News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Interesting Stretches of Roads in Iowa?

Started by PastTense, January 31, 2020, 11:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PastTense

Someone updated a thread today:
The Most Interesting Stretches of Highway
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22766.0

but there was no mention of Iowa.

So any thoughts? In the hilly Northeast Iowa perhaps? Or along the Missouri or Mississippi rivers perhaps? Or?

Max Rockatansky

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

pianocello

It depends on how you define interesting, but there's a lot of hills and river views in the Dubuque area.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

MNHighwayMan

In the western part of the state, Iowa 44 through the loess hills (termed "The Western Skies Scenic Byway" on signage) is quite interesting. I'm sure other routes in that general area are interesting too, but that's the one I've driven.

edwaleni

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 31, 2020, 07:47:28 PM
In the western part of the state, Iowa 44 through the loess hills (termed "The Western Skies Scenic Byway" on signage) is quite interesting. I'm sure other routes in that general area are interesting too, but that's the one I've driven.

https://www.traveliowa.com/trails/western-skies-scenic-byway/12/

Revive 755

IA 64 isn't bad.  The Great River Road between US 52 at Millville and the Dubuque area has some nice views.

mgk920

I remember roadtripping across Iowa back in the mid 1990s on the then US 20 and was somewhat in awe of the view on westbound US 20 (now the 'old' road) on its approach to what is now IA 471 west of Sac City at a hazy dusk.

:cool:

I also found US 20 in itself to be a very interesting drive the entire way, both the 'new' highway as it existed then and exploring the 'old' road that it parallels.

Mike

bugo

IA 2 between I-29 and US 275 in the Loess Hills is interesting for a mile or two.

DandyDan

When I was in the Omaha area, I always loved to drive on old US 275 between Council Bluffs and Glenwood.

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 01, 2020, 10:21:44 PM
IA 64 isn't bad.  The Great River Road between US 52 at Millville and the Dubuque area has some nice views.
I enjoyed driving on IA 64 as well.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

skluth

A lot of people won't find it interesting, but I love how the new IA 27/Avenue of the Saints winds its way between Cedar Falls and Mason City. It's a very relaxing four-lane highway with gentle curves meandering through the rolling hills and windmill farms. It's especially appreciated when I was returning to St Louis from Minneapolis and you get off I-35 with its trucks and tailgaters.

US71

old Lincoln Highway, parts of the old Jefferson Highway
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

midwesternroadguy

I nominate IA 76 and a combination of IA 26/County X52/former IA 364 from New Albin to Marquette. Clearly, the best scenery along an extended stretch of highway in Iowa with the bluffs, valleys, and the Mississippi.  The stretch of IA 76 just north of Marquette is rather unique as it runs the gauntlet, hemmed in by the railroad on the east, and rock faces at the base of the Bluffs on the other side of the highway, leaving no room for any shoulders.  Throw in occasional rocks falling onto the highway from the bluff, and it’s a memorable drive. 

ilpt4u

I've only really been on I-80, I-35, and IA 27/Avenue of the Saints in Iowa

But of my limited drives thru, The AotS is much more interesting than the snoozefests that are I-80 and I-35

skluth's points on the AotS are good too - a little variety still having to traverse a few towns on a mostly otherwise free flowing divided highway, and the traffic level vs I-35 to the west and I-94/I-55 to the east is much more relaxing and enjoyable

triplemultiplex

The view from the bridge over the Iowa River on US 20 is pretty cool.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mrose

DandyDan

The Avenue (everyone who lives here in Mason City just calls it the Avenue) is a nice 4 lane divided highway, but every time I have gone down to Waterloo (or the one time I had to go to Waverly), there's just as many trucks as I-35. And some of the intersections should have been built as interchanges, including, but not limited to, the US 218 intersection in Floyd.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

rarnold

Iowa DOT is planning an interchange for US 18/218 junction, and it is long overdue. Right of way is scheduled for 2021.

Info here https://iowadot.gov/pim/documents/PUB_ProjectArea_34018095_6-28-19.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.