News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate number problems

Started by Mergingtraffic, February 08, 2021, 02:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I've seen state route shield and US route shields and most of the time the numbers "look good." Good font, good size, not too big or too small.  How come with interstate shields, contractors have problems getting the numbers visually correct? I've seen more interstate number screw ups than I'd care to admit.

Numbers are too big and think IMHO

Numbers are too tall and narrowl:

An example of what I think are proper sized numbers:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

CtrlAltDel

Are there any signs out there without the state name that you think have good sized numbers?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SkyPesos

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 08, 2021, 03:17:48 PM
Are there any signs out there without the state name that you think have good sized numbers?
Ohio does them pretty well, specifically some of the more recent installations like this one on I-71. I also like the number size Illinois uses.

Edit: turns out that's a one-off in Ohio. The state oversizes the numbers, like these two examples on I-71 and this one on I-275

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 08, 2021, 04:54:03 PM
Ohio does them pretty well, specifically some of the more recent installations like this one on I-71. I also like the number size Illinois uses.

I like these too. I'd say it's probably the best design. The numbers aren't disproportionally big and there's no small and unnecessary state name.*

* That and my disdain for small control cities are probably my two most unpopular opinions on this forum.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

thspfc

The size of the numbers on that I-276 BGS is the least of its problems. That's a terrible BGS

Scott5114

The reason why enlarged digits look bad on an Interstate shield and not on a US route shield is because digits are centered vertically on the US route shield, while they're below center on the Interstate shield, to make room for the Interstate's red crown. Thus, bigger digits are more likely to run up against the border of an Interstate shield than they are a US shield.

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 08, 2021, 05:44:55 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on February 08, 2021, 04:54:03 PM
I also like the number size Illinois uses.

I like these too. I'd say it's probably the best design. The numbers aren't disproportionally big and there's small and unnecessary state name.*

This is the standard digit size and placement specified by the MUTCD (which is the same as what Illinois uses).

Quote from: thspfc on February 08, 2021, 06:05:26 PM
The size of the numbers on that I-276 BGS is the least of its problems. That's a terrible BGS

It's just a NJ Turnpike BGS. That's their standard design.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Personally I think the big numbers are fine.  The "stateless"  Interstate shields certainly are far cheaper on the second hand market to boot. 

hotdogPi

Tonawanda, NY. Doug Kerr.

alpsroads (also in NY)

Now where's that TX 4di business route that I've been trying to find?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2021, 06:13:43 PM

The Block Heads from Gumby got to that one. 

SkyPesos

I don't know when Missouri switched to neutered interstate shields, but I saw a couple of them on I-64 and I-70 last time I was in St. Louis. Here's a GSV screenshot of one on an interchange with I-70; imo the sizing and centering of the numbers is perfect, even better than the I-71 one I posted earlier. Reminds me of the ones on the Wikimedia interstate shields page, which is what is the best looking to me (think that's the MUTCD standard).

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2021, 06:18:56 PM

But the number looks perfectly fine, at least to me.  You might be able to convince me that it should be centered vertically in the blue field, but I personally like the consistent margin around three of its four sides.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2021, 06:39:22 PM
But the number looks perfectly fine, at least to me.

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2021, 06:39:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2021, 06:18:56 PM

But the number looks perfectly fine, at least to me.  You might be able to convince me that it should be centered vertically in the blue field, but I personally like the consistent margin around three of its four sides.

Was the contractor from Maryland, by chance?

vdeane

This sign is what interstate shields are supposed to look like:

alpsroads (also in NY)
Meanwhile, in Rhode Island...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SkyPesos

Quote from: vdeane on February 08, 2021, 08:32:59 PM
Meanwhile, in Rhode Island...

First time seeing a temporary detour sign do the signage better than the permanent ones... I found these interstate signage detour signs in Columbus, and they were hideous.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 08, 2021, 02:41:50 PM
I've seen state route shield and US route shields and most of the time the numbers "look good." Good font, good size, not too big or too small.  How come with interstate shields, contractors have problems getting the numbers visually correct? I've seen more interstate number screw ups than I'd care to admit.

If any of those examples bother you, never ever, under any circumstances, ever spend a minute in Oklahoma.

This isn't bad.  It's just minimalism.  Although, the empty space above the number feels arbitrary, and the arrow plaque should have a matching white border.

alpsroads (also in NY)

This belongs in a museum in Oklahoma, in the same exhibit as the old Craig County sign.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

paulthemapguy

This side-by-side comparison of mid-sized/oversized always amused me. This sits in Monee, IL

IL-I-57X335EWA by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Ned Weasel

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 08, 2021, 09:12:46 PM
This side-by-side comparison of mid-sized/oversized always amused me. This sits in Monee, IL

I've driven by that several times without noticing the difference in the numerals.  I guess I should stop saying I'm "detail-oriented."

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 08, 2021, 09:12:46 PM

IL-I-57X335EWA by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I know I tend to complain about IDOT an awful lot, but I won't lie... their Interstate shields look decent.

...at least the smaller size ones do. Something about this example doesn't sit quite right with me.

https://goo.gl/maps/aVWNKpPCGTYNbnA28

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Big John

^^ I am wondering why 1 pole is yellow and the other is gray.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Big John on February 08, 2021, 10:00:11 PM

Also one follows the MUTCD by making the first letter of the cardinal direction larger, and the other doesn't.

I'd guess one of them is a replacement.  Maybe the one closer to the curb got hit by a truck.  You can see the curb being eaten up by trailers running over it just a few feet past the sign assembly.  And if you're familiar with the location, you'll know there are two major-brand truck stops right there.

JoePCool14

Quote from: stridentweasel on February 09, 2021, 06:37:29 AM
Quote from: Big John on February 08, 2021, 10:00:11 PM

Also one follows the MUTCD by making the first letter of the cardinal direction larger, and the other doesn't.

I'd guess one of them is a replacement.  Maybe the one closer to the curb got hit by a truck.  You can see the curb being eaten up by trailers running over it just a few feet past the sign assembly.  And if you're familiar with the location, you'll know there are two major-brand truck stops right there.

Both of those issues are IDOT staples. IDOT loves using yellow posts for some reason, and they also have no interest in capitalizing the first letter of cardinal directions on banners. The original signs were almost certainly contractor installs, while the sign on the left is standard IDOT fare.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

The 90 is 100% to federal spec, so you're right on there. To meet federal spec, the 390 shield would have to have Series C for the digits and E for the "INTERSTATE".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PurdueBill

Mergingtraffic

That was just coincidence, although I do think the 678 looks ok here

I even think the numbers here are too big

[/quote]

I agree the I-90 looks great and even though the I-195 signs are horrible I actually think visually it looks pretty good.

I love state-named shields but I think it throws off the visuals and the centering of the signs.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.