News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

UPS Mesquite TX to Lenexa KS

Started by edwaleni, April 07, 2020, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

I am tracking a shipment from the Dallas UPS hub (Mesquite) to the Kansas City hub (Lenexa).

Total shipping time from check out to check in was around 10 hours according to UPS Quantum View.

For grins I wanted to see what route is shown as optimized and try to figure which way UPS took.

Mesquite to Lenexa via OKC and Wichita = 549 miles / 7 hours 59 min
Mesquite to Lenexa via Tulsa = 488 miles / 7 hours 48 minutes (US-69/US-75/US-169)
Mesquite to Lenexa via US-69 Only = 482 miles /7 hours 52 minutes (US-69)

Considering required breaks or a crew change along the route, I am going to surmise that UPS used the route via OKC/Wichita.

1 hour break for rest.
1 hour break for crew change

I also found it interesting that the US-69 route is definitely lower miles, but due to its un-optimized construction it put a 1 hour penalty on the route.

bwana39

Quote from: edwaleni on April 07, 2020, 06:09:16 PM
I am tracking a shipment from the Dallas UPS hub (Mesquite) to the Kansas City hub (Lenexa).

Total shipping time from check out to check in was around 10 hours according to UPS Quantum View.

For grins I wanted to see what route is shown as optimized and try to figure which way UPS took.

Mesquite to Lenexa via Tulsa = 488 miles / 7 hours 48 minutes (US-69/US-75/US-169)

Considering required breaks or a crew change along the route, I am going to surmise that UPS used the route via OKC/Wichita.

1 hour break for rest.

I also found it interesting that the US-69 route is definitely lower miles, but due to its un-optimized construction it put a 1 hour penalty on the route.

The check in at Lenexa should not have been until the yard dogs grabbed it. It may have been sitting for an hour or more.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

edwaleni

Quote from: bwana39 on April 07, 2020, 06:38:53 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on April 07, 2020, 06:09:16 PM

1 hour break for rest.

The check in at Lenexa should not have been until the yard dogs grabbed it. It may have been sitting for an hour or more.

I thought about that except my understanding was that hub to hub transport is scanned when the trailer is exiting the sorting facility and then rescanned when the truck pulls into the next sort facility.

The only difference would be if the trailer had to layover a night at an intermediate facility or change its head end.

bwana39

If I am not mistaken, arrival is scanned when the tandems are separated, not when they are dropped.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.