News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Courtesy sign gone Ayer Mass

Started by ne11931, March 15, 2015, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ne11931

There was a sign on Route 2A west in Ayer " Show Courtesy to Side Street Traffic" that I noticed was missing Saturday 3/14/15. It was mounted on a telephone pole so maybe that was replaced and the sign wasn't? I don't know maybe it was someone from a different area who was jealous and stole it for their street. It can be seen in 2012 street view.

https://goo.gl/maps/NKlcc

Brian556

Now that's an interesting sign. It's practically saying "give side street traffic a fair opportunity to enter or cross" Very interesting.

Pete from Boston

Funny, I was in Ayer on 2A on Monday, pulled over at the side of the road, and it was really difficult to get back into traffic.  When I finally got in, I passed somebody in a similar predicament on a side street.  I felt bad, but I didn't let him in because I'd spent so much time there already. 

spooky

Norwood, MA is also fond of forced courtesy, although the particular sign in the GSV is no longer there.

https://goo.gl/maps/m5wtJ

The new sign has the same (or very similar) text on a blue diamond. They have also replaced the erroneous "STATE LAW STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS IN CROSSWALK" sign in the background with a yellow diamond that says "CROSSWALK" with a downward facing arrow pointing towards the crosswalk.

1995hoo

Quote from: spooky on March 16, 2015, 07:07:22 AM
Norwood, MA is also fond of forced courtesy, although the particular sign in the GSV is no longer there.

I'm not sure what to make of that sign. What is it that they want you to do to "show courtesy"? Stop to let them turn even though your road is clear? Or is it a way of asking people not to block the box at intersections that don't have traffic lights? I never block the box anyway, regardless of whether there's a traffic light, but lots of people do and it's a pain in the butt if you're on the side street and can't turn because someone is stopped in the middle of the intersection and either can't or won't back up.

(I have indeed been honked at by people who want me to block the box, most recently on Friday afternoon by a Metrobus driver downtown.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kkt

spooky

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 16, 2015, 09:34:19 AM

I'm not sure what to make of that sign. What is it that they want you to do to "show courtesy"? Stop to let them turn even though your road is clear? Or is it a way of asking people not to block the box at intersections that don't have traffic lights? I never block the box anyway, regardless of whether there's a traffic light, but lots of people do and it's a pain in the butt if you're on the side street and can't turn because someone is stopped in the middle of the intersection and either can't or won't back up.

(I have indeed been honked at by people who want me to block the box, most recently on Friday afternoon by a Metrobus driver downtown.)

Blocking the box is commonplace in eastern MA, even in the rare cases where signs and markings tell you not to.

Typically courtesy is shown on this particular roadway by stopping to let someone turn left into their driveway or street. When courtesy is needed in both directions (i.e. someone turning left out of their driveway), someone might show courtesy in one direction and the entering driver forces courtesy in the other direction. During peak periods the road can be congested in both directions.

1995hoo

Quote from: spooky on March 16, 2015, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 16, 2015, 09:34:19 AM

Blocking the box is commonplace in eastern MA, even in the rare cases where signs and markings tell you not to.

Typically courtesy is shown on this particular roadway by stopping to let someone turn left into their driveway or street. When courtesy is needed in both directions (i.e. someone turning left out of their driveway), someone might show courtesy in one direction and the entering driver forces courtesy in the other direction. During peak periods the road can be congested in both directions.

Thanks. That's pretty pathetic that a sign is required to ask people to allow people into or out of their driveways or streets. I always thought you just do that as a simple matter of common courtesy unless you know the person who's trying to turn is a schmuck.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Quote from: ne11931 on March 15, 2015, 05:16:50 PM
There was a sign on Route 2A west in Ayer " Show Courtesy to Side Street Traffic" that I noticed was missing Saturday 3/14/15. It was mounted on a telephone pole so maybe that was replaced and the sign wasn't? I don't know maybe it was someone from a different area who was jealous and stole it for their street. It can be seen in 2012 street view.

https://goo.gl/maps/NKlcc

That sign, or at least an ancestor of it, has been there at least as far back as 1994, as it was the first time I had ever seen one. Definitely an oddity. I do know it was still there in December.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.