News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

I hate the word "physicality". It does not belong in a sports commentator's vocabulary.

ilpt4u

"Student-Athlete"  has no place in Major College Sports, where Schools, Coaches, Sponsors, and TV Networks are making Millions (Billions in aggregate) of Dollars on the backs of "Student-Athletes"

Call them what they are, like "Athletes"  or "Players"  or *gasp* "Professionals"

GaryV

And if college players "choose to sit out" a bowl game, perhaps they should choose to give back some of their scholarship.

roadman

The whole concept of "pass interference".  Isn't it the job of the defense to prevent the other team from completing passes?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

Quote from: roadman on January 02, 2020, 09:04:34 AM
The whole concept of "pass interference".  Isn't it the job of the defense to prevent the other team from completing passes?

What do you propose they call it instead of "pass interference"?

While we're at it, professional players that beg for a flag grate my carrot.

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on January 02, 2020, 09:31:48 AM

What do you propose they call it instead of "pass interference"?

How about "The defender doing their job".   B4ecause that's what it is.  Now, I can see throwing a flag if a defender body slams the receiver to prevent a catch - that's covered under unnecessary roughness.  But calling a penalty when a defender knocks the ball away as the receiver is about to catch it is ludicrous.  Time to let the players play the game.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 01, 2020, 06:48:24 PM
Cowboy Joe West, calling Balls and Strikes, or even being a Base Umpire

Wow. I quit MLB after the 1994 strike, and had pretty much quit listening to the Reds on the radio a year or so prior (when I started dating my now-wife and didn't have as much time to listen to the games as I did as a bachelor), but even prior to that, Marty Brennaman never had a kind word to say about the ump he called "Country Joe." In fact, I distinctly remember Brennaman saying, "He's a bad umpire," once upon a time.

So he's still as bad as he ever was?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Big John

This is about sportscasting at halftime .
The XYZ halftime report, brought to you by XYZ.
2 problems are it adds to the ways for more ads. And it adds to the department of redundacy department.

webny99

Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM
Commentators love "unanswered points" even if they don't understand what they are.

Just out of curiousity, how would you describe unanswered points?

I would say, scoring on a drive/possession/whatever is what you're supposed to do, and doing so is part of the back-and-forth nature of sports. If you score points, then the opposing team has an opportunity to score points and fails, and then you score more, then those points are unanswered. But, the act of putting points on the board does not automatically make those points "unanswered", unless the opponent fails on their ensuing possession.

roadman

Quote from: Big John on January 02, 2020, 11:34:10 AM
2 problems are it adds to the ways for more ads. And it adds to the department of redundacy department.

Also the post game press conference where the wall behind the coach is plastered with sponsor logos.

SectorZ

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2020, 06:52:21 PM
Hockey players, when injured, usually leave the game, are declared dead, get 170 stiches for massive loss of blood, receive an organ or limb transplant, and make it back to the bench to be on the ice for their next shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h15m87WsCHQ

For the ultimate in the injured hockey player realm, Gregory Campbell took a slapshot in the leg which broke it, and he stayed out there for a power play shift with the broken leg.

texaskdog

Quote from: webny99 on January 02, 2020, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM
Commentators love "unanswered points" even if they don't understand what they are.

Just out of curiousity, how would you describe unanswered points?

I would say, scoring on a drive/possession/whatever is what you're supposed to do, and doing so is part of the back-and-forth nature of sports. If you score points, then the opposing team has an opportunity to score points and fails, and then you score more, then those points are unanswered. But, the act of putting points on the board does not automatically make those points "unanswered", unless the opponent fails on their ensuing possession.

Florida scores 20.  Then Georgia scores 21 and it's 21-20 then they are "unanswered". When Florida scores again those are no longer unanswered points because they were answered.  The correct term is consecutive but that is not the vernacular they choose to use. 

texaskdog

Especially offensive pass interference.  It's not the QBs job to throw to the defense. 

Also annoying are those people who consistently think they don't call enough penalties.

Beltway

Quote from: texaskdog on January 02, 2020, 07:29:26 PM
Especially offensive pass interference.  It's not the QBs job to throw to the defense. 
Each player is supposed to be able to have the opportunity to catch the ball, whether offensive pass receiver or defensive back.

That means trying to catch the ball, without physical pushing, shoving, restraining, blocking, tackling, etc., before the ball reaches those players.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: texaskdog on January 02, 2020, 07:29:26 PM

According to the NFL rules: "When the ball is in the air, eligible offensive and defensive receivers have the same right to the path of the ball and are subject to the same restrictions."

This seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ilpt4u

Quote from: hbelkins on January 02, 2020, 11:12:27 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 01, 2020, 06:48:24 PM
Cowboy Joe West, calling Balls and Strikes, or even being a Base Umpire

Wow. I quit MLB after the 1994 strike, and had pretty much quit listening to the Reds on the radio a year or so prior (when I started dating my now-wife and didn't have as much time to listen to the games as I did as a bachelor), but even prior to that, Marty Brennaman never had a kind word to say about the ump he called "Country Joe." In fact, I distinctly remember Brennaman saying, "He's a bad umpire," once upon a time.

So he's still as bad as he ever was?
I am much more a Cubs than Sox fan...As a Cubbie fan, Pat & Ron (Santo) gave Cowboy Joe crap for being bad...but Ken "The Hawk"  Harrelson would famously rant about the badness of Joe West when Joe was doing a Sox game.

I did a quick youtube search, found a gem from a 2010 Mark Buerhle pitched game where Joe called a Bogus Balk from 1st Base. Hawk Harrelson is not being nice from the TV Booth

https://youtu.be/c2Nvy3SFs7M

texaskdog

Since you mentioned the Cubs, any single person who did anything to ruin Steve Bartman's life

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on January 02, 2020, 11:40:59 PM
Since you mentioned the Cubs, any single person who did anything to ruin Steve Bartman's life

Most of the Cubs fan base is throughly unlikeable to begin with, their reaction to Steve Bartman is no surprise. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: Big John on January 02, 2020, 11:34:10 AM
Then there's the in-game commentator shamelessly plugging it
Next up the XYZ halftime report with X, Y, Z, A and B (panelists) with all the scores and highlights from...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

This thread popped up way under my radar. Minor things that annoy me:
* "The" Ohio... you know how many state universities Ohio has?
* The Jets not ending up in Manhattan
* So now LA gets two football teams and San Diego and St. Louis get none?
* Fair catching a kickoff outside the end zone (college) and getting it moved way up. No. You catch it there, it goes there.
* Gradual erosion of onside kicking. If you have to declare it, it's not going to work.
* The new PAT location. Can't disguise a 2 point attempt.
* Offsides rule in soccer applying to someone's forehead being 2 microns beyond the other person's toe.
* The inability of NFL review to overturn blatant pass interference
* The acceptance of double dribbles in the NBA if it leads to a cool dunk
* The NBA
* Power 5 schools who schedule FCS opponents, and the fact that those games count
* People who call all Yankees fans bandwagoners or "of course you win when you spend all that money," hypocritically forgetting how much money their own team spends or how many bandwagon fans they have for winning whatever (and substitute any other popular team for the Yankees here).
* Arbitrary rules about what can be on your shoes, hats, socks, etc. Shoe color.

Bruce

the MLS

Not grammatically correct, and few people would make the mistake of using "the MLB". Just shows disrespect for the 5th major league (which MLS is, like it or not).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2020, 12:39:08 AM
* Gradual erosion of onside kicking.

This is why I absolutely hate the changes made to NFL kickoffs in the last few years.

Quote* The inability of NFL review to overturn blatant pass interference

And this is why the rule was stupid in the first place. It was an overreaction to one blatant miscall.

texaskdog

If you don't want to have kickoffs anymore fine but just start at the 25.  Why do I have to watch the kick into the endzone and wait through yet another commercial.

ilpt4u

Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 01:34:42 AM
If you don't want to have kickoffs anymore fine but just start at the 25.  Why do I have to watch the kick into the endzone and wait through yet another commercial.
I find the proposal to give the Scoring team (TD/FG) or Scored Upon Team (Safety) an automatic 4th and somewhere around 15-25, on about their own 25-30 yard line quite fascinating, in lieu of a Kickoff/Free Kick

Most times, said team will Punt. If they really need the ball back, they'll go for the 1st Down on the 1 play. And statistically, supposedly anyway, the probabilities are higher to covert a 4th and 15 compared to a successful Onside Kick recovery. Fail, tho, and you give the other team exceptionally great Field Position

texaskdog

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 03, 2020, 01:44:50 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 01:34:42 AM
I find the proposal to give the Scoring team (TD/FG) or Scored Upon Team (Safety) an automatic 4th and somewhere around 15-25, on about their own 25-30 yard line quite fascinating, in lieu of a Kickoff/Free Kick

Most times, said team will Punt. If they really need the ball back, they'll go for the 1st Down on the 1 play. And statistically, supposedly anyway, the probabilities are higher to covert a 4th and 15 compared to a successful Onside Kick recovery. Fail, tho, and you give the other team exceptionally great Field Position

Agreed on the 4th & 10. 

I wish coaches used analytics.  If more coaches strategically tried to win and didn't worry about perception (punts can be blocked, go for 10 yards, be returned, etc, but coaches are just treated like that is bad luck) the game would be more fun to watch.  In a game where you need to have the ball to get points they give it away.

Punts should be counted in the turnover stats.  If you didn't score, it's a turnover.  The attitude toward punting drives me crazy.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2006/never-punting
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-you-should-never-punt-2013-11

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.