yield on flashing red. But what could the cross street signal possibly do? Would it go to yellow directly above the red? If it does, and goes to the top red, that has the same meaning as right turn on red is still permitted after stop. I'll have to check it out when I'm in the area next time, but I have a feeling it never changes from the bottom flashing red, and the idea was to indicate to those who are afraid (or prohibited to, such as school buses and certain trucks) to turn right on red that this light is never gonna turn green, this flashing red is the most permissive its going to get. If that is in fact the case, I'd imagine a single segment flashing red would be better. I'd imagine a color blind person could easily confuse this as a flashing green or yellow light.

HTM Duke

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2015, 10:56:48 PM
You can find two of those single-head green up arrows in Virginia on the eastbound Commerce Street overpass above I-95 at the T-intersection with the ramp to I-495 towards Tysons. No need for the two thru lanes ever to have a light color other than green, but the left turn lane onto the ramp has a full doghouse signal....can't say I've ever seen it turn red, though, and there's no real reason for it ever to turn red. A flashing yellow arrow would make more sense there.

There is currently the exact same setup as this at the left turn from US-33 westbound to I-81 southbound.

There was another example of this on VA-244 eastbound at the signal for VA-7 westbound.  Sometime after June 2012, this installation was scrapped and replaced with 3-section signal heads for through movements.  Apparently someone forgot it was permissible to replicate the 1-section straight green arrows still.

More interestingly, the current setup for VA-244 eastbound has always existed at the ramp from VA-244 westbound to VA-7 eastbound, complete with stop bars painted on the through lanes.  I can only wonder if this is the leftover legacy from when Seminary Rd used to terminate at VA-244 instead of looping back and ending at VA-7.  (Said realignment took place some 50+ years ago.)
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

JMAN_WiS&S

There is this setup near White Bear Lake MN, where there are signals for a road that doesnt exist anymore..https://goo.gl/maps/qUdDl
turn around
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

PurdueBill

Seen in Denver last week, downward green arrows where upward ones probably belong.  Aren't downward arrows supposed to be for lane use signals?

vdeane

They just mean that all traffic in those lanes has to burrow into the ground.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

http://goo.gl/maps/IPuzW

I don't know how you're supposed to see that. It may be too low (what if a car was blocking it?) to see to a motorist approaching the intersection.

Big John

^^ BC uses those low signals in spots, supposedly to be at eye level to an adjacent vehicle.  Others can see the other signal(s) doing the same actions, but so can the adjacent vehicle, so I am unsure why that is needed :confused:

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 01, 2015, 08:31:14 PM

I don't know how you're supposed to see that. It may be too low (what if a car was blocking it?) to see to a motorist approaching the intersection.

Western Canada (i.e. British Canada) seems to borrow a lot of things from Europe (mainly England), including signals mounted at the stop line. They're pretty nice in practice.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 01, 2015, 08:31:14 PM

California did that a lot:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/@33.923426,-118.352443,-37.53h,-2.99p,4z
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

FreewayDan

LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Big John on April 01, 2015, 08:42:40 PM
^^ BC uses those low signals in spots, supposedly to be at eye level to an adjacent vehicle.  Others can see the other signal(s) doing the same actions, but so can the adjacent vehicle, so I am unsure why that is needed :confused:

Ever been behind a tall vehicle (bus/truck) and can't see the signals on the mast-arm?  I think it's a common oversight some states have for not putting signals on the close-side of the intersection. 
Take the road less traveled.

JKRhodes

http://goo.gl/maps/EXnp3

This intersection in Maricopa, AZ ia tangentially relevant: 347/John Wayne Pkwy at Maricopa-Casa Grande Hwy has a signal that stops traffic in advance of the railroad tracks in addition to the one at the actual intersection. The timing regularly results in about 200 feet of empty roadway at the intersection itself when 347 has a red light. Which is better than the alternative of cars backing up onto a very busy, very fast railroad crossing, but it's still a mess. An overpass and realignment are in the works.

Big John

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 03, 2015, 07:00:17 PM

Ever been behind a tall vehicle (bus/truck) and can't see the signals on the mast-arm?  I think it's a common oversight some states have for not putting signals on the close-side of the intersection. 
That is Wisconsin standard, but not at that low height.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Big John on April 03, 2015, 08:48:22 PM

The height of the sign is the biggest problem. It's too low to be function effectively. Judging by the height of the car next to it, I'd say that signal is no more than 1.8 m (6 ft) off the ground.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 03, 2015, 09:06:30 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 03, 2015, 08:48:22 PM

The height of the sign is the biggest problem. It's too low to be function effectively. Judging by the height of the car next to it, I'd say that signal is no more than 1.8 m (6 ft) off the ground.

It should be angled if it's that low.  Signals that low should only be used in ramp meters.
Take the road less traveled.

roadfro

Quote from: roadiejay on April 03, 2015, 07:48:38 PM

This intersection in Maricopa, AZ ia tangentially relevant: 347/John Wayne Pkwy at Maricopa-Casa Grande Hwy has a signal that stops traffic in advance of the railroad tracks in addition to the one at the actual intersection. The timing regularly results in about 200 feet of empty roadway at the intersection itself when 347 has a red light. Which is better than the alternative of cars backing up onto a very busy, very fast railroad crossing, but it's still a mess. An overpass and realignment are in the works.

This is similar to the intersection of Cheyenne Ave & Tenaya Way in Las Vegas, NV: https://goo.gl/maps/U4SSP

In this case, it is the presence of a fire station which is about 500 feet west of the intersection on Cheyenne. This fire station was built 20+ years ago when there wasn't nearly as much traffic west of here. As the traffic build-up increased, eastbound traffic on Cheyenne regularly blocked the fire department driveway (despite "do not block driveway" signs/markings), even during some non-rush hour times. The city eventually converted eastbound emergency signal by tying it in to the eastbound through traffic phase at Tenaya. Every time the through signal turns red, the upstream emergency signal turns red about 10-15 seconds later. This prevents blocking of the fire department driveway, but also regularly leaves several hundred feet of empty roadway between the intersection and driveway on Cheyenne.

Some people think constant changing of the emergency signal is nonsensical, but it has a purpose and helped improve response times from this fire station.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadfro on April 05, 2015, 05:29:49 PM
Quote from: roadiejay on April 03, 2015, 07:48:38 PM

This is similar to the intersection of Cheyenne Ave & Tenaya Way in Las Vegas, NV: https://goo.gl/maps/U4SSP

In this case, it is the presence of a fire station which is about 500 feet west of the intersection on Cheyenne. This fire station was built 20+ years ago when there wasn't nearly as much traffic west of here. As the traffic build-up increased, eastbound traffic on Cheyenne regularly blocked the fire department driveway (despite "do not block driveway" signs/markings), even during some non-rush hour times. The city eventually converted eastbound emergency signal by tying it in to the eastbound through traffic phase at Tenaya. Every time the through signal turns red, the upstream emergency signal turns red about 10-15 seconds later. This prevents blocking of the fire department driveway, but also regularly leaves several hundred feet of empty roadway between the intersection and driveway on Cheyenne.

Some people think constant changing of the emergency signal is nonsensical, but it has a purpose and helped improve response times from this fire station.
One similiar situation near where I used to live, they had it programmed to turn green before the one ahead of it turned green as well. I believe it was set to turn green when the previous phase turned yellow, giving it about a 5 second head start.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.