News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Capital Build 2019

Started by ilpt4u, May 17, 2019, 06:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

*EDIT* Updated thread title, since the Legislature passed the bill and the Governor is fully expected to sign

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-met-ritzker-illinois-capital-plan-20190517-story.html#nt=oft12aH-2gp2

Still in progress, but the Tribune story does highlight that the Des Plaines River Bridges and I-80 in Will County account for $1.1 Billion of the $41.5 Billion program in its current Draft form

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/illinois-lawmakers-considering-every-revenue-option-for-infrastructure-plan-by/article_30604f9b-3c52-5499-b693-6a20aadf3e09.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

A little different take on it on Southern IL at this point, but this report emphasizes bipartisanship in general support to raise fuel taxes and increase Infrastructure spending. Also highlighted is an annual cost of $18.3 Billion on IL Residents for vehicle damage, crashes, and congestion from rough, old, crumbling roads

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/gov-pritzker-outlines-draft-billion-rebuild-illinois-capital-plan/article_de942a10-1fff-59ab-ac9c-1af429339f9b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

More highlights from The Southern Illinoisan: $135 Million to reconstruct the Southern I-55/I-72 Interchange in Springfield...that needs to be expanded and do both the Northern and Southern and widen between!

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 17, 2019, 06:16:07 PM
More highlights from The Southern Illinoisan: $135 Million to reconstruct the Southern I-55/I-72 Interchange in Springfield...that needs to be expanded and do both the Northern and Southern and widen between!

The north I-55/I-72 interchange should be a higher priority than the south one.  At least at the south one there is not a mainline interstate taking a loop ramp.

sparker

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 17, 2019, 10:35:45 PM

The north I-55/I-72 interchange should be a higher priority than the south one.  At least at the south one there is not a mainline interstate taking a loop ramp.

That certainly is an understatement!  ROW preservation for the expansion of the north interchange should have been undertaken already -- at least after I-72's western extension some 25-30 years ago!  But the original section of I-72 seems always to have been an "afterthought", given its inclusion in the '68 additions as -- for all intents & purposes -- either Everett Dirksen's retirement present to his hometown (Decatur) or as a handout to ADM!  The persistence of cloverleaves at either end (although there apparently is an upgrade of the I-57 terminus in the works) attests to I-72's secondary consideration in the prioritization department.  Now -- it's easy to see that a NB 55>WB 72 flyover would certainly be a welcome addition to the south Springfield interchange -- but the more severe substandard feature re route continuity needs to be addressed prior to a secondary movement.  If there's going to be funding available, may as well use it where it's most obviously needed!     

edwaleni

Part of the revenue plan is a up front $1000 vehicle tax on electrics.

Most people accept that electrics need to contribute to the roads, but an up front $1000 is considered a bit regressive and will kill the market.

Other plans to recover revenue from electrics were found to be more expensive to implement than the one time fee.

Proposal to have all chargers (including home ones) registered with their local utility and metered for road taxes was also considered.

The electric utility lobby was not for that at all as it pushes a regulatory requirement for highways into their space.

So essentially Illinois is going to cut into the federal tax rebate for electrics and take back $1000 for its self for highways.

If UPS and Walmart jump on electric trucks as fast as many think, Illinois will probably propose a larger cut up front for them since they by design are heavier.

I-39

I wonder if there will be anything in here for the I-57/74 interchange rebuild and the I-39/US 20 project?

ilpt4u

I read that the Electric Vehicle Annual Registration is only raised to $250 in this latest draft. Gas tax raised to 34 cents/gallon, I believe, as well

The $1000 EV Registration fee was an earlier proposal

That's what I have heard too. The EV would be 51 above the new car registration. I have seen in shows like Illinois lawmakers that even this is not final. The republicans seriously  want to deal on this and sports betting so there is not much risk of going overtime. The Gov and democrats probably want to get the Constitutional Amendment and nudge and pot done before the deadline
The Govs budget outline only mentioned a few major projects. 80 47 72 and 67.

ilpt4u

There was a mention of US 40 in Effingham as well

adt1982

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 18, 2019, 10:02:35 PM
There was a mention of US 40 in Effingham as well

...US 40/Illinois 33/Fayette Avenue: $61.2 million for US 40/Illinois 33/Fayette Avenue in Effingham County. This segment of roadway in Effingham carries 14,000 vehicles daily with nearly 9 percent being truck traffic...

Someone suggested it was a joke on the so called eastern bloc of legislators that regularly rants and races about Chicago and the Effingham county board that regularly passed anti Chicago resolutions. After the project is completed there would be a sign that says paid for primarily by the taxpayers of Cook County.

skluth

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 17, 2019, 10:35:45 PM

I agree the north interchange needs work to eliminate the cloverleaf ramps, at least the I-72 westbound cloverleaf. However, the entire I-55/72 concurrency has needed six lanes since at least the late 80's.  (I moved to STL then. Don't have a good idea of when traffic originally got bad there.) It could be that interchange improvements on all the east side interchanges will happen when IDOT finally gets around to making it six lanes.

inkyatari

Quote from: 3467 on May 18, 2019, 09:55:17 PM

47?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: inkyatari on May 30, 2019, 04:38:04 PM

47?

IL state route 47.

inkyatari

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 30, 2019, 04:48:37 PM

47?

IL state route 47.

Right, but which project? Widening between Caton Farm and Yorkville, or the I-88 interchange project? Something else?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: inkyatari on May 31, 2019, 08:44:16 AM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 30, 2019, 04:48:37 PM

47?

IL state route 47.

Right, but which project? Widening between Caton Farm and Yorkville, or the I-88 interchange project? Something else?

Does anyone have a full list of the projects?

ilpt4u

Today is the last day of the Spring Legislative Session...If this moves beyond Draft into Passed, we should have a full list very shortly

Session extended Capital Bill Gambling and Budget still left. Pot legal constitutional amendment on graduated tax plus rates and a property tax task force done.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 3467 on May 31, 2019, 05:01:45 PM
Session extended Capital Bill Gambling and Budget still left. Pot legal constitutional amendment on graduated tax plus rates and a property tax task force done.
Probably the 3 issues that include the most haggling...But I am confident they will get done

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 31, 2019, 06:19:55 PM
Probably the 3 issues that include the most haggling...But I am confident they will get done

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

The Senate left town and said they had bipartisan agreement to agree to whatever the house decided on the remains issues. They have a number for highways but no project breakouts yet. Since this is bipartisan it looks like al! The old formulas will hold and no projects are getting politically targeted.

Crash_It

Quote from: Brandon on May 31, 2019, 06:47:44 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well considering that they quickly got the pot bill passed and the new tax code, this will roll through just as easily.

It did . Gas tax up but has sales tax gone. 41 billion road and transit. No details yet of projects.

Brandon

Quote from: Crash_It on June 01, 2019, 12:59:24 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 31, 2019, 06:47:44 PM

Well considering that they quickly got the pot bill passed and the new tax code, this will roll through just as easily.

The twits downstate waited until overtime, and then they sprung the bill when few were looking (typical of Darth Mike).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

capitolfax.com has the project list for District 7 under the story Freeloading it ....He is going to post them all later.New construction of 60 million is all going to Effingham None for 50 or 51.

I-39

Does the capital bill include anything for the reconstruction of the I-57/74 interchange in Champaign?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.