News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minimum speed limits

Started by MillTheRoadgeek, November 19, 2015, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MillTheRoadgeek

Being in Virginia, minimum speed limits aren't common.
I've seen them out in pictures, and realized that minimum speed limit signs don't work, since people may stop in certain cases or get caught in traffic jams. So, what is their purpose? Try to speed up commuters and keep them up? Only use them on rural highways? Or are other stops exemptions?  :hmmm:

Sound off below.

cl94

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on November 19, 2015, 09:32:50 PM
I've seen them out in pictures, and realized that minimum speed limit signs don't work, since people may stop in certain cases or get caught in traffic jams. So, what is their purpose? Try to speed up commuters and keep them up? Only use them on rural highways? Or are other stops exemptions?  :hmmm:

Sound off below.

Provide an easier reason to pull over/ticket people for going too slow and blocking traffic. New York typically doesn't use them, but the LIE and I-787 have them to keep traffic moving. The LIE in particular is so over capacity that a small issue, such as a person driving slow, can create a ripple effect causing traffic jams along the entire length of the expressway lasting for hours. Of course, they won't pull you over if you can't safely go the minimum speed due to traffic or weather conditions.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignGeek101

How many states actually post minimum signs? I know here in Canada, Quebec I believe is the only place to sign them on their Autoroutes.

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 19, 2015, 11:02:10 PM
How many states actually post minimum signs? I know here in Canada, Quebec I believe is the only place to sign them on their Autoroutes.

Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Vermont have posted signs. It is possible that more states have them.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cl94 on November 19, 2015, 11:21:08 PM

Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Vermont have posted signs. It is possible that more states have them.

South Carolina has had them since at least the late 1960s...

Mike

corco

Utah uses them, but sometimes with a "when conditions permit" banner

Pink Jazz

Sound off below.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel has a 40 mph minimum speed limit.

peterj920

Wisconsin used to post a minimum speed of 45 along Milwaukee freeways.  The signs were taken down and weren't replaced a few years ago. 

UCFKnights

Sound off below.
The purpose is to reduce speed differential. They only apply if traffic conditions permit, but if the road is going 70 and you're at 40... it can be pretty dangerous when people come up on you. I believe Florida has a statewide law 15mph under the speed limit is a minimum unless posted otherwise. It also generally applies for lower speed vehices... a [street legal] golf cart can operate on roads with speed limits up to 30mph as the maximum speed is generally 15-19mph. A scooter with a top speed of 40mph cannot operate on roads above 55mph.

hotdogPi

New Hampshire has minimum speed limits (usually 45), too.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on November 19, 2015, 11:21:08 PM

Illinois is 45 mph.  Michigan is 55 mph on 70 mph roads.  Iowa has a minimum of 40 mph.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: UCFKnights on November 20, 2015, 02:53:06 AM
...a [street legal] golf cart can operate on roads with speed limits up to 30mph as the maximum speed is generally 15-19mph. A scooter with a top speed of 40mph cannot operate on roads above 55mph.

Street Legal Golf Carts in Florida can be driven on roads in the travel lanes up to 35 mph, and the golf carts are permitted to go up to 25 mph. 

Non-street legal golf carts can drive on shoulders marked for golf carts.  The cart's permitted max speed is 20 mph.

xcellntbuy

Driving along Interstate 20 east of Atlanta, the speed limit is 70 mph and the posted minimum, often on a separate sign, is 40 mph.

roadman65

That makes absolutely no sense at all!  If there is a back up, you cannot do the minimum, of course.  Plus many times I want to do a specific speed limit and you get a bunch of idiots in front of you just driving slow for the heck of it, or must slow down to peek their curiosity to see why a cop pulled over another vehicle or something.  Believe it or not, many times people want to drive faster but cannot do to side by side morons blocking the road.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

Quote from: roadman65 on November 20, 2015, 08:24:29 AM
That makes absolutely no sense at all!  If there is a back up, you cannot do the minimum, of course.  Plus many times I want to do a specific speed limit and you get a bunch of idiots in front of you just driving slow for the heck of it, or must slow down to peek their curiosity to see why a cop pulled over another vehicle or something.  Believe it or not, many times people want to drive faster but cannot do to side by side morons blocking the road.

I agree. If they did that in New York, you wouldn't be able to get everywhere because everything would be LOS F.

lordsutch

Georgia has a 40 mph minimum posted fairly frequently on freeways in rural/suburban areas at least; unlike most states that post minimums, I've never seen it posted on a combined sign.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on November 20, 2015, 11:40:59 AM
^^ A combined sign like this?

https://goo.gl/maps/pnMKHKhqio82

:bigass:

I think they're referring more to signs like this that have no separation.

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on November 20, 2015, 08:24:29 AM

I think the point of minimum speed limits was to prevent folks in clapped-out beaters using a tow cord to pull another rambling wreck with a bad alternator, so as not to hold up the flow of I-95.

It wasn't about enforcement during reduced levels of service; you know, when the patrol cars are stopping folks for HOV violations.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on November 19, 2015, 10:47:27 PM
Provide an easier reason to pull over/ticket people for going too slow and blocking traffic. New York typically doesn't use them, but the LIE and I-787 have them to keep traffic moving.
NY 27 and NY 135 have them too.

The LIE in particular is so over capacity that a small issue, such as a person driving slow, can create a ripple effect causing traffic jams along the entire length of the expressway lasting for hours. Of course, they won't pull you over if you can't safely go the minimum speed due to traffic or weather conditions.
That's something I've always been concerned about.  I've always wondered what happens if traffic or weather forces one to go below the minimum and then encounter a cop doing speed enforcement.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

CT had them on I-95. In 2009 or 2010, the speed limit was 65 and minimum was 40. This was east of New Haven. A 25 mph buffer isn't quite the best...
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

lordsutch

Quote from: cl94 on November 20, 2015, 12:24:23 PM
I think they're referring more to signs like this that have no separation.

Yep. Georgia (almost?) exclusively posts separate, independently-mounted minimum speed signs, often well away from the nearest speed limit sign. See e.g. here, where the nearest speed limit signs are several miles away.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 20, 2015, 05:14:45 PM
CT had them on I-95. In 2009 or 2010, the speed limit was 65 and minimum was 40. This was east of New Haven. A 25 mph buffer isn't quite the best...

When CT had 55mph statewide the minimum was 40mph but when sections were increased to 65mph, the minimum stayed at 40mph, they should've increased it to at least 45mph.

I don't think you'll get ticketed if going under 40 in a traffic jam or snow conditions...probably in good weather when a bozo is a road hazard doing welllll below everyone else.

PS...to the above NYC posts....when I drive in NYC, I find if you follow the rules of the road, you're fine, but when you are allowed to right turn on red and don't and just sit there, cut in to another lane, stop in the lane for some reason, or just pokey, etc etc is when people honk at you.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Revive 755

Missouri used to post a minimum of 40.

GCrites

I remember there used to be a Minimum 40 sign on US-33 northbound just south of I-70 in Columbus -- right before a stoplight.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.