News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Future Interstate Corridor

Started by ethanhopkin14, March 04, 2015, 02:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Now that I-69 in Texas is becoming reality, I have been wondering why for the past 15 to 20 years there was the necessity to post the Future Interstate Corridor signs.  I do also know that I-69 was not the only one to get this treatment.  As a road geek, they are some of my favorite signs, because I am personally a huge fan of the Interstate Highway System, so seeing this sign meant a new Interstate.  But think for a while as the average citizen, who thinks of roads as that thing that gets me from my house to _______.  Some time that average citizen is scared of the word Interstate.  What is to be gained from posting these signs?

slorydn1

I really believe this is just the new way of doing what they always did when the Interstate system was being built.

Back then, they would post an I-XX shield with a banner at the top that said TEMP (usually in construction orange with black lettering) along the companion route that traffic was directed to when the end of a segment was reached (US-301 in NC along I-95 comes to mind). I guess alot of this was due to the fact a substantial amount of the Interstate mileage was being built on new alignments near a companion route.

Now, with quite a bit of your new Interstate mileage being added by improving existing US and state routes it actually makes more sense to post the Future Interstate XX Corridor signs along the route (US-220 and US-74 in NC comes to mind here).

What is to be gained? I guess that would be the knowledge (both pro and con) that the long talked about Interstate XX is finally being built in that area. As we all know, it can take an entire generation or longer from concept to the beginning of construction of a major freeway, what with the minefield of all the money issues, EIS on top of EIS, NIMBY lawsuits (etc).

For those of you who are 30+ and never really moved away from your home area, how many of you remember being little kids and hearing your parents discuss the news that they were going to build I-XX down Podunk Road ("Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it!") that are only now beginning to see those Future Interstate Corridor signs posted ("Holy Shi-ite, my dad WAS right!!")? It just solidifies the fact that, good or bad, it's finally coming.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

NE2

Because they're more useful than Random Dead Popo Memorial Highway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

odditude

Quote from: NE2 on March 04, 2015, 03:25:51 PM
Because they're more useful than Random Dead Popo Memorial Highway.
*sigh*

...it's funny 'cause it's true

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: slorydn1 on March 04, 2015, 03:17:20 PM
I really believe this is just the new way of doing what they always did when the Interstate system was being built.

Back then, they would post an I-XX shield with a banner at the top that said TEMP (usually in construction orange with black lettering) along the companion route that traffic was directed to when the end of a segment was reached (US-301 in NC along I-95 comes to mind). I guess alot of this was due to the fact a substantial amount of the Interstate mileage was being built on new alignments near a companion route.

Now, with quite a bit of your new Interstate mileage being added by improving existing US and state routes it actually makes more sense to post the Future Interstate XX Corridor signs along the route (US-220 and US-74 in NC comes to mind here).

What is to be gained? I guess that would be the knowledge (both pro and con) that the long talked about Interstate XX is finally being built in that area. As we all know, it can take an entire generation or longer from concept to the beginning of construction of a major freeway, what with the minefield of all the money issues, EIS on top of EIS, NIMBY lawsuits (etc).

For those of you who are 30+ and never really moved away from your home area, how many of you remember being little kids and hearing your parents discuss the news that they were going to build I-XX down Podunk Road ("Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it!") that are only now beginning to see those Future Interstate Corridor signs posted ("Holy Shi-ite, my dad WAS right!!")? It just solidifies the fact that, good or bad, it's finally coming.

Maybe it is also a billboard: "You like this freeway section?  Look, it is a Future Interstate Corridor.  You remember how this road goes to your (grandma's, mom's, etc.) house, but it is not a nice freeway?  If you just let this interstate be built, you can have this nice road for miles!"

It is hard to think as a normal human who is not down with road progress, and sometime I find it hard.

Stratuscaster

Marketing.

"Hey, businesses! Looking for a new site? This will be an Interstate eventually; get in now before everyone else does!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.