Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 16, 2011, 08:03:10 AM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on February 16, 2011, 07:57:25 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 16, 2011, 03:30:04 AM
Does anybody know if the US-19 reroute in Atlanta (PDF download) has been done yet?  It was approved in the Fall '10 AASHTO meeting.

Not yet, but could be any time. I live right off Piedmont RD and it's still GA 237.

Thanks for the update.  Please let me know when you see it done. ;)  I want to update GA US-19 for the CHM project, but will not do it till GDOT has posted the change in the field. ;)

I'll keep my eye on it, but I'll only be here until late March. Moving to Boston. I really haven't seen any kind of prep to indicate a change is coming, but I know it is.

Bryant5493

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 12, 2011, 03:03:14 PM
Nice clip, I like the Supertramp song :D

Thanks. ;-)

Quote from: Eth on February 12, 2011, 05:31:28 PM
I have family near there and remembered seeing the Old Alabama Rd portion under construction a while back.  Nice to see what the finished product looks like.

Cool. GDOT did a great job with the road.

---

With respect to U.S. 19:

I've not been up that way in a minute, but I doubt that its signed along its new routing yet. South Fulton Parkway -- portions of which are the S.R. 14 Connector, S.R. 14 Alternate, U.S. 29 Alternate, and S.R. 70 -- wasn't signed initially until I brought it to GDOT's attention.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: Bryant5493 on February 16, 2011, 01:40:45 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 12, 2011, 03:03:14 PM
Nice clip, I like the Supertramp song :D

Thanks. ;-)

Quote from: Eth on February 12, 2011, 05:31:28 PM
I have family near there and remembered seeing the Old Alabama Rd portion under construction a while back.  Nice to see what the finished product looks like.

Cool. GDOT did a great job with the road.

---

With respect to U.S. 19:

I've not been up that way in a minute, but I doubt that its signed along its new routing yet. South Fulton Parkway -- portions of which are the S.R. 14 Connector, S.R. 14 Alternate, U.S. 29 Alternate, and S.R. 70 -- wasn't signed initially until I brought it to GDOT's attention.

Be well,

Bryant

I wonder if GA 237 will be multiplexed with US 19 or truncated entirely on Piedmont Rd.??

Fixed quote. - rmf67

Eth

This being Georgia, there will certainly continue to be a state route designation of some sort on Piedmont.

I notice the AASHTO document says they're converting Peachtree Road into a "local roadway", which makes it sound like the SR 9 designation would probably also be removed from it; it would thus make sense for it to be moved onto the same routing as US 19.  If this is the case, I would expect that SR 13 would then be truncated to the Piedmont Road exit and SR 237 would be eliminated in favor of SR 9.  SR 141 would most likely also be truncated to Piedmont.

Tomahawkin

Has Anyone Noticed That The Are Installing New Sign Bridges On I-85 NE of Atlanta in Preparation for the New HOT/HOV Lanes?

architect77

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 20, 2011, 07:47:43 PM
Has Anyone Noticed That The Are Installing New Sign Bridges On I-85 NE of Atlanta in Preparation for the New HOT/HOV Lanes?
If you look at the sign specs on GDOT's website, you'll see that I-85 in Gwinnett is going to have tons of bridges spanning across, especially since Georgia is scared to erect anymore cantilevered signs. (Taking engineering back to the stone ages). Instead of beefing up the cantilevered truss members, they just give up altogether with those ridiculous elevated shoulders signs not even visible to the leftmost lanes.

Grzrd

10 counties and 68 cities in metro Atlanta will vote on a one cent sales tax increase to raise approximately $8 billion for transportation projects.  However, there is a $24 billion wish list that needs to be whittled down for presentation to the regional voters.  As far as major road projects, I-285/GA 400 and western I-20/I-285 interchanges are included.  Expansion of MARTA mass transit system will probably be included as well:

http://www.ajc.com/news/transportation-proposals-ready-region-892160.html

"The Atlanta Regional Commission expects to consolidate all the requests into a single regional list by April 15.

After the roundtable comes up with a draft list in August, the region will hold meetings, perhaps one in each county, to gather public reaction.

People already can share their opinions by sending an e-mail to info@atlantaregionalroundtable.com, and each meeting of the roundtable will begin with 10 minutes for public comments."

Grzrd

The proposed $1 billion project will include reversible toll lanes alongside I-75 andI-575:

http://www.ajc.com/news/public-private-toll-project-939801.html

"After years of false starts, the state Department of Transportation says it will soon open bidding on the largest transportation contract in state history – a $1 billion project to add 29 miles of reversible lanes alongside I-75 and I-575 in Cobb and Cherokee counties.

It is the state's maiden attempt to build public roads with private investment.

But it will come at a cost.

Drivers using these lanes will pay in tolls, and all Georgia drivers will pay in tax dollars. Some of the costs may remain secret, at least from the public, until after the final contract is signed.

The project between the Perimeter and Hickory Grove Road on I-75, and up to Sixes Road on I-575, will charge tolls that vary based on the level of congestion, though the DOT refused to divulge the rules for setting and raising the tolls.

In addition, a major issue in such deals elsewhere has been a clause – for the benefit of the private companies involved – that prevents the state from making other road improvements in the area that would ease traffic congestion and compete with the toll lanes.

For now, the exact provisions for Georgia are secret.

Electronic tolling – using just passes mounted on vehicles – is not unique: There is a smaller toll-lane project being built on I-85 in Gwinnett County, and others elsewhere in the country.

But the public-private approach on I-75/I-575 could pave the way for a network of privately financed toll projects throughout metro Atlanta ....

The state, though, is counting on drivers to pay hundreds of millions in toll fees over the next 50 years. Taxpayers will pitch in transportation money too, up to $450 million ....

The DOT has given up on ever having enough money to sufficiently widen metro Atlanta's interstates, because wider roads tend to just fill up again.

Instead, the state has planned a network of optional toll lanes. By keeping the toll high enough to keep out drivers who can't afford it, these lanes offer one thing available nowhere else: reliable free flow, even at rush hour.

The goal is for traffic in the lane to always be moving at least 45 mph ... "

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Grzrd

Here's a link to an editorial in AJC making the point that the result of tomorrow's vote regarding renewal of a 1%  sales tax for educational purposes in Fulton and DeKalb counties may well determine the fate of next year's referendum on a 1% sales tax increase to support transportation projects in the area:
http://blogs.ajc.com/kyle-wingfield/2011/11/02/t-splosts-fate-on-the-line-next-week-in-fulton-and-dekalb/

Here's a link to a list of the projects in metro Atlanta that would be supported by the 1% tax increase for transportation projects:
http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable.com/documents/final_report.pdf

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 07, 2011, 12:21:49 PM
tomorrow's vote regarding renewal of a 1%  sales tax for educational purposes in Fulton and DeKalb counties may well determine the fate of next year's referendum on a 1% sales tax increase to support transportation projects in the area ... Here's a link to a list of the projects in metro Atlanta that would be supported by the 1% tax increase for transportation projects:
http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable.com/documents/final_report.pdf
The renewal of the 1% sales tax for educational purposes in Fulton and DeKalb counties passed, setting the stage for the 2012 vote for the 1% increase for transportation projects.
Many projects are listed in the final report, but here's a list of the projects involving improvements to area interstates that would be supported by the 1% tax increase for transportation projects:
Interchange improvements to I-285 N at GA 400 - $450 million
Interchange improvements to I-85 N at I-285 - $53 million
Interchange improvements to I-285 W at I-20 W - $149 million
New interchange for I-285 W at Greenbriar Parkway - $36.4 million
Interchange improvements to I-75 N at Windy Hill Rd. - $77 million
Interchange improvements to I-20 E at Panola Road - $21.2 million
Interchange improvements to I-85 S at SR 74 - $22.5 million
Interchange improvements to I-285 W at Cascade Rd. - $23.6 million
New interchange for I-85 N at Gravel Springs Rd. (Gwinnett) - $33.3 million
Interchange improvements to I-75 S at Bill Gardner Parkway - $19 million

Should be an interesting information campaign leading up to the vote.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Bryant5493 on February 16, 2011, 01:40:45 PM
With respect to U.S. 19:

Be well,

Bryant

Curious, but have you been up there lately to see if US-19's reroute has been posted yet?

TheStranger

Looking at the PDF for the US 19 relocation in Atlanta...does this mean the old I-85 alignment will now be part of US 19?  That's pretty neat!
Chris Sampang

Grzrd

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 17, 2011, 10:09:35 PM
Curious, but have you been up there lately to see if US-19's reroute has been posted yet?
I drove northward on Peachtree this morning and it is still signed as US 19/GA 9.  I also drove on Piedmont from Piedmont/Peachtree intersection to old I-85 alignment/Buford Highway/GA 13 and Piedmont is still signed as GA 237.

NE2

Do they plan to move SR 9 or only US 19?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: Eth on February 16, 2011, 10:33:30 PM
This being Georgia, there will certainly continue to be a state route designation of some sort on Piedmont.
I notice the AASHTO document says they're converting Peachtree Road into a "local roadway", which makes it sound like the SR 9 designation would probably also be removed from it; it would thus make sense for it to be moved onto the same routing as US 19.  If this is the case, I would expect that SR 13 would then be truncated to the Piedmont Road exit and SR 237 would be eliminated in favor of SR 9.  SR 141 would most likely also be truncated to Piedmont.
Quote from: NE2 on December 18, 2011, 02:02:07 PM
Eth's post quoted above speculating that the SR 9 designation would probably be moved with the US 19 designation is the only thing I've read about the issue one way or the other.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Grzrd on December 18, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
I drove northward on Peachtree this morning and it is still signed as US 19/GA 9.  I also drove on Piedmont from Piedmont/Peachtree intersection to old I-85 alignment/Buford Highway/GA 13 and Piedmont is still signed as GA 237.

Thanks for checking today for me.  Really appreciate it.  Just wish GDOT would get this done. lol.

Bryant5493

Driving from Downtown to Midtown via Hank Aaron, Capitol, and Piedmont.

Be well,

Bryant

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 18, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
I emailed GDOT and asked them if a timetable exists for the change.  To make a long story short, they say the city of Atlanta is causing the delay.  GDOT's response:

"Thank you for contacting YOUR Georgia Department of Transportation.
AASHTO has approved the transfer of the US Route designation but it was in conjunction with the State Route changes. We are currently waiting on the city of Atlanta to sign a Notice of Intent that was executed by the Georgia DOT commissioner.
Again, we thank you for submitting your inquiry to the Georgia DOT. Please continue to contact us with your comments and questions."

I have emailed back and asked them what "was in conjunction with the State Route changes" means.  It took approximately three weeks for me to get this initial response, so I decided to go ahead and post the "Atlanta delay" info.

I will post again once I get a followup response... X-(

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 10, 2012, 07:12:44 PM
I emailed GDOT and asked them if a timetable exists for the change.  To make a long story short, they say the city of Atlanta is causing the delay ... AASHTO has approved the transfer of the US Route designation but it was in conjunction with the State Route changes. We are currently waiting on the city of Atlanta to sign a Notice of Intent that was executed by the Georgia DOT commissioner.
I received a followup response from GDOT today.  First, all state route changes are proposed until Atlanta signs off on them.  Related to US 19 change, GA 9 will move with US 19 and both designations will be in addition to the current GA 237 designation on Piedmont and GA 13 on the Buford Highway.  Not related to US 19, there will be a redesignation involving GA 141 as it crosses over GA 400 on Buckhead Loop, as well as a removal of the GA 141 designation from parts of Peachtree Road and Roswell Road. [EDIT - Oops. 141 removed from a part of Peachtree Road northeast of Roswell Road; 141 is not currently routed along Roswell Road]

Here is a map that GDOT emailed to me:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Grzrd on January 11, 2012, 09:27:43 PM
I emailed GDOT and asked them if a timetable exists for the change.  To make a long story short, they say the city of Atlanta is causing the delay ... AASHTO has approved the transfer of the US Route designation but it was in conjunction with the State Route changes. We are currently waiting on the city of Atlanta to sign a Notice of Intent that was executed by the Georgia DOT commissioner.
I received a followup response from GDOT today.  First, all state route changes are proposed until Atlanta signs off on them.  Related to US 19 change, GA 9 will move with US 19 and both designations will be in addition to the current GA 237 designation on Piedmont and GA 13 on the Buford Highway.  Not related to US 19, there will be a redesignation involving GA 141 as it crosses over GA 400 on Buckhead Loop, as well as a removal of the GA 141 designation from parts of Peachtree Road and Roswell Road.

Here is a map that GDOT emailed to me:

<snip>

Interesting that they will keep GA-13 and GA-237 co-signed with the new reroute of US-19/GA-9.  I honestly thought that they would have eliminated both routes on the segments that US-19/GA-9 took over.

Eth

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 11, 2012, 11:13:23 PM
Interesting that they will keep GA-13 and GA-237 co-signed with the new reroute of US-19/GA-9.  I honestly thought that they would have eliminated both routes on the segments that US-19/GA-9 took over.

Likewise.  Particularly 237, which I expected would be decommissioned entirely.

Grzrd

I emailed GDOT and asked them if a timetable exists for the change.  To make a long story short, they say the city of Atlanta is causing the delay ... AASHTO has approved the transfer of the US Route designation but it was in conjunction with the State Route changes. We are currently waiting on the city of Atlanta to sign a Notice of Intent that was executed by the Georgia DOT commissioner.
I received a followup response from GDOT today.  First, all state route changes are proposed until Atlanta signs off on them.  Related to US 19 change, GA 9 will move with US 19 and both designations will be in addition to the current GA 237 designation on Piedmont and GA 13 on the Buford Highway.  Not related to US 19, there will be a redesignation involving GA 141 as it crosses over GA 400 on Buckhead Loop, as well as a removal of the GA 141 designation from parts of Peachtree Road and Roswell Road. [EDIT - Oops. 141 removed from a part of Peachtree Road northeast of Roswell Road; 141 is not currently routed along Roswell Road]

I emailed GDOT back and asked why a change has been proposed.  GDOT's response:

The City of Atlanta requested that the Department take under consideration the removal of State Route 9/US 19(Peachtree Road) through North Atlanta and Midtown area in conjunction with the Street Car Project.
State Route 141 relocation and re-designation on a more northward section of Peachtree Rd was needed in order to modify the State Route System if the removal/transfer is going to take place.

As I understand it, the Atlanta Streetcar Project is currently planned to be built well south of the proposed changes (map on page 6/12 of pdf).  Perhaps the longer term vision is to run the Streetcar farther north on Peachtree.  At any rate, there does not appear to be any immediate need to change the signage.

mhking

Quote from: Grzrd on March 07, 2012, 12:12:30 PM
I emailed GDOT and asked them if a timetable exists for the change.  To make a long story short, they say the city of Atlanta is causing the delay ... AASHTO has approved the transfer of the US Route designation but it was in conjunction with the State Route changes. We are currently waiting on the city of Atlanta to sign a Notice of Intent that was executed by the Georgia DOT commissioner.
I received a followup response from GDOT today.  First, all state route changes are proposed until Atlanta signs off on them.  Related to US 19 change, GA 9 will move with US 19 and both designations will be in addition to the current GA 237 designation on Piedmont and GA 13 on the Buford Highway.  Not related to US 19, there will be a redesignation involving GA 141 as it crosses over GA 400 on Buckhead Loop, as well as a removal of the GA 141 designation from parts of Peachtree Road and Roswell Road. [EDIT - Oops. 141 removed from a part of Peachtree Road northeast of Roswell Road; 141 is not currently routed along Roswell Road]

The City of Atlanta requested that the Department take under consideration the removal of State Route 9/US 19(Peachtree Road) through North Atlanta and Midtown area in conjunction with the Street Car Project.
State Route 141 relocation and re-designation on a more northward section of Peachtree Rd was needed in order to modify the State Route System if the removal/transfer is going to take place.

As I understand it, the Atlanta Streetcar Project is currently planned to be built well south of the proposed changes (map on page 6/12 of pdf).  Perhaps the longer term vision is to run the Streetcar farther north on Peachtree.  At any rate, there does not appear to be any immediate need to change the signage.

The long-term for the Atlanta Streetcar Project is, indeed to run up Peachtree through Midtown and toward Buckhead, but I'm talking LONGterm, as they don't have a date for that phase. So I don't know what they (city officials) are thinking.

SSF

Quote from: mhking on March 10, 2012, 08:01:19 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on March 07, 2012, 12:12:30 PM

The long-term for the Atlanta Streetcar Project is, indeed to run up Peachtree through Midtown and toward Buckhead, but I'm talking LONGterm, as they don't have a date for that phase. So I don't know what they (city officials) are thinking.

they arent thinking at all,  the streetcar will be a nice(if likely impractical) complement to the existing infrastructure in getting around downtown/midtown. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.