AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 08:07:31 PM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by Mergingtraffic
The plans are up for the new I-84 Exit 11 redo....and so are the sign plans.  WHY? WHY? WHY?  What is with the narrow font?? 
Is it that hard to design a sign now? I don't understand it.  First with the I-84 Farmington to Hartford plans and now here.

on: Today at 08:04:04 PM 
Started by aboges26 - Last post by thenetwork
This Facebook post that shows photos of the US 550 construction from April.

Wow, I knew there was some earth that had to be moved on the northern end, but I didn't realize there was THAT much that had to be taken out to complete the connection.
Same here—that's fascinating.

I'm going to be a passenger driving through there soon, and I was wondering if I'd see anything from 160—seems like not much, but it's interesting to see it develop by photos and videos anyway.

You'll just see one of the bridge spans from US-160, but if you make a short detour onto US-550 South for a few miles, you'll be driving next to the work zone and can see what has been done and what still needs to be moved/relocated on the southern end of the project.  At least the times I've been through there, the traffic still moves at a good clip.

And if you are traveling US-160 east of Durango, take note of the SONOCO station at the top of the hill.  *Not* SUNOCO...

on: Today at 08:03:54 PM 
Started by KCRoadFan - Last post by Rick Powell
Some areas of suburban DuPage County have an address system that's based on that of Chicago but distinct from it. 

Cook County's south suburbs have some anomalies. 211th Street is also known as 14th Street in Chicago Heights, and Park Forest's curvilinear streets bear no relationship to the rest of the grid except for Western Avenue. In South Holland, the streets skip 3 blocks; for example 159th Street in Harvey (which is consistent with the Chicago grid) becomes 162nd Street as soon as it hits the border. And the north-south street 5 miles west of State Street alternately changes names from Crawford Ave. to Pulaski Ave. depending on where you are at. Oddly enough, the Chicago grid perpetuates itself deep into eastern Will County, far from the urban grid, where gravel or blacktop farm roads like Cottage Grove, Yates and Ashland Avenues perpetuate their names and what would be their Chicago grid addresses.

on: Today at 07:57:25 PM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by hbelkins
Last night, something called "Mr. Beast Burger" trended on Twitter. I'd never heard of this brand before. Has anyone else?

Their online presence indicates they're a carryout or delivery-only service offered as an adjunct to an existing foodservice operation.

Many of the tweets in the trend indicated the burgers are typically burned on the outside and raw in the middle.

on: Today at 07:56:41 PM 
Started by stridentweasel - Last post by Scott5114
Road Atlases are almost obsolete now with google and GPS.

It's a lot easier to check a route when you're driving alone with an atlas open to the correct page on the passenger seat than it is fishing your phone out of your pocket, unlocking it, hoping some stupid BS notification doesn't pop up, scrolling around and trying to zoom in with one hand on the wheel, etc.

Bring back button copy signs.
Not unpopular

Most of my nostalgia for the button copy era is not so much because of the button copy itself (OkDOT used button copy and reflective sheeting at the same time, which is as bad as it sounds) but because back then OkDOT signage was actually good.

on: Today at 07:52:47 PM 
Started by Wayward Memphian - Last post by US71
https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2021/may/15/19-inspection-spied-damage-i-40-bridge

An agency statement said it is investigating to see if a September 2019 inspection noted that damage and what, if any, actions were taken.

on: Today at 07:44:59 PM 
Started by Wayward Memphian - Last post by webny99
I believe Brandon is referring only to the eastern half of the routing (I-155 east to Dyersburg and US 412 from there to I-40 at Jackson). That's how I read it at first as well.

It would work for I-55 SB traffic, but a bit much for I-40 EB IMO because of the two-lane section, not to mention the fact that I-40 traffic could just follow I-55 to I-155.

on: Today at 07:35:12 PM 
Started by ethanhopkin14 - Last post by radDFW
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I found this old (assuming 60s?) exit sign of Lancaster Ave with the US 80 shield on top. Viewable from both southbound and northbound Beach St approaching Lancaster Ave interchange.
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7397615,-97.2894935,3a,15y,8.79h,95.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbovnaDWvg3La9RoFs3NKhw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Interesting how they didn't even bother removing this sign with a new one, especially when US 80 doesn't even exist in Fort Worth anymore.

on: Today at 07:34:19 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by Jim
Back to a mileage sign: 298 miles to Fairbanks from the US/Canada border (clearly visible as the cleared out area looking north) on the Alaska Highway.   June 14, 2001.  This one moments after Alaska became by 49th state visited.

on: Today at 07:34:04 PM 
Started by MCRoads - Last post by jakeroot
I use my blinkers the same as any other intersection: nothing for straight, left for left, right for right. Difference being that I always signal right when exiting, so entering traffic doesn't need to wait and see what I'm doing*

* truth be told, it seems few drivers care whether I signal right when exiting, opting to wait regardless.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.