News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Intersections without traffic control devices: Do they still exist?

Started by roadman65, April 10, 2015, 10:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 12, 2015, 02:35:31 PM
They are very rare in NJ, for paved public roads at least, and any absence is probably because someone removed (or ran over) the sign.

I cited two examples above which shows this theory is incorrect.

Zeffy

This is in my sister's housing complex in New Hope, Pennsylvania. It appears to be a traffic circle, but there is no indication of yielding to anyone, nor are their pavement markings or signs of any sort related to it:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.3587779,-74.9581263,310m/data=!3m1!1e3

Sorry for no GMSV, but the satellite view should suffice. There are no signs indicating that traffic should travel in one direction despite being circular. In fact, I usually go LEFT around the circle!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 13, 2015, 11:30:11 AM
They are very rare in NJ, for paved public roads at least, and any absence is probably because someone removed (or ran over) the sign.
Of course there are examples where there are no signs, but by far the vast majority of intersections on paved public roads in NJ have traffic control.  I've driven a lot of NJ, and I rarely see intersections without them (where it's not obvious the sign got plowed or otherwise removed) - dirt roads through the Pine Barrens excepted.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 13, 2015, 11:51:00 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 13, 2015, 11:30:11 AM
Of course there are examples where there are no signs, but by far the vast majority of intersections on paved public roads in NJ have traffic control.  I've driven a lot of NJ, and I rarely see intersections without them (where it's not obvious the sign got plowed or otherwise removed) - dirt roads through the Pine Barrens excepted.

In my two examples, the end of my street has never had one.  They recently repaved the street, and didn't place one there.  Yet, two streets over which was repaved at the same time and that has a stop sign, they also put down the stop bar in the road.  So it's not an instance where it's just simply missing.

The link showing the end of the street was a one way in one direction, but converted into a one way going the other direction.  One way and Do Not Enter signs were posted, but Stop signs were never added to the posts.

Pete from Boston

Without meaning to turn this into a pissing contest, I'm going to have to agree with jeffandnicole.  I've driven a couple hundred thousand miles in New Jersey alone, so it's not anecdotal evidence.  There are lots of side streets all over the state where there never was a stop sign, that are not rural backwaters.  Your experience may differ, but there are a lot of them out there. 

Rare?  Depends on your definition.
Very rare?  Not really.
Medium rare?  Pink in the middle, just past pure red.

Roadrunner75

How about we go with just rare or maybe uncommon, and call it even?  However, I will not be donating my stop sign from my small collection toward Jeff's street.

And now, my own example of an uncontrolled intersection in NJ:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.892633,-74.340363&spn=0.000016,0.010439&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=39.892644,-74.34226&panoid=u8-At5QIcRbClXWdTzxTtw&cbp=12,261.22,,0,8.84

kphoger

My last favorite is Public Square in Benton, Illinois. A large traffic circle with parking and a courthouse in the middle. No traffic control, and traffic is always heavy. It regularly backs up for several blocks. People have sort of developed the habit of taking turns at each of the four uncontrolled intersections, but that practice is far from universally practiced, and most people proceed at very slow speed. I remember once when I-57 was closed and traffic was routed through it... :nightmare:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.