News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 93 in Missoula: Beyond help?

Started by Kniwt, June 20, 2019, 07:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

Apologies in advance for ranting. But I just spent a couple days back in Missoula after living there about 20 years ago (and going back several times since), and I was somewhat surprised at just how badly the US 93 (Reserve Street) corridor now functions. It was once the "bypass," but it's long since been consumed by retail, professional, and a massive increase in thru-corridor trucking.

No matter what time of day I hit it, traffic was always a nightmare, far out of proportion to "small Inland Northwest city" standards. In fact, just for kicks, I bicycled most of it at 6pm and managed to easily beat the cars and trucks (and even with a headwind, natch).

There doesn't appear to be any way to meaningfully improve the highway. The signal cycles are already horribly long, and there's nowhere to add more lanes. And given that it's Missoula, I'm sure that trying to take any land farther to the west for a bypass-bypass is an absolute non-starter.

Granted that Missoula is making a big deal about trying to favor "alternative transportation" (and, admittedly, they're very good at providing such infrastructure), but something needs to be done about the massive growth in through traffic that gets stuck with the local traffic.

Reserve Street made my visit to Missoula much more frustrating than it should have been.

Billy F 1988

Brother, I totally understand how frustrating U.S. 93 can be in Missoula. I absolutely loathe the Reserve Street section from Grant Creek Road all the way to Brooks Street. The unfortunate thing about creating alternate thru traffic routes is that given the geography and landscape, since Missoula was formed by Glacial Lake Missoula during the prehistoric flood, there is no feasible way to cut one through given the arduous task of calling up the Forest Service, DNRC, and all the other parties like the city council and county permitting, plus calling up the Montana Department of Transportation and awaiting approval from Helena makes it more difficult.

I look at how MDT was able to get Alternate U.S. 93 through on the west side of Kalispell. I like to think it is feasible for an alternate thru-traffic route, but given the location of where the river is at, plus all this city-owned and DNRC-Forest Service owned land in various spots, it's not that easy. Really, the only true alternate thru-traffic route is I-90. That in of itself is frustrating due to the work on the bridges near Bonner. Plus you factor in the hefty taxes levied against Missoula taxpayers to make an alternate thru-traffic route. I mean, unless we pull a CalTrans move and double-deck Reserve Street, hell I don't even see that happening at all! :D

And as for the signal cycles, you'll find the horrendously long cycle times pretty much at most of the intersections in town, especially the downtown area. And..I. HATE. THE FLASHING YELLOW ARROWS!!! Good lord! You pretty much can tell how annoying that can be when you are in the turn lane and you can't make a left until the upper yellow lights up.

In other words, you're not the only one who dislikes Reserve Street. I have no liking to that road at all, either.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.