News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bimodal green arrow/yellow arrow (not FYA)

Started by Pink Jazz, March 13, 2015, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, does anyone know what cities use bimodal green arrows/yellow arrows (not FYA)?

I noticed there are lots of them in Scottsdale.  I wonder if it may have anything to do with the fact that Scottsdale mostly uses lagging left turn phasing.  Gilbert and Goodyear also mostly use lagging left turn phasing but do not use bimodal heads.  For signals that allow permissive left turns, Gilbert mostly used 5-section towers (although there are a few doghouses), while Goodyear mostly uses "crooked" doghouses (Goodyear uses modular poles, which have a separate two-head signal with arrows next to a regular three head signal with circular indications).

jakeroot

Cities shouldn't use them, for what it's worth, but in my area:

- mostly in place of doghouses for protected rights (most cases)
- In and around Tacoma, Washington (particularly downtown), there's quite a few bimodal arrows for left turns
- Milton/Edgewood, Washington (small town south of Seattle) did a recent street upgrade where most/all of the signals are of the bimodal type
- Tukwila, Washington (larger city south of Seattle) has quite a few along major arterials
- I don't see very many new installations given the recent preference for the FYA

Given my experience with Canada, I'd love to try an experiment with the bimodal arrows whereby the green arrow flashed, indicating a protected turn, then stopped flashing on an amber arrow, then disappeared (this should help distinguish between the two for color-blind individuals).

Pink Jazz

Quote from: jakeroot on March 13, 2015, 11:17:46 PM

Given my experience with Canada, I'd love to try an experiment with the bimodal arrows whereby the green arrow flashed, indicating a protected turn, then stopped flashing on an amber arrow, then disappeared (this should help distinguish between the two for color-blind individuals).

Of course, that may cause confusion with some Mexican drivers, as a flashing green indication in Mexico indicates that the green phase is about to end.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 13, 2015, 11:37:17 PM

Of course, that may cause confusion with some Mexican drivers, as a flashing green indication in Mexico indicates that the green phase is about to end.

Well, I guess that's a geographical thing, since I've never actually seen a car with Mexico plates outside of San Diego. I'm more used to seeing Canadian plates.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: jakeroot on March 13, 2015, 11:49:10 PM

Well, I guess that's a geographical thing, since I've never actually seen a car with Mexico plates outside of San Diego. I'm more used to seeing Canadian plates.

I have seen several Mexican plates in Arizona and New Mexico.  However, both are border states.

Brandon

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 13, 2015, 10:43:23 PM
I would like to know, does anyone know what cities use bimodal green arrows/yellow arrows (not FYA)?

Rockford, Illinois still has a ton of them.

Some IDOT districts used to use them as recently as a few years ago, but many have been phased out recently.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

M3019C LPS20

Bi-modal signals are unheard of in New York City and will likely not appear in the future; however, a lot of towns and cities here in New Jersey use them. Doghouses (traditional setup) are in use, too, but they are not common.

corco

Helena, MT has several, as does Oro Valley, AZ.

Rick1962

They're fairly common in Johnson County, Kansas (suburban KC), also in Enid, Oklahoma.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 14, 2015, 01:14:33 AM
...however, a lot of towns and cities here in New Jersey use them. Doghouses (traditional setup) are in use, too, but they are not common.

Technically, almost all of NJ uses bimodals, and in NJ the bimodal G/Y is the traditional setup, not the doghouse.  A few counties may use doghouses as their primary install, but that's against the norm.  There's a rare NJDOT doghouse or tower as well.  It's not really up to the towns, as it's installed by NJDOT or the county, regardless of the town.

6a

Dublin, Ohio uses them, mostly for traffic turning right.

SSOWorld

They're not MUTCD compliant - for sure
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 14, 2015, 11:43:12 PM
They're not MUTCD compliant - for sure

They are compliant.

The 2009 MUTCD refers to them in sections 4D.09 & 4D.10, Standard 04.  The text from 4D.09:

If a dual-arrow signal section (capable of alternating between the display of a GREEN ARROW and a YELLOW ARROW signal indication) is used in a vertically-arranged signal face, the dual-arrow signal section shall occupy the same position relative to the other sections as the signal section that displays the GREEN ARROW signal indication in a vertically-arranged signal face would occupy.

freebrickproductions

Haven't seen any of these in Huntsville or anywhere in Alabama for that matter.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Revive 755

I would rather see flashing green arrows used for situations where a turning movement has the right of way, but other vehicles that could conflict with said turn do not have a red ball or arrow.  Best example would be a right turn movement that does not have a parallel crosswalk, but the opposing left turn has a FYA.  The way the MUTCD currently seems to read is that this right turn should use a FYA if it is not using a green ball in a shared signal face.  Using a FYA for the right turn in this case does not see appropriate, since the right turn has nothing to yield to.

Quote from: Brandon on March 14, 2015, 12:05:47 AM
Some IDOT districts used to use them as recently as a few years ago, but many have been phased out recently.

They are forbidden in the Chicago District. 

jeffandnicole

I think colorblind people can see yellow.  So even if they couldn't see the exact color of the green arrow, they would know when it is yellow.

US81

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2015, 02:26:12 PM
I think colorblind people can see yellow.  So even if they couldn't see the exact color of the green arrow, they would know when it is yellow.

Many but not all; there are many kinds of color-blindness. There are those who see the world only in shades of grey.

jakeroot

Maybe I'm being pre-historic, but what's the big deal if they can't tell the difference between green and yellow? Most people blow through yellow anyways.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2015, 03:19:37 PM
Maybe I'm being pre-historic, but what's the big deal if they can't tell the difference between green and yellow? Most people blow through yellow anyways.

I was thinking the same thing - many years ago there was only a green arrow, then it turned dark - no yellow interval.

But then again, we didn't need a FYA because people understood to yield on green before making a left turn...

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2015, 03:21:31 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2015, 03:19:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing - many years ago there was only a green arrow, then it turned dark - no yellow interval.

Perhaps it would help solidify the fact that if a doghouse signal is green, and the arrow goes from green to yellow to blank, yellow doesn't mean slam on the brakes and wait behind the stop line ... it means keep going because you still have a green light and they haven't been able to move off yet. At least that's how I think about it. If you just did away with yellow altogether, there wouldn't be a "I see yellow therefore I stop" group of people ruining things for everyone.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2015, 03:21:31 PM
But then again, we didn't need a FYA because people understood to yield on green before making a left turn...

FYAs do have advantages over traditonal 5-section housings, but I see your point.

roadfro

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 15, 2015, 01:44:42 PM

I would rather see flashing green arrows used for situations where a turning movement has the right of way, but other vehicles that could conflict with said turn do not have a red ball or arrow.  Best example would be a right turn movement that does not have a parallel crosswalk, but the opposing left turn has a FYA.  The way the MUTCD currently seems to read is that this right turn should use a FYA if it is not using a green ball in a shared signal face.  Using a FYA for the right turn in this case does not see appropriate, since the right turn has nothing to yield to.
[/quote]

For the instance of a dedicated right turn lane with no parallel/conflicting crosswalk, an FYA would not be appropriate. A circular green or green arrow (depending on geometry) would be the appropriate signal display. If this right turn has a dedicated phase with a green arrow, the opposing left turn would not have a FYA active at the same time due to the turning conflict.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: US81 on March 15, 2015, 02:34:47 PM

Many but not all; there are many kinds of color-blindness. There are those who see the world only in shades of grey.

I know with both forms of red-green color blindness (protanopia and deuteranopia), you cannot distinguish between reds, yellows, and greens.  With blue-yellow color blindness (tritanopia), however, yellow and green are distinguishable, although yellow doesn't actually appear yellow (looks pinkish) and blues look greenish.

OracleUsr

Charlottesville, VA, has them all over town.  Last time I was up there, I wanted to know if they still had them and they do.  I think that's a really cool way to use just four lamps, and it seems more intuitive than the FYA.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cl94

Quite common in Western New York. Region 5 installed them until 3-4 years ago and some of the counties (Erie and Monroe), cities, and towns use them for the majority of PPLTs. Heck, Erie County installed some as recently as last summer.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US81

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 15, 2015, 08:41:12 PM
Quote from: US81 on March 15, 2015, 02:34:47 PM

I know with both forms of red-green color blindness (protanopia and deuteranopia), you cannot distinguish between reds, yellows, and greens.  With blue-yellow color blindness (tritanopia), however, yellow and green are distinguishable, although yellow doesn't actually appear yellow (looks pinkish) and blues look greenish.

Achromatopsia (total absence of color in vision) that I alluded to earlier is actually rather rare.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.