News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest Railroad Crossing

Started by Michael, October 19, 2013, 06:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Last week, I was looking around Wichita Falls, TX after reading about the World's Littlest Skyscraper.  While looking around, I came across a railroad crossing with nine tracks.  After seeing the crossing, I decided to do some quick Googling to see how many tracks the biggest railroad crossing in the U.S. (or even the world) had.  I didn't find an answer, but I did find a forum post on a railroad crossing forum with the same question, and the OP on the forum linked to a crossing through a rail yard in Wichita, KS with 14 tracks.  So, can anyone here beat 14 tracks at a crossing?

As an aside, the World's Littlest Skyscraper can be seen by turning the Street View of the nine track crossing a little over 90 degrees to the right.  It's the three story brick building between the two double-posted utility poles.

Fntp

Wow those are long but I'm use to seeing those cuz I live in pittsburgh so those aren't rare in my area.

empirestate

Quote from: Fntp on October 20, 2013, 12:57:58 AM
Wow those are long but I'm use to seeing those cuz I live in pittsburgh so those aren't rare in my area.

Can you point us to some other specific examples in the Pittsburgh area?

1995hoo

Off the top of my head, the most I can think of is ten tracks in Sanford, Florida, at the Auto Train station. I don't know of a way to post a maps link using my iPad, but if you want to see the spot, search for 600 South Persimmon Avenue in Sanford. In fairness, many of the tracks are sidings where they split up the Auto Train's very long consist for loading and unloading.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

You know, once you get up to 10 or 14 tracks, is there really much point anymore in signs indicating how many there are, exactly? I can see how it's good to know there are 2 or 3, instead of 1, because there might be a train coming from both directions instead of just a single one. But are motorists still counting 14 tracks and checking them individually to see that there's no train on any of them? Isn't enough at that point simply to know that there are "many" tracks?

Or is there a further rationale I'm not seeing?

Scott5114

Well, what else are you going to put on the sign? "Many Tracks"? Easier to just put the exact number.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

When I used to live in Toledo, there was one crossing (Westwood Avenue) that had at least 7 -8 tracks.  Looking at google maps, Westwood now dead ends on either side of the tracks.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=TOLEDO,+OH&hl=en&ll=41.634049,-83.606451&spn=0.004964,0.013078&sll=39.085692,-108.569836&sspn=0.164956,0.41851&hnear=Toledo,+Lucas,+Ohio&t=h&z=17

jeffandnicole

If the gates are down, don't go.  Seems simple. 

In the case of a gate malfunction, if there's no trains parked by the crossing, it should be pretty easy to see up and down the tracks with just a glance or two before going around the gates (if possible).  And if there are train cars parked right there, it would be nearly impossible to see around them until your front end is over the live tracks.

Molandfreak

Per 1995hoo's example, Sanford, FL indeed has a 10-track crossing. There's a much wider margin of spacing than the Witchita example as well. http://goo.gl/maps/IpuR4

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if Belknap Street (U.S. 2) in Superior, Wisconsin was always bridged over all the tracks? If it wasn't, there may have been a historical crossing upwards of 30 tracks.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Chicago, 1891:

Some of those dead-ends were probably not actually there, and I don't know if any grade separations had been built yet.

The nearest grade crossings to this were separate for each line, but still (south Chicago, 1902):
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 21, 2013, 09:43:16 AM
Per 1995hoo's example, Sanford, FL indeed has a 10-track crossing. There's a much wider margin of spacing than the Witchita example as well. http://goo.gl/maps/IpuR4

Thanks for the link. Yesterday I had just zoomed in on the Google Earth app and counted the number of tracks.  :-D

We always come from the other direction and I see on Street View there's a "10 Tracks" sign there as well, but I've never actually noticed that sign in person. I'm always paying more attention to where we're going–we make the right turn across the first several tracks into the station entrance and it's an area that requires you to pay attention to your driving. The "autoracks" (car carriers) are to the left of the station entrance as you face it from Persimmon Avenue and the passenger cars are to the right. Whenever we ride the train I wonder how long the street remains blocked as they assemble, or disassemble, the consist. I'm sure the local residents all know what times of day to avoid that area!

Revive 755

lepidopteran

Quote from: thenetwork on October 21, 2013, 09:05:32 AM
When I used to live in Toledo, there was one crossing (Westwood Avenue) that had at least 7 -8 tracks.  Looking at google maps, Westwood now dead ends on either side of the tracks.
In the 70s, that grade crossing had 17 tracks!  The usual sign below the crossbuck said as much, at least on the south side.  On the north side was a custom painted (probably wooden) sign warning in advance of the crossing.  The location was New York Central's Air Line Junction Yard.

The Westwood crossing was only closed in the past couple of years, by which time there were maybe only 6 tracks remaining.  The reason for the closure is that the old yard was converted into a modern intermodal freight yard, and the trains would be long enough that they would block the grade crossing.  If you move around on GSV in that area, you'll find some photos with the crossing intact and others where it's closed off.

1995hoo

Here's video from last Saturday when we arrived at that 10-track crossing in Sanford. It's quite a complex little area. After I make the right turn, the Superliner railcars on the right are the passenger cars and the other railcars on the left are the auto carriers.

Click thumbnail to play. Sound is intentionally muted because we were talking about some family matters.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 05, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

Here's video from last Saturday when we arrived at that 10-track crossing in Sanford. It's quite a complex little area. After I make the right turn, the Superliner railcars on the right are the passenger cars and the other railcars on the left are the auto carriers.

Thanks for sharing this.  I am quite familiar with the Auto Train terminal station in Lorton, Fairfax County, Va. but not the Florida end (I have never taken it myself).

Rather different from Lorton.

The Auto Train is always impressive because of the "normal" length of its consists (I have never seen a longer Amtrak train).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

theline

Being from Indiana, I had no idea that such a train existed in the US. I had to Wikipedia it. It really looks like a cool idea, though I'll never have occasion to try it. Having some wine and cheese, followed by dinner and a movie, looks more enjoyable than driving down the interstate all night. (Which I've done, though from Indiana.)

Thanks for sharing.

NE2

Quote from: theline on December 06, 2013, 07:36:41 PM
Being from Indiana, I had no idea that such a train existed in the US. I had to Wikipedia it. It really looks like a cool idea, though I'll never have occasion to try it. Having some wine and cheese, followed by dinner and a movie, looks more enjoyable than driving down the interstate all night. (Which I've done, though from Indiana.)
There used to be another Auto Train route from Louisville to Florida, but it apparently didn't do so well. There's not even a passenger train along that route anymore.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Huh. I was thinking that was just a station and parking lot in the middle of the tracks. The more you know, I guess. What kind of traffic does that Auto Train in Sanford get?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 07, 2013, 02:12:36 AM
Huh. I was thinking that was just a station and parking lot in the middle of the tracks. The more you know, I guess. What kind of traffic does that Auto Train in Sanford get?

Quite heavy. Along with the Acela it's apparently one of Amtrak's biggest money-makers. The train last Saturday night was sold out with people coming home from Thanksgiving (including us). The Florida depot is about 45 minutes (traffic-dependent of course) from Disney World and the Virginia depot is 7 miles south of the Capital Beltway. Think about it this way–someone from New York could drive down to Virginia in the morning, check in for the Auto Train in early afternoon, ride the train overnight, and be in Florida with his own car the following morning (scheduled arrival is 9:30 AM and then you have to wait awhile for your car to come off the train). The train has been pretty busy every time we've ridden it.

We use it in part because the location is ideal for us (very close to home and the other end is about 70 miles from my sister-in-law's place). For Thanksgiving we were bringing a case of wine. Can't do that on a plane. We never sleep worth a damn on the train, even in a private room, but I can put up with a night of lost sleep. For comparison sake, the drive down was about 900 miles (not going directly down I-95); we left at 7:15 Saturday morning, stopped for the night near Savannah just after 6:00 Saturday night, and then drove about another 4.5 hours Sunday morning. For the trip home, we left my sister-in-law's place around 12:30 Saturday afternoon, drove to Sanford (with a stop at a grocery store for a bottle of wine for the train), checked in at the train depot around 2:10, the train left shortly before 4:00 and arrived in Virginia just after 8:00 Sunday morning, and we pulled into our driveway at 9:25. So while in raw number of hours the train is longer than driving, the overnight aspect saves substantial time. In terms of road clinches and such, for me to clinch routes that interest me between here and Florida I'd have to go so far out of the way that it'd be impractical on the sort of trip we took last week, so I'm happy to spare myself the drive home.

Downside was that the ride isn't all that smooth and Sunday afternoon I had that feeling like the train was still rocking under me (those of you who have been on cruises probably know this feeling).

realjd

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2013, 11:56:11 AM
For Thanksgiving we were bringing a case of wine.

You know you can check that, right? Anything 140 proof or lower is allowed as checked baggage. Anything higher than that is flammable.

1995hoo

Quote from: realjd on December 07, 2013, 06:29:03 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2013, 11:56:11 AM
For Thanksgiving we were bringing a case of wine.

You know you can check that, right? Anything 140 proof or lower is allowed as checked baggage. Anything higher than that is flammable.

I would not check a case of wine on a plane because I would like it to arrive intact!

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2021, 06:54:02 PM
I just found one with 21 tracks in Galveston, TX.

What's interesting is that's only on the public side of the gate located at the end of the street; there are several more sets of tracks on the private property beyond it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

rellis97

I would just LOVE to drive across those tracks just to feel the rhythm the tracks make!

US 89

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 19, 2021, 07:14:45 PM

What's interesting is that's only on the public side of the gate located at the end of the street; there are several more sets of tracks on the private property beyond it.

I count 19 tracks between Harborside and Port Industrial Blvd, then 8 or 9 more (depending on how you count the one that splits) between there and the fence gate. Not sure where they're getting 21 from.

There are 7 more in the private property, for a grand total of 35 train tracks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.