News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York Box Girder guard rails outside the Empire State

Started by roadman65, February 16, 2015, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I remember traveling the substandard I-70 between New Stanton and Washington, PA back in 1989 and 1990, and seeing the guardrail between the travel lanes as being box girder just like New York State uses.  Of course it stuck out as those kind of safety devices are mostly seen throughout New York, and have never seen that anywhere else let alone hundreds of miles from the Empire State.

I was wondering is there anywhere else in the United States that uses the guardrails that NYSDOT loves to still use on their roadway network either as divider or side rail?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

PA has them on PA 89 at I-90. I know a couple states out west use them.

Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont use NY-style bridge rail (either two tubes or the older 3 tube) very extensively.

Typically, NY only uses box girders for medians (fading in usage, being replaced by concrete in most cases) and locations with a steep slope, using W-beams in most locations. Box girders are almost always used in the few feet before a bridge, but tend to be relatively uncommon elsewhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Box girder rails can be found at some places in the District of Columbia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadfro

I'm not familiar with these "box girder" guard rails. Can someone post a picture?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: roadfro on February 19, 2015, 10:53:28 PM
I'm not familiar with these "box girder" guard rails. Can someone post a picture?

Just go on Google Maps and drop a pin anywhere guardrails would be (approaches to bridges, tight curves, etc.)

https://goo.gl/maps/3s1pG
Take the road less traveled.

route17fan

I have observed box girder guide rails in Wyoming. Specifically, US 89 southbound coming out of Grand Teton National Park near Jackson and US 30 in Wyoming.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cpzilliacus

I-66 in D.C. westbound approaching the T. Roosevelt Bridge over the Potomac River has them on the right.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadfro

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 20, 2015, 12:06:22 AM

Just go on Google Maps and drop a pin anywhere guardrails would be (approaches to bridges, tight curves, etc.)

I've never seen those before. We don't have those in Nevada.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Yea I don't recall seeing any anywhere in the far west.

iPhone
Take the road less traveled.

roadman65

Quote from: roadfro on February 21, 2015, 12:34:53 AM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 20, 2015, 12:06:22 AM

I've never seen those before. We don't have those in Nevada.
Just like many places in the east do not use ceramic buttons for pavement markings like the west does.

Not knocking them, but just saying box girder guard rails are like them, they are chosen by the agency of the area and not a thing that caught on.  The buttons instead of striping are because NVDOT says they last longer than ordinary paint on the pavements, so that is why Southern Nevada uses them.  NVDOT also says they do not use them in the north, so that may be why those are not adopted in other states for the reason they stated (as the email from NVDOT was so long ago I cannot remember why they do not use them in the northern part of the state) prevail elsewhere.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dfwmapper

Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2015, 02:58:00 PM
NVDOT also says they do not use them in the north, so that may be why those are not adopted in other states for the reason they stated (as the email from NVDOT was so long ago I cannot remember why they do not use them in the northern part of the state) prevail elsewhere.
Snowplows damage them or scrape them off entirely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.