News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Elizabeth Bridge (PA-51) closed indefinitely after crack discovered

Started by rickmastfan67, September 27, 2019, 08:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

The bridge is fracture critical, meaning if any tensile element fails, the bridge could collapse.  A crack in a steel cable is very serious and called for the bridge to be closed.

Kniwt

The bridge has reopened.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/09/27/elizabeth-bridge-repair-begins/

QuoteSwank Construction finished the replacing the bridge's main support cables and temporary supports have been installed for the transition.

"The bracket that was holding up the temporary support system for the cables failed,"  says Cheryl Moon-Siriani Executive for District 11 of PennDOT.

It was a single failure but Moon-Siriani says it put in question the delicate engineering balance of the bridge, "A problem on one cable could cause additional cables to take on more loads. We don't play with risk when it comes to 25,000 vehicles a day using a bridge. If we felt there was any risk of safety, which we did, then we shut the bridge down."

PennDOT's engineers worked through the night to come up with a solution to the problem and have decided to go with a different support system.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.