News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemacedo9

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 28, 2021, 11:33:59 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on April 28, 2021, 08:35:47 AM
As far as that Valley Forge segment, the lawsuits have indeed been resolved. The only reason it hasn't gone to construction yet is money...

Apparently half of it (they split it into two phases) has gone to construction, technically, but so far it's just tree clearing.

The Press Release for the tree clearing (1/22/2021) mentions nothing about it being related to the widening project.  And there haven't been any other announcements about that section.  They did announce via a Press Release for the next widening project near Somerset (MP102-109) on 1/8/2021.  So I don't think anything has officially started in VF yet.

There have been several tree clearing projects all along the mainline over the last 3 years or so.

(This whole mini-thread should really be on the PA Turnpike board.)

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

thenetwork

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 29, 2021, 12:58:11 PM
PennDOT: Wolf Administration Previews 2021 Construction Season for Northwest Region

I am mainly posting this to note that traffic signal timings are being adjusted in Erie to account for the upcoming Bayfront Pkwy project.

Just out of curiosity -- Are traffic counts along I-90 in PA high enough to begin considering an additional lane (3-lanes) in each direction?  Since this is a total rebuild, this would be the time to consider it, no?

74/171FAN

Quote from: thenetwork on April 29, 2021, 09:42:08 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 29, 2021, 12:58:11 PM
PennDOT: Wolf Administration Previews 2021 Construction Season for Northwest Region

I am mainly posting this to note that traffic signal timings are being adjusted in Erie to account for the upcoming Bayfront Pkwy project.

Just out of curiosity -- Are traffic counts along I-90 in PA high enough to begin considering an additional lane (3-lanes) in each direction?  Since this is a total rebuild, this would be the time to consider it, no?

Definitely not, looking at the Erie County Traffic Volume Map, I-90 does not even get above 36,000 AADT.

Other PennDOT News from today:
PennDOT Announces Start of Construction on I-76 East (Schuylkill Expressway) Slope Repair Project in Montgomery County

Lehigh County: West State Street Closure in Coopersburg  (For an indefinite bridge closure)

Sixth Street Closure Begins Monday in Aspinwall Borough  (For Highland Park Bridge Project)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

I was looking at Google Street View and noticed that the old alignment of US 202 wheee the Parkway bypassed it, has not been given over to local control, but still maintained by PennDOT.  I see on PA 309 at the five points intersection in Montgomeryville Business US 202 shields are up for Doylestown Road and also on PA 611 at the State Street exit.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on May 01, 2021, 12:50:55 AM
I was looking at Google Street View and noticed that the old alignment of US 202 wheee the Parkway bypassed it, has not been given over to local control, but still maintained by PennDOT.  I see on PA 309 at the five points intersection in Montgomeryville Business US 202 shields are up for Doylestown Road and also on PA 611 at the State Street exit.

Yes, that is correct.  The old alignment of US 202 became a US 202 Business route due to businesses saying that they lost revenue due to the parkway.  It was approved by AASHTO in 2015.

roadman65

I see in addition PennDOT eliminated the half diamond interchange at the north end of the Doylestown Bypass for a T intersection. I am guessing the freeway to New Hope is completely cancelled that they did that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on May 01, 2021, 11:20:41 AM
I see in addition PennDOT eliminated the half diamond interchange at the north end of the Doylestown Bypass for a T intersection. I am guessing the freeway to New Hope is completely cancelled that they did that.

Yes, I believe that was completed in 2018.

74/171FAN

TheGrassGuy

Go to the Wikipedia article of PA-413 if you want to have a good laugh. :-D
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

74/171FAN

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 02, 2021, 01:10:35 PM
Go to the Wikipedia article of PA-413 if you want to have a good laugh. :-D

Am I supposed to be laughing at the route not being shown on the map at the upper right?

Or this:

QuotePA 413 begins at the Burlington—Bristol Bridge, a vertical-lift bridge over the Delaware River, in Bristol Township, Bucks County, where the road continues south into the city of Burlington, New Jersey as Route 413.

74/171FAN

qguy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 01, 2021, 12:13:09 PM

The location of that project is called Poole's Corner, BTW.

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 01, 2021, 12:13:09 PM

They still haven't fixed the intersection in Buckingham where traffic on NB 202 has to turn left at a stop-controlled intersection to continue north.  There should be a signal there.

Angelo71

Will US-30 ever stop being updated? My cousin, Adrianna lives in Pittsburgh and she told me that US-30 is under construction after a pavement and other construction. Why is that?

Mr_Northside

I'm not sure what "updated" really means here.   A lot of time "under construction" is just rehabbing.  Basically what's been there, except in better shape.
As US-30 stretches across the whole state, E-W style, there's probably always going to be some kind of construction on some segment of roadway that US-30 is signed on.

I guess my short answer is:  No.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 11, 2021, 11:06:36 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 08, 2021, 02:10:04 PM
I-76/Schuylkill Expwy Variable Speed Limit signs are now active.

Speeds will stay at 55MPH until 5/10 as part of a testing period.

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=6578

And they are live...  PennDOT Begins Posting Variable Speed Limits on I-76 (Schuylkill Expressway) between King of Prussia and Philadelphia

Driving through this section on Saturday, they must have been active due to road work on the shoulder because there was no congestion here.  I probably would have been crashed had I actually drove 35 mph.

Anyway from PennDOT District 8 on US 22/US 322: ​Wolf Administration Announces Opening of Diverging Diamond Interchange at Routes 322/222 in Ephrata, Lancaster County

jemacedo9

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 17, 2021, 02:17:48 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 11, 2021, 11:06:36 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 08, 2021, 02:10:04 PM
I-76/Schuylkill Expwy Variable Speed Limit signs are now active.

Speeds will stay at 55MPH until 5/10 as part of a testing period.

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=6578

And they are live...  PennDOT Begins Posting Variable Speed Limits on I-76 (Schuylkill Expressway) between King of Prussia and Philadelphia

Driving through this section on Saturday, they must have been active due to road work on the shoulder because there was no congestion here.  I probably would have been crashed had I actually drove 35 mph.

Anyway from PennDOT District 8 on US 22/US 322: ​Wolf Administration Announces Opening of Diverging Diamond Interchange at Routes 322/222 in Ephrata, Lancaster County

There was a FB post earlier in the week regarding that work zone...there were static signs for a 45MPH limit but the VSLs read 40MPH, and PennDOT replied that it was an error and being looked into.  I saw a separate post also complaining about the 35MPH limit with no congestion noted.

sprjus4

And this is why variable speed limits stand the chance to be ineffective... if you post low, unreasonable limits, they won't be followed. Even worse violation than the actual speed limit.

Bitmapped

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 17, 2021, 05:15:03 PM
And this is why variable speed limits stand the chance to be ineffective... if you post low, unreasonable limits, they won't be followed. Even worse violation than the actual speed limit.

Posting low, unreasonable speed limits is PennDOT's raison d'etre. It manifests with the public and police routinely ignoring the posted limits on "urban" freeways and traveling at 10-15 over. Variable speed limits are going to have the same problem unless PennDOT actually uses reasonable speeds relatively to conditions.

PennDOT has long maxed out speed limits at 55 in "urban" areas. If the concern is the potential for congestion and they have variable speed limits, maybe a sign of good faith would be to post speed limits higher than 55 when traffic is light.

Ketchup99

Perhaps, but remember PA cannot legally post 60, and I can't really see 65 ever being posted on much of the Schuylkill. Not saying it shouldn't be, but that's not even imaginable.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 19, 2021, 09:25:28 AM
Perhaps, but remember PA cannot legally post 60, and I can't really see 65 ever being posted on much of the Schuylkill. Not saying it shouldn't be, but that's not even imaginable.
Although such was a Work-Zone Speed Limit but I did see some Speed Limit 60 signs along I-99's current work zones.  The regular speed limit there is 70.

The above was the first time I've seen a SPEED LIMIT 60 sign in PA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NJRoadfan

Variable speed limits really should only be implemented when there is an active roadway hazard (roadwork, fog, construction, accident, etc.) The entire NJ Turnpike has variable speed limits, but its rare to see them set below the normal 55/65 unless there is some sort of triggering event. Normal traffic congestion isn't one of them!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.