News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Portable vs. span wire signals for temporary installations

Started by Pink Jazz, February 25, 2015, 11:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, for temporary traffic signal installations, does your area use portable signals, span wire signals, or both?

Here in the Phoenix area, portable signals seem to be mostly used for short term installations such as in construction zones or for special events, while span wire signals seem to be used mostly for longer term (though still temporary) installations.  However, the Town of Queen Creek has one intersection (Rittenhouse and Hawes) that has had portable signals for years.

M3019C LPS20

The city of New York primarily uses two kinds. Each one is N.Y.C.D.O.T. approved.

1) This one is called a wood pylon, and it is a simple and sturdy setup that supports signals. This includes street lamps as well.

A 4" metal pipe is what a signal is attached to, and the wood pylon itself contains the spliced signal wires and, for support, two bags of stones (each one 200 pounds) are used.

We've been using this one for well over 50 years.

2) The mast-arm setup has been in use by the D.O.T. throughout the boroughs for over 10 years, and traffic signals are generally mounted to the sides. They are not normally suspended. The pole sits on top of a concrete block, which provides general support for the entire temporary setup. For power, a shunt is generally used.

roadfro

Nevada typically uses span wire for temporary traffic signals, especially for long term construction. However, portable signal trailers are used on occasion.

One interesting example is N 5th St at Centennial Pkwy in North Las Vegas. The intersection is of two major streets with wide right of way, but not all legs of the intersection are improved (some sides still have only one lane each way with no sidewalk). Solar-powered, portable traffic signal trailers have been in use at this intersection for a long time, running a simple two-phase signal setup.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: roadfro on February 26, 2015, 01:29:34 AM
Nevada typically uses span wire for temporary traffic signals, especially for long term construction. However, portable signal trailers are used on occasion.

One interesting example is N 5th St at Centennial Pkwy in North Las Vegas. The intersection is of two major streets with wide right of way, but not all legs of the intersection are improved (some sides still have only one lane each way with no sidewalk). Solar-powered, portable traffic signal trailers have been in use at this intersection for a long time, running a simple two-phase signal setup.

https://goo.gl/maps/HeqAk

Looking on street view, it seems very Canada-like.  If it weren't for the palm trees, streetlights and desert, you could confuse that with Ontario.

Washington uses span-wire; however, portables are used for rural areas where a mudslide or road construction makes a blind corner a single lane.
Take the road less traveled.

riiga

Portable. Often mounted on a small trailer for easy moving.

SignGeek101

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 26, 2015, 03:27:02 AM
Quote from: roadfro on February 26, 2015, 01:29:34 AM

https://goo.gl/maps/HeqAk

Looking on street view, it seems very Canada-like.  If it weren't for the palm trees,

Wait, who says Canada doesn't have palm trees?  :biggrin:

http://goo.gl/maps/G59g0

Back on topic, is there some rule in the MUTCD that prohibits yellow background traffic lights?

Brandon

Illinois uses spanwires for temporary installations with the exception of bridge/culvert replacement.

Typical temporary installation:

These use wooden posts, similar to telephone poles on the side of the road.

Bridge/culvert replacement:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 26, 2015, 09:58:41 AM

OK, I gotta stay off-topic for a moment.  Does the climate there actually support palm trees?

roadman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 25, 2015, 11:20:19 PM
I would like to know, for temporary traffic signal installations, does your area use portable signals, span wire signals, or both?

Here in the Phoenix area, portable signals seem to be mostly used for short term installations such as in construction zones or for special events, while span wire signals seem to be used mostly for longer term (though still temporary) installations.  However, the Town of Queen Creek has one intersection (Rittenhouse and Hawes) that has had portable signals for years.
Massachusetts had used span wires for temporary traffic signals for years, but has been phasing them out in favor of portable traffic signals.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SignGeek101

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2015, 10:29:24 AM

OK, I gotta stay off-topic for a moment.  Does the climate there actually support palm trees?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria,_British_Columbia#Climate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZQ0blSNz4Y

That part of BC is in USDA zone 8a - 9a. Definetely supports palm trees. New York is zone 7 for comparison.

But, we should get back on topic, shouldn't we?  :-D  :nod:

Big John

Quote from: roadman on February 26, 2015, 10:58:09 AM

Massachusetts had used span wires for temporary traffic signals for years, but has been phasing them out in favor of portable traffic signals.
Opposite of Wisconsin.  They used to use portable signals but is is all span wires for temporary signals now.

UCFKnights

Throughout most of Florida, they usually find something to mount it on that is there, or make installing the new signals the very first part of the project so they can get them operational on there (and move the signal heads around on the arms as needed, and moving the stop lines around on the road so you'd be able to see the signal)

On the rare occasion they can't find a way they use wire, but strung from wood posts or something already there rather then the standard concrete or steel (never seen a permanent install on wood post). Never seen a portable signal in use in Florida.

freebrickproductions

Back on topic, is there some rule in the MUTCD that prohibits yellow background traffic lights?
As far as I'm aware, there isn't. In fact, some places are now using yellow reflective strips on the backgrounds for improved visibility.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 26, 2015, 05:00:48 PM
As far as I'm aware, there isn't. In fact, some places are now using yellow reflective strips on the backgrounds for improved visibility.

Yep, there are two such intersections in Queen Creek that have yellow reflective tape around the edges of the backplates (the northern intersection of Ellsworth and Ellsworth Loop, as well as Ellsworth Loop and Ocotillo).

DaBigE

Quote from: Big John on February 26, 2015, 11:39:23 AM
Quote from: roadman on February 26, 2015, 10:58:09 AM

Opposite of Wisconsin.  They used to use portable signals but is is all span wires for temporary signals now.

Not quite...While not very extensively used, Wisconsin does still use portable, trailer-mounted signals for non-intersection work (one-lane roads, etc.).  See detail C: http://roadwaystandards.dot.wi.gov/standards/fdm/SDD/09g02.pdf#1
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadfro

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 26, 2015, 05:00:48 PM

No, there is no rule about the background color of signal housing, except that I think black backplates are recommended.

I believe many agencies are moving away from yellow housings in favor of darker colors (black, hunter green) to provide better contrast during the day--the inside of visor hoods is black regardless. Yellow reflective strips on backplates were an option introduced in the 2009 MUTCD to enhance conspicuity of signals at night.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brian556

Here is TX, we use span wire. The temp construction setups are the same as the permanent span wire setups used in rural areas, and in developing areas on roads that are gonna be expanded. I remember a one-lane bridge setup about 13 years ago where they tried the trailer-mounted signals. They did not work properly, and had to be replaced with a typical span-wire installation.

In FL, in work zones where traffic is shifted over to one side, they pretty much always put temporary heads on the back of the mast arm that supports the signals for oncoming traffic. This puts the temp heads on the close side of the intersection.

Example: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.551799,-81.509361&spn=0.000019,0.012392&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.551799,-81.509361&panoid=jjkRhwuPEFOCl6IczgyN1A&cbp=12,94.62,,0,0

It is not uncommon in FL for permanent signals to be on the close side of the intersection.

Example: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.346972,-81.420221&spn=0.000019,0.012392&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.346972,-81.420221&panoid=3V2y-6xNKe1hRT5wJmrawA&cbp=12,90.52,,0,0

Another Example: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.466512,-81.276399&spn=0.000003,0.001549&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=28.466512,-81.276399&panoid=TspIPMjTmRYMC8ayDdLj0A&cbp=12,139.66,,0,0

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadfro on February 26, 2015, 10:56:37 PM

I believe many agencies are moving away from yellow housings in favor of darker colors (black, hunter green) to provide better contrast during the day--the inside of visor hoods is black regardless. Yellow reflective strips on backplates were an option introduced in the 2009 MUTCD to enhance conspicuity of signals at night.

I heard that in Northern Virginia, emergency signals at fire stations once commonly used red housings, although they are being phased out and are becoming rare.

HTM Duke

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 26, 2015, 11:06:59 PM
I heard that in Northern Virginia, emergency signals at fire stations once commonly used red housings, although they are being phased out and are becoming rare.

Correct, but I think they've all been replaced by now.  When I was growing up, the only set I know of in Fairfax Country was up at the fire station on SR-613/Sleepy Hollow Rd near Seven Corners.  However, they were non-operational most of the time, before finally being replaced in the early-to-mid '90's.  In Arlington County, though, a set of red painted signals on S Walter Reed Dr made it until at least 2009.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

cl94

In New York, span wire is typically used. Temporary installations at intersections are usually in place for several months. When the installation is not at an intersection, it could be either, but portable signals are more common as little infrastructure must be added.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

pmisisco

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 26, 2015, 11:06:59 PM

There's another set that's still in operation in Alexandria - US 1 / Richmond Highway at Beddoo St.  Set of single-housing red ball lights to stop traffic on US 1, and another set facing Beddoo St.

https://goo.gl/maps/4SzJ5

https://goo.gl/maps/aCYq4

These are recent replacements, too - within the past 10 years or so.  Surprised they didn't take the opportunity to install the typical R/Y/Y signals you see elsewhere in NoVa...  I've seen a few close calls between emergency vehicles and cars that didn't notice the red lights just sort of come on.

pmisisco

Oh, and staying on-topic -- When the Woodrow Wilson Bridge project was in full swing, there was an extensive set of temporary lane-control signals along the GW Parkway just south of the Beltway.  All were installed on span wire and wooden posts (think short telephone poles).

RG407

Quote from: UCFKnights on February 26, 2015, 11:58:39 AM
On the rare occasion they can't find a way they use wire, but strung from wood posts or something already there rather then the standard concrete or steel (never seen a permanent install on wood post). Never seen a portable signal in use in Florida.

On SR436 at US17/92 they have installed new concrete posts for the temporary installs during the overpass construction.  My guess those signals will be there a couple of years and they wanted to use something sturdier for such a wide roadway.

I seem to rememeber when I was a kid in South Florida there was a signal with wood posts on my walk to school, but it was later replaced with concrete.

After the 2004 and 2005 hurricanes some utility companies were fined by the state for not properly maintaining their wooden utility poles that were knocked down by the storms.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.