Pedestrian signals - one vs. two boxes

Started by Pink Jazz, March 04, 2015, 03:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: steviep24 on January 06, 2018, 10:03:10 AM
NYSDOT used two section ped signals for decades at least in region 4. It would have been interesting if they went to a three section head when countdown timers were introduced.

R10 also used two box ped signals up until the mid-late 2000s. Later versions had the symbols in LED format, with the final version being one box symbols one box timer (some had symbols on top, others on bottom)

jay8g

Quote from: jakeroot on January 05, 2018, 12:59:16 AM
Washington has been a long-time user of the single-box unit. I'm not aware of any two-box units.

While I haven't seen any new two-box ped heads installed anywhere in Washington in a very long time, there are plenty of old examples laying around still.

* Vancouver (WA) still has a bunch of them. They have mostly, if not entirely, been retrofitted with symbolic indications in the top box and a countdown timer in the bottom box.

* Seattle has a history of using 3M PV pedestrian signals, in symbolic and word-message versions, in locations where they wanted to restrict visibility of the pedestrian indications (though I'm not sure if they ever worked super well for that purpose). They also used standard two-box signals a long time ago, both with word-message and symbolic indications. (They also used one-box word-message ped heads at some point; I'm not sure of the full history.)

* I know of at least one WSDOT signal that still has two-box ped heads, at US 101 and Golf Course Rd in Port Angeles. However, I'm not sure if this was originally a WSDOT install or not. I've also never seen two-box symbolic ped heads on a WSDOT signal.

Hurricane Rex

Its not uncommon in Oregon to see a 2 box crossing. It is mostly replaced with a one box symbolic crpssings though. In Sherwood the only one left is a school pedestrian signal.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on January 07, 2018, 02:12:23 AM
Washington has been a long-time user of the single-box unit. I'm not aware of any two-box units.

While I haven't seen any new two-box ped heads installed anywhere in Washington in a very long time, there are plenty of old examples laying around still.

[clipped]

Thank you for the list! I didn't realise there will still so many examples.

I did just see a two-box setup yesterday evening, at 45th & I-5 in Seattle: https://goo.gl/7szeaW. It's mounted below a supplementary left turn signal head, something that SDOT rarely uses, but WSDOT does occasionally. Which makes me think it might be a WSDOT install. Either way, it's ancient. It has to be one of the few crosswalk signals left in the city with wording.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on January 12, 2018, 05:44:32 AM

[clipped]

I did just see a two-box setup yesterday evening, at 45th & I-5 in Seattle: https://goo.gl/7szeaW. It's mounted below a supplementary left turn signal head, something that SDOT rarely uses, but WSDOT does occasionally. Which makes me think it might be a WSDOT install. Either way, it's ancient. It has to be one of the few crosswalk signals left in the city with wording.
It's an old 3M ped signal as well! Is its partner on the far side still there as well?
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6614543,-122.3207218,3a,15y,272.01h,90.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJpY-1h9TG0bopU68baRhQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 12, 2018, 06:47:45 PM

[clipped]

It's an old 3M ped signal as well! Is its partner on the far side still there as well?
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6614543,-122.3207218,3a,15y,272.01h,90.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJpY-1h9TG0bopU68baRhQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Crap, I didn't notice! I was going EB to NB, so it wasn't in my vision. But I would guess so. Rarely see those things replaced à la carte. The only ped-head in Pierce County (just south of Seattle) with words instead of symbols has a companion head.

Are the 3M ped signals pretty rare?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on January 12, 2018, 07:53:30 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 12, 2018, 06:47:45 PM

[clipped]

Crap, I didn't notice! I was going EB to NB, so it wasn't in my vision. But I would guess so. Rarely see those things replaced à la carte. The only ped-head in Pierce County (just south of Seattle) with words instead of symbols has a companion head.

Are the 3M ped signals pretty rare?
Somewhat. They used to be more common (DC had a ton and they still have a good number, both worded and hand/man) but I don't think they were every really that common (since it's basically a PV signal used as a ped signal, quite likely much more expensive than a standard ped signal in a typical use, and the only justifiable uses are few and far between) and LED upgrades have helped them diminish in count rather fast. You can still find a few if you know where to look though, but I'm personally not sure of any left in the southeast anymore (or anywhere outside of DC, Washington, and maybe Californa and/or Michigan, TBH).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Hurricane Rex

Who is still adding 2 box ped signals? Bloomington/Normal IL still is.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 13, 2018, 02:25:17 AM
You can add Washington D.C. to that list, I believe.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 13, 2018, 02:30:39 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 13, 2018, 02:25:17 AM

You can add Washington D.C. to that list, I believe.

In British Columbia, they continue to pop up randomly. Definitely not being installed in Washington State anymore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.