News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Post Office Zones

Started by roadman65, April 17, 2015, 10:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

We all have heard of School Zones, but Post Office Zones?

Apparently the people of Thibodaux, Louisiana see it as something. 

I must admit it is pretty ingenious.  Especially for elderly people crossing the busy arterial here, that also in many other communities where the post office is located on a main roadway could use this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

That sign is not legally binding. It is just a suggestion. This situation is what happens when persons whom are not knowledgeable in the field of traffic control are allowed to make decisions about it.

If they need to help people cross the street, put in a damn crosswalk with pedestrian-activated lights.

There is something similar in Plymouth, FL:https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.695143,-81.556631&spn=0.000019,0.012392&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.695242,-81.556633&panoid=b-1FHrwhEJv6xvHzIBBiIQ&cbp=12,25.21,,0,0

roadman65

Interesting, about a crosswalk there as I did not pay attention to the area in the photo.  Usually when you take a picture you do not notice the details around it.  Yeah you think right at the sign there would be one.

However, this day and age no one pays attention to flashers or the YIELD law that applies in many states.  Plus pedestrians do not walk between the lines of the crosswalk so painting lines is a waste nowadays.

I am not saying that is why it is done here, but to say that your suggestion, though the truth and it should be done here as well, is not being heeded by the ignorance of us humans.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

It's not a bad idea.  The post office near my house is on a busy arterial.  There are always people pulling into the already-full parking lot, parking their SUVs at the curb so that people pulling out of the driveway can't see whether there's cars coming on the street, parking across the street and jaywalking.

roadfro

Quote from: Brian556 on April 17, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
That sign is not legally binding. It is just a suggestion. This situation is what happens when persons whom are not knowledgeable in the field of traffic control are allowed to make decisions about it.

If they need to help people cross the street, put in a damn crosswalk with pedestrian-activated lights.

The thing with this sign is that it is very non-standard in its design. Fonts aren't to current specification, and the 15 MPH would need to be in regulatory color scheme and actually say "speed limit" (or similar state variant, where applicable) to be legally binding.

The other issue is that it's not a safe sign. I don't know what the tire at its base is meant to do. But more importantly, it appears to be a rigid post sign in mounted in the middle of the driving lanes, which is a huge safety no-no (it would need to be a flexible sign design, like the recent "yield to peds in cross walk" style signs).

All this makes me think this is more of an old sign which was erected by someone that "went rogue" and took matters into their own hands. Which also makes me question why the local agency hasn't removed it and taken more traditional action.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

Quote from: roadfro on April 17, 2015, 03:43:05 PM
The other issue is that it's not a safe sign. I don't know what the tire at its base is meant to do. But more importantly, it appears to be a rigid post sign in mounted in the middle of the driving lanes, which is a huge safety no-no (it would need to be a flexible sign design, like the recent "yield to peds in cross walk" style signs).

I don't think that sign post goes down into the pavement. I think it probably splits into four horizontal feet that sit on the ground. The tire is there to weight it down so the wind doesn't blow the whole thing over. There may be concrete in the tire.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadfro

Quote from: vtk on April 18, 2015, 01:18:00 AM
Quote from: roadfro on April 17, 2015, 03:43:05 PM

I don't think that sign post goes down into the pavement. I think it probably splits into four horizontal feet that sit on the ground. The tire is there to weight it down so the wind doesn't blow the whole thing over. There may be concrete in the tire.

I didn't think of that...  Using a rigid post in the roadway like that is still a hazard though...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.790794,-90.821336,3a,75y,32.09h,72.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saZnlf3K5_UUq3nFOv97gDw!2e0
According to GSV there is also one in the NB lanes as well.  Also beyond the sign there is a no passing zone both in my photo and on the link caption above.  It is obvious for real!

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.