News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 58

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 22, 2019, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: sparker on August 24, 2019, 03:54:36 PM
^^^^^^^
D6 is one of the few districts that actually seems to promote a reasonable level of continuity with relinquished highways; the retained 178 signage through downtown Bakersfield exemplifies that.  I haven't heard any reportage from the area regarding the level of signage on those relinquished sections of 58 on Rosedale Highway within the city limits; if it follows the previous example, there still will be regular reassurance shielding.  But with the other item mentioned -- I'd simply route CA 178 over the northern portion of CA 204 to CA 99, and use the connecting surface streets to access southward 99.  A lot closer and more in line with the E-W 178 trajectory.  CA 204 may as well be relinquished south of 178; it really doesn't serve a purpose (and is signed as Business 99 in any case); just another one of those "we own it therefore it's signed" Caltrans situations.  But the northern part does serve as a reasonable connector to CA 99 (particularly northward). 

This.  I imagine it's faster on both directions of 99 to use 204 to get to 178 than to go through downtown.

sparker

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 25, 2019, 02:06:46 PM
^^^^^^^
D6 is one of the few districts that actually seems to promote a reasonable level of continuity with relinquished highways; the retained 178 signage through downtown Bakersfield exemplifies that.  I haven't heard any reportage from the area regarding the level of signage on those relinquished sections of 58 on Rosedale Highway within the city limits; if it follows the previous example, there still will be regular reassurance shielding.  But with the other item mentioned -- I'd simply route CA 178 over the northern portion of CA 204 to CA 99, and use the connecting surface streets to access southward 99.  A lot closer and more in line with the E-W 178 trajectory.  CA 204 may as well be relinquished south of 178; it really doesn't serve a purpose (and is signed as Business 99 in any case); just another one of those "we own it therefore it's signed" Caltrans situations.  But the northern part does serve as a reasonable connector to CA 99 (particularly northward). 

This.  I imagine it's faster on both directions of 99 to use 204 to get to 178 than to go through downtown.

I've done it -- and the answer is considerably!.   Downtown via the surface signed 178 is a bit of a slog; the only immediately apparent reason (aside from nostalgia for formerly vital downtown districts!) to utilize it would be go get to the Amtrak station a few blocks to the south. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on August 25, 2019, 05:28:31 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 25, 2019, 02:06:46 PM
^^^^^^^

I've done it -- and the answer is considerably!.   Downtown via the surface signed 178 is a bit of a slog; the only immediately apparent reason (aside from nostalgia for formerly vital downtown districts!) to utilize it would be go get to the Amtrak station a few blocks to the south.

I can also attest any direction on 204 is way more efficient than taking old 178 through downtown.  Even Union Avenue south of downtown has a pretty swift traffic flow to it with a pretty large capacity. 

TJS23

I had the chance to drive the route from 101 to 33, it was a very interesting road, especially the part in the plains which were sort of like a roller coaster. There was nobody around so it was possible to go pretty fast in that part, it would be an interesting race track. I was also shocked that after there was the whole windy drop into McKittrick. I agree that there's no need to extend any interstate this way, but 40 should definitely be extended to at least Bakersfield and even 5. It was a pretty long detour and pretty tiring, I kept going on 33 which was a mistake because it got dark and I missed all the mountain scenery on that route. :pan: :spin: I think I'm sticking to 5 for my SF to LA trips for the time being :D Anyway just thought I'd share my thoughts, I've been inspired by the forum to try new routes but honestly it was pretty similar to 198 and I wouldn't take it again.

kkt

Quote from: TJS23 on March 03, 2021, 03:06:01 AM
I think I'm sticking to 5 for my SF to LA trips for the time being :D

Oh, don't stop exploring, just be conscious of what time sunset is going to be.  :)

Regarding an interstate to US 101 in the south Central Valley, if (and it's a big if) this is ever needed, CA 46 would be the obvious choice.  Gentler grades and it's mostly 4-lane expressway already.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on March 03, 2021, 02:54:29 PM
Quote from: TJS23 on March 03, 2021, 03:06:01 AM
I think I'm sticking to 5 for my SF to LA trips for the time being :D

Oh, don't stop exploring, just be conscious of what time sunset is going to be.  :)

Regarding an interstate to US 101 in the south Central Valley, if (and it's a big if) this is ever needed, CA 46 would be the obvious choice.  Gentler grades and it's mostly 4-lane expressway already.

Worth noting that 166 is also decidedly less curvy than 58 and 198.  But yes, 46 is the obvious main corridor for a reason.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.