News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-66 recomissioned by Google Maps

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 25, 2009, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Jim

Certainly not correct, but Albuquerque has some regular US 66 signs, at least as of a few years back (these are from 2003 and 2004):

Along Central west of downtown:

At the west end of Central:

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

xonhulu

I think someone said there are regular US 66 shields in the LA area, too.

Google maps has re-commissioned a lot of old US highways -- I saw a lot of US 10's in Montana (Laurel, for example).

agentsteel53

Jim T, that first shield you posted is alas quite gone.  It dated back to before US-66 was decommissioned in New Mexico in 1984!  In fact, the sign was far older: that style of US shield, with the Series E letters and the numbers dropped down a bit vertically, on an 18x18 black square, was New Mexico spec of the late 1950s!  I wonder what was under that Business Loop 40 patch originally.  Maybe a mainline red white and blue I-40 shield??

Here is its counterpart, of early 80s vintage, on the other side of the street (same intersection, just going westbound), which I think went missing between 2006 and 2007.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on July 26, 2009, 12:49:11 AM
I think someone said there are regular US 66 shields in the LA area, too.

I believe the regular ones, put up by Caltrans correct to their 1963 (modern) route specs, are gone.  They were in San Bernardino, if I recall correctly.

note the Property of the State of California rectangular tag at the bottom of the shield.

there are several US-66 shields in Duarte that even say CALIFORNIA/US/66 but their shape is not quite right.  I do not have a picture offhand.

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Sometimes, you'll see US Highways signed as State Routes and State Routes as US Highways on Google Maps. Also, they also sign Business Routes and Alternates as regular US Highways, like Alternate US 90 in Houston is just signed as US 90 in Gmaps.

PAHighways

Quote from: xonhulu on July 26, 2009, 12:49:11 AMGoogle maps has re-commissioned a lot of old US highways -- I saw a lot of US 10's in Montana (Laurel, for example).

They resurrected many of the PA routes that were axed after WWII.

Roadgeek Adam

Well actually Tele Atlas has. All we need is the road to Big Shanty (decommissioned in 1932) marked as PA 823 :|
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

leifvanderwall

I think Google put the US 66 designation on Central Av. because that is how the locals still remember it. In Illinois along I-55, the state has signed old 66 as historic US 66 and I'm wondering if Google would do the same thing in their Joliet-Chicago area maps.

deathtopumpkins

Google did not put the US-66 designation there just because that is how locals know it. No.
They are trying to be ACCURATE for use as a map for people like tourists. Don't you think that is who is going to be looking at that route and expecting to see signs for US-66 when they actually drive it?
It's just a mistake, very common.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

I enjoy the fact that google puts shields on damn near every old alignment.  Helps me find 'em!

jake@aaroads.com

fredmcain

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 25, 2009, 09:13:23 PM
Google Maps shows US-66 marks on Central Avenue in Alburquerque with the official US shield http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=35.076861,-106.647549&spn=0.047062,0.10952&z=14

Looks like the shield reference to Central Ave is gone again.  A few years ago Google Maps had "66" shields all the way from Chicago to Santa Monica.  I was ecstatic !  I wondered to myself, is there something I don't know?  Is route 66 back and it hasn't been announced yet?  But in another month or so they were gone again.

I have a possible explanation for this.  If you know how to do it, it is actually possible for anyone to go in there and make changes kinda like on Wikipedia.  I tried doing this myself but was unsuccessful. Someone probably put those 66 icons on there 'cause they thought it'd be helpful.  But since US 66 really isn't a commissioned U.S. Route,...............
Fred M. Cain
U.S. Route 66 Initiative
http://www.bringbackroute66.com/home.html

Avalanchez71

Did someone steal it or was it taken down?

fredmcain

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 30, 2017, 01:03:04 PM
Did someone steal it or was it taken down?

The way I interpreted the message was that there was a reference alluding to the 66 shield icons on Google maps.  But if you click on his accompanying URL - the shields are gone.

Or so is what I thought he meant.
Fred M. Cain
U.S. Route 66 Initiative
http://www.bringbackroute66.com/home.html

Avalanchez71

So is Central Ave no longer BL I-40?

US 89

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 06, 2017, 05:16:47 PM
So is Central Ave no longer BL I-40?

According to the Wikipedia page for Central Ave, not since early 1990s.

Quote from: WikipediaIt was also signed as Business Loop 40 until the early 1990s when ownership of Central Avenue was transferred from the New Mexico State Highway Department to the City of Albuquerque.

capt.ron

I don't see the US 66 shield on my google maps (yet).

hotdogPi

Quote from: capt.ron on August 22, 2017, 02:25:12 PM
I don't see the US 66 shield on my google maps (yet).

The thread was from 2009.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Jim on July 25, 2009, 09:50:34 PM
Certainly not correct, but Albuquerque has some regular US 66 signs, at least as of a few years back (these are from 2003 and 2004):

As of a few weeks ago the Business 40/US-66 sign was still posted on Central Avenue around Albuquerque's Old Town.  I don't know if these signs will survive the ART project that's reconstructing Central to accommodate Bus Rapid Transit along the route.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Avalanchez71

Quote from: abqtraveler on August 22, 2017, 04:37:49 PM
Quote from: Jim on July 25, 2009, 09:50:34 PM

As of a few weeks ago the Business 40/US-66 sign was still posted on Central Avenue around Albuquerque's Old Town.  I don't know if these signs will survive the ART project that's reconstructing Central to accommodate Bus Rapid Transit along the route.

Are these signs still around?

hotdogPi

The forum post is from 2009. Probably not, although error signs have been known to last a long time in rare cases.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on November 05, 2020, 04:19:36 PM
The forum post is from 2009. Probably not, although error signs have been known to NEW MEXICO!

Edited for clarity.

Also, I cannot find GSV of either one existing–even in the oldest GSV available.  However, I'm struggling to figure out where the I-40 junction sign would be.  Was that interchange reconfigured?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

I looked for them in 2012 when I worked in the City a couple times and didn't find them. 

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2020, 04:35:53 PM
Also, I cannot find GSV of either one existing–even in the oldest GSV available.  However, I'm struggling to figure out where the I-40 junction sign would be.  Was that interchange reconfigured?

Yep. There used to be direct ramps from Central to WB 40 and vice versa, and a half-diamond at Paseo del Volcan (since renamed to Atrisco Vista) for the other movements. Now it's just a standard diamond at Atrisco Vista.

In fact, you can see on satellite where the old WB on-ramp was.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2020, 04:35:53 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 05, 2020, 04:19:36 PM
The forum post is from 2009. Probably not, although error signs have been known to NEW MEXICO!

Edited for clarity.

Also, I cannot find GSV of either one existing—even in the oldest GSV available. 

I have a photo of one that was located here.

It seems that sometime around 2018 it was removed, along with the entire lamp post.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.