News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I don't want to hotlink a Facebook image but I posted this to my page, which is publicly viewable - anyone have an idea what the top sign once read? SA something, but not SAT-SUN. It was at the far western end of La Grange Rd. in Binghamton where it enters the cemetery.

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/180085082_4290927537608304_5431881981748530890_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=szzB1u7hTnwAX9u0XkY&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=a00c69d91fcdb133cf4a776c3b8cfe4e&oe=60B2AC76

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on April 29, 2021, 11:54:25 PM
I don't want to hotlink a Facebook image but I posted this to my page, which is publicly viewable - anyone have an idea what the top sign once read? SA something, but not SAT-SUN. It was at the far western end of La Grange Rd. in Binghamton where it enters the cemetery.

"Saint Mary's Cemetery"?

Bumppoman

You're lucky to find a Binghamtonian here!

I'm almost positive what you thought to be "S"  is part of the "B"  in Binghamton, and the "A"  being the left side and slant of the first "N" .  This appears to be an older style of the red signs with parking regulations that are posted at the city limits.  I can't find a photo online of the ones I'm thinking of but if I happen to spot one remaining when I'm out, I'll get a photo.  Most of them have been replaced with different signs that don't have "BINGHAMTON"  on them anymore.

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on April 30, 2021, 01:59:09 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 29, 2021, 11:54:25 PM

"Saint Mary's Cemetery"?
Definitely not an I after the "SA". (Or SN, or SW, or...)

Alps

Quote from: Bumppoman on April 30, 2021, 12:55:43 PM
You're lucky to find a Binghamtonian here!

I'm almost positive what you thought to be "S"  is part of the "B"  in Binghamton, and the "A"  being the left side and slant of the first "N" .  This appears to be an older style of the red signs with parking regulations that are posted at the city limits.  I can't find a photo online of the ones I'm thinking of but if I happen to spot one remaining when I'm out, I'll get a photo.  Most of them have been replaced with different signs that don't have "BINGHAMTON"  on them anymore.
Yes! Thanks! BINGHAMTON NO PARKING... and it's at city limits.

fmendes

I drove on the vanwyck Expressway and couldnt happen but notice that construction on the HOV has started especially in the area of the LIRR bridges and atlantic ave

Roadgeekteen

Why isn't Binghamton a control city for NY 17 at the I-87 exit? Only Harriman is used.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 10:34:49 AM
Why isn't Binghamton a control city for NY 17 at the I-87 exit? Only Harriman is used.

Binghamton isn't used much until you get to I-84, but I'm not sure why. I'd use both Binghamton and Harriman.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 04, 2021, 10:51:52 AM

Binghamton isn't used much until you get to I-84, but I'm not sure why. I'd use both Binghamton and Harriman.
The fastest route from NYC to Binghamton is 80-380-81, but by that point NY 17 is the fastest route.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

lstone19

Because you're on the Thruway and the Thruway traditionally didn't really use control cities. Rather, they signed exits for the local cities the exit serves. They seem to be getting better but for those of us old enough to remember the old "Thruway blue" exit signs (before they then went to dark green but still in the same Thruway layout style and now to largely conforming green signs), they, AFAIK, always only listed local cities. I suspect back then the goal was to make the signs largely match the exit description on the toll ticket.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 10:52:56 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 04, 2021, 10:51:52 AM

The fastest route from NYC to Binghamton is 80-380-81, but by that point NY 17 is the fastest route.

For Manhattan, yes. For Westchester and Rockland counties, NY 17 is faster.
As with everything in NYC, it depends on traffic, but under normal conditions, the GWB is roughly the dividing line.

webny99

Quote from: lstone19 on May 04, 2021, 11:02:46 AM

Because you're on the Thruway and the Thruway traditionally didn't really use control cities. Rather, they signed exits for the local cities the exit serves. They seem to be getting better but for those of us old enough to the old "Thruway blue" exit signs (before they then went to dark green but still in the same Thruway layout style and now to largely conforming green signs), they, AFAIK, always only listed local cities. I suspect back then the goal was to make the signs largely match the exit description on the toll ticket.

Interesting. I suspect this mostly applies to non-interstates, because there are cases like I-390 (Corning) and I-81 (Watertown) where the control city for the route is used... although maybe those weren't used historically either, I'm not sure.

Roadgeekteen

Because you're on the Thruway and the Thruway traditionally didn't really use control cities. Rather, they signed exits for the local cities the exit serves. They seem to be getting better but for those of us old enough to the old "Thruway blue" exit signs (before they then went to dark green but still in the same Thruway layout style and now to largely conforming green signs), they, AFAIK, always only listed local cities. I suspect back then the goal was to make the signs largely match the exit description on the toll ticket.
They sign control cities for I-87 (Montreal)?

lstone19

As I said, they're getting better. I recall far away cities would be listed on an auxiliary sign about 1/2 mile before the exit saying something like:
Exit Here For
Montreal
Saratoga Springs
Lake George

I wish I had a picture of the old style Thruway exit signs. Not at all like today's signs and not at all like what was used on NYDOT maintained roads.

iPad

dkblake

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 02:19:36 PM

It's Albany/Montreal: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6795999,-73.8455831,3a,75y,349.2h,85.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6zDqWbuTx4w5x1_KW5CH0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: dkblake on May 04, 2021, 03:37:25 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 02:19:36 PM

It's Albany/Montreal: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6795999,-73.8455831,3a,75y,349.2h,85.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6zDqWbuTx4w5x1_KW5CH0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Albany is for I-90 east.

webny99

SignBridge

Istone19, I'm a few years older than you and I do remember the Thruway's blue signs with their unique style. They were actually among the original templates for what became the nationwide system, along with California's freeway signing. Though I favored complete standardization in signing when I was younger, I now miss both the Thruway's and Connecticut Turnpike's original blue signs and unique style.

machias

Quote from: webny99 on May 04, 2021, 11:15:36 AM

Interesting. I suspect this mostly applies to non-interstates, because there are cases like I-390 (Corning) and I-81 (Watertown) where the control city for the route is used... although maybe those weren't used historically either, I'm not sure.

Exit 36 originally used Syracuse for the control city. Binghamton was added a few years later as a supplemental sign on the same posts.

(81) (11)
      Syracuse
EXIT 36    1 MILE

Binghamton

I have a hunch the I-81 and US 11 markers replaced "ROUTE 11"

kalvado

What have happened with NYSDOT traffic data viewer? It was a great tool... 
Looks like there is a new design now, which is slow, but  shows 100k+ AADT for every 2-lane side street to compensate for the wait. 

PS. Good thing they didn't make it a roundabout, though.

UPD: got it, they just display some random number next to the road, you have to click to get the traffic info. Simplified design™

webny99

Quote from: kalvado on May 06, 2021, 11:17:20 AM
UPD: got it, they just display some random number next to the road, you have to click to get the traffic info. Simplified design™

Yeah, I noticed that as well... it was much easier to use when the AADT values were readily visible. Not sure what the six digits refer to, must be a reference code of some sort.

vdeane

Those are count station numbers, usually formatted XX_YZZZ.  XX is the region/county code (same as on reference markers).  YZZZ is the actual station number.  Y actually has some information regarding the type of count.  0 is state routes, 1 and 2 are federal aid eligible local routes, 3 is for ramps, 5 was used for the non-federal aid local roads VMT study a few years ago, 6 is for bridges off the federal aid system, 8 (I think) is for rail crossings off the federal aid system, and 9 is for special counts and not assigned permanently (presuming nothing's changed since the last data services conference... I remember someone saying something about wanting to move away from that system).  I forget what 4 and 7 are used for.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: webny99 on May 04, 2021, 11:15:36 AM

Yeah, you only have to go one exit up, and they sign Scranton for I-84.  There's no good reason not to be signing Binghamton for NY 17/Future I-86.

kalvado

Quote from: kalvado on April 22, 2021, 10:42:50 AM
Quote from: kalvado on April 15, 2021, 11:18:57 AM
I just went through affected area of I-87. Traffic situation is nowhere close to the total collapse we feared.
Right lane is separated by jersey barriers, steel support columns are installed in the right lane. Other two lanes are open for traffic.
No entry at Exit 9, removing a lot of traffic and a heavy merge just upstream of accident location.  Exit 8A is probably a mess during commute, but traffic is still suppressed by covid.
The only thing I would do differently is extending lane closure by another mile to exit 8A to facilitate that merge.

Biggest issue would be on weekends, when a lot of NYC vacation traffic would be coming from Adirondack and Lake George.
And the latest update: https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/After-crash-section-of-bridge-over-Northway-to-16118979.php
Section of a bridge is coming down, as @cl94 said - I assume the span over southbound lanes?. Highway closed overnight on weekend.
That's a lot of aftermath from a single impact...
And an end of the story - for now: Sitterly is open with a temporary bridge installed, highway is fully open for  past 2 weeks. Temporary bridge being higher than the old one - maybe by a foot or so-  is a small perk for highway traffic
I assume permanent bridge is the next thing to happen, but I wouldn't be surprized if it takes a year or two to be built.

Roadgeekteen

Why is the speed limit still 55 on part of I-84 in New York? Most rural freeways in New York are 65.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.