News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NASCAR

Started by kenarmy, February 12, 2021, 10:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Really I'm liking this dirt race a lot more than I thought.  The wrecks kind of seem to be collecting a large amount of cars, but I could just be imaging that. 

Billy F 1988

Quote from: SP Cook on March 28, 2021, 10:29:53 AM
Quote from: kenarmy on March 27, 2021, 02:24:02 PM
um what else are they supposed to do?

Simple.  Look at what worked.  Resume doing it.  Fire those who advocating change.

In NASCAR's case.

- Resume racing back to the caution.
- End spotter dependency.
- Have cars that bear at least some relationship to stock.
- End the idiotic chase/playoffs.  Who WINS THE RACE, every week, must be the CENTER of the discussion.
- Without saying anyone is unwelcome, embrace and celebrate the culture from which the sport was born.
- Allow drivers to show some personality.

In other words, NASCAR c. 1980-2005 or so.

This brings me to a time in school when we were asked what we wanted to be when we grow up. My response at the time was race car driver. No one ever thought of it nor acknowledged it as a real thing to do back then. They thought it was a hooligan's way to spend the weekend. While my liking of NASCAR began with the 1998 Daytona 500, it peaked in 2005-2006, really that last thread of what really was good NASCAR racing. If I really got into it, I'd probably be in Cup by now, but I certainly would not be anywhere near Dale Jr. or even Kyle Busch levels. But, alas, it's not to be. The NASCAR we have now is a shitshow circus I have so long forgotten since 2011. And you can thank the wretched puke that is Brainless Brian France for the downfall of what was a great motorsport. Emphasis on WHAT WAS A GREAT MOTORSPORT. So, I don't expect NASCAR to live another two to three years perhaps, maybe far shorter than that. Sorry I have to break this out to y'all, but if you really believe the wretched dog shat NASCAR shoves out on a weekly basis, it's about time for a reality check and realize NASCAR has lost its way with its fandom. Its endorsers, sponsors, broadcasters, supporters and fans have been brushed aside. All the races you see on TV now is strictly a TV stunt. There isn't anything real about NASCAR. It looks like a brand new motor going to Hades in a handbasket instead of one that's been well oiled and taken care of. You might say "What does that mean, Billy F?" Well, that analogy means NASCAR is about the shareholders and not the people that built the sport. Hence, the shareholders are the motors going to Hades in a handbasket, and the people who made NASCAR what it truly was supposed to be are the well oiled motors meant to last.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on March 29, 2021, 08:31:20 PM

Simple.  Look at what worked.  Resume doing it.  Fire those who advocating change.

In NASCAR's case.

- End the idiotic chase/playoffs.  Who WINS THE RACE, every week, must be the CENTER of the discussion.
- Without saying anyone is unwelcome, embrace and celebrate the culture from which the sport was born.

This brings me to a time in school when we were asked what we wanted to be when we grow up. My response at the time was race car driver. No one ever thought of it nor acknowledged it as a real thing to do back then. They thought it was a hooligan's way to spend the weekend. While my liking of NASCAR began with the 1998 Daytona 500, it peaked in 2005-2006, really that last thread of what really was good NASCAR racing. If I really got into it, I'd probably be in Cup by now, but I certainly would not be anywhere near Dale Jr. or even Kyle Busch levels. But, alas, it's not to be. The NASCAR we have now is a shitshow circus I have so long forgotten since 2011. And you can thank the wretched puke that is Brainless Brian France for the downfall of what was a great motorsport. Emphasis on WHAT WAS A GREAT MOTORSPORT. So, I don't expect NASCAR to live another two to three years perhaps, maybe far shorter than that. Sorry I have to break this out to y'all, but if you really believe the wretched dog shat NASCAR shoves out on a weekly basis, it's about time for a reality check and realize NASCAR has lost its way with its fandom. Its endorsers, sponsors, broadcasters, supporters and fans have been brushed aside. All the races you see on TV now is strictly a TV stunt. There isn't anything real about NASCAR. It looks like a brand new motor going to Hades in a handbasket instead of one that's been well oiled and taken care of. You might say "What does that mean, Billy F?" Well, that analogy means NASCAR is about the shareholders and not the people that built the sport. Hence, the shareholders are the motors going to Hades in a handbasket, and the people who made NASCAR what it truly was supposed to be are the well oiled motors meant to last.

Two/three years, you got some sort of basis on NASCAR's financials to that back that up?

And I actually liked today's race.  One of the things I wanted even back in the 1980s and 1990s was something different than the standard ovals.  I went to a lot of small time dirt tracks on weekends with my Dad, those were always enjoyable.  Most of the drivers back then actually came up on short tracks and even dirt ovals, so why not include them in the major stock car series?  I think past tense I had more short tracks and road courses in mind, but what I watched today is also acceptable. 

I wanted to be a race car driver too as a kid.  Trouble was even in middle school I knew that wasn't realistic given that I didn't have any talent and more so parents with finances to back up ambitions to be sustainable in racing.  One of the biggest problems trying to get into racing is how over the top expensive it can be. 

SP Cook

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 29, 2021, 08:43:22 PM

Two/three years, you got some sort of basis on NASCAR's financials to that back that up?

Well, yeah.  NASCAR's TV deal, which sports business commentators at the time said might be a bit of an over-bid, expires after the 24 season.  Fox and NBC over-bid because they were counting on growth. 

Since then NASCAR tracks have TORN DOWN grandstands representing 10s of 1000s of seats.  Since then the average TV rating has collapsed by upwards of 60% and, most importantly, shows no sign of leveling off, with new lows reached virtually every week.

In 25, it is entirely possible that NASCAR will be making maybe a quarter to a fifth of what it does now on TV.  There is even an outside shot that the networks all simply walk away.   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SP Cook on March 30, 2021, 10:05:42 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 29, 2021, 08:43:22 PM

Well, yeah.  NASCAR's TV deal, which sports business commentators at the time said might be a bit of an over-bid, expires after the 24 season.  Fox and NBC over-bid because they were counting on growth. 

Since then NASCAR tracks have TORN DOWN grandstands representing 10s of 1000s of seats.  Since then the average TV rating has collapsed by upwards of 60% and, most importantly, shows no sign of leveling off, with new lows reached virtually every week.

In 25, it is entirely possible that NASCAR will be making maybe a quarter to a fifth of what it does now on TV.  There is even an outside shot that the networks all simply walk away.

That still doesn't mean they are going out of business.  Most of NASCAR's divisions don't even get featured on TV.  It sounds a lot like what happened to the NHL years ago when they had most of their broadcast rights not renewed.  That ain't good, but NASCAR could get creative with streaming or better yet try to negotiate something in line with reality.

kenarmy

I think an exclusive streaming app would definitely help NASCAR out, it's only a matter of time.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kenarmy on March 30, 2021, 10:30:46 AM
I think an exclusive streaming app would definitely help NASCAR out, it's only a matter of time.

It would be a huge help for me.  I'm not always in position to watch network TV on weekends like I was in the past. 

tradephoric

Lately the winner of the Daytona 500 has been decided based on how trigger happy NASCAR has been to bring out the caution.  In the 2020 Daytona 500 had the caution come out a split second earlier Ryan Blaney would have won instead of Denny Hamlin and in the 2021 Daytona 500 had the caution come out a split second later Chase Elliott would have won and not Matt DiBenedetto. There is also a delay from when the NASCAR official pushes the button in the tower to bring out the caution and when the caution lights are actually displayed on the track (possibly a few seconds delay).  It just feels like this shouldn't be the way to decide the winner of the biggest race of the year.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on March 29, 2021, 06:17:16 PM

In NASCAR's case.

I'm not a watcher, but I agree with #1, #3, #4, #4, #4, #4, and somewhat #6 (depends on what they're gonna say when unmuzzled).

Thou shalt not criticize the sanctioning body.

I forget the precise issue, but several years ago when he was still driving, Tony Stewart criticized NASCAR over some rule and they fined him. Now, Tony was a throwback and he said what was on his mind the way Earnhardt, DW, Rusty, and a lot of others used to. But where Big Bill France would listen to what those drivers were saying, times had changed and Smoke got a huge fine. A group of drivers pitched in to pay that fine because they agreed with what Stewart had said.

But beyond that, at one time the new leadership saw that NASCAR had gotten a little bland so they said, and I quote, "Boys, have at it." Right now, I don't know how many really truly heated rivalries there are between the drivers. I know there's bad blood between Logano and some of the others, but you don't really hear a lot of trash talking the way you used to when "Jaws" ranked his provocative remarks toward one particular driver as to how they'd register on the "Cale Scale."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

maybe I do complain sometimes..
but NASCAR fans confuse me. Some will bark at the (chase) playoff system, but got upset when Kenseth won in 03, and don't realize that it's in favor of their favorite driver. Some people don't want -change-, but get upset when NASCAR resurrects traditional things *cough*. Some people say they will stop watching, yet they always bring up that viewership is declining. Even the king had to mention that NASCAR was frowned upon for dirt racing back then. Misery will always find its company : )

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on March 30, 2021, 09:49:01 PM
there's bad blood between Logano and some all of the others
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tradephoric

Anyone getting excited for Talladega?  That will always be my favorite track largely due to the fact i was always a huge Earnhardt fan and the man just dominated there.

kenarmy

Talladega is always the race I look forward to the most. Idk who to root for though since my fave retired recently  :-P.

TonyTrafficLight

I always look forward to the Dega races. I have a strict "dont bother me" policy. Nothing on the calendar and spend the afternoon watching the entire race and the Xfinity & Truck races along with the ARCA wreck fest races there too. Its on my bucket list to go there someday.
I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

I-55

Quote from: TonyTrafficLight on April 09, 2021, 09:13:45 AM
I always look forward to the Dega races. I have a strict "dont bother me" policy. Nothing on the calendar and spend the afternoon watching the entire race and the Xfinity & Truck races along with the ARCA wreck fest races there too. Its on my bucket list to go there someday.

I've driven as close as AL-77 in Lincoln. I hope they do more tornado fundraiser events like the one earlier this month where you could drive two laps behind a pace car for a 50 dollar donation.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

NWI_Irish96

The Daytona 500 is the only superspeedway event I watch start to finish. The other Daytona race and the Talladega races are ones that I tune into for the last 30 laps where the 24th place car still has enough time to get up to 1st, drop back to 24th, and get back to the front and win.

kenarmy

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nascar/news/nascar-at-talladega-live-updates-results-highlights/54xss0qdjj4h1rihajlbp6u28

1. I was disappointed Brad won, but at least it wasn't Joey
2. Speaking of, I was bracing to hear Joey cuss or disrespect Denny Hamlin when he caused him to wreck out early.
3. I thought Bubba Wallace was going to get top 10 : (
4. Ok and I kinda wanted a bigger wreck to happen..

epzik8

Quote from: kenarmy on April 26, 2021, 10:02:16 PM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nascar/news/nascar-at-talladega-live-updates-results-highlights/54xss0qdjj4h1rihajlbp6u28

1. I was disappointed Brad won, but at least it wasn't Joey
2. Speaking of, I was bracing to hear Joey cuss or disrespect Denny Hamlin when he caused him to wreck out early.
3. I thought Bubba Wallace was going to get top 10 : (
4. Ok and I kinda wanted a bigger wreck to happen..
Joey said in his interview on TV that he didn't blame Denny, Ricky or anyone else around him; he was just upset that he could have been seriously injured like Ryan Newman last year and cited NASCAR's current superspeedway package.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

74/171FAN

https://www.jayski.com/2021/05/02/sad-news-eric-mcclure/

I am not sure why I feel more impacted by the death of Eric McClure than most other deaths considering that he was a backmarker, but his unexpected passing does show that we can pass away at any time. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Very shady move by NASCAR yesterday. In the middle of a cycle of green flag pit stops, a tire got loose and rolled out to the grass area between pit road and the front stretch. They waited well over a dozen laps for the late-pitting leader to finally pit, so that nobody got caught a lap down.

That tire was either a safety hazard or it wasn't, it didn't become one 10 minutes later. A caution in the middle of a cycle of pit stops is part of the risk/reward of the sport.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 02, 2021, 01:12:28 PM

I am not sure why I feel more impacted by the death of Eric McClure than most other deaths considering that he was a backmarker, but his unexpected passing does show that we can pass away at any time.

HE was a cool dude.  Got to meet him a few times at the Bristol Street Fair.  He also remembered seeing me at the #4 MMM shop as well.

Also took this video of him @ the Bristol Street Fair when I was a mod at the early FRM forum before it became a bigger team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rrv4GOa9eE

74/171FAN

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2021, 08:27:22 AM
Very shady move by NASCAR yesterday. In the middle of a cycle of green flag pit stops, a tire got loose and rolled out to the grass area between pit road and the front stretch. They waited well over a dozen laps for the late-pitting leader to finally pit, so that nobody got caught a lap down.

That tire was either a safety hazard or it wasn't, it didn't become one 10 minutes later. A caution in the middle of a cycle of pit stops is part of the risk/reward of the sport.

My thought on this was that NASCAR usually waits until green flag pit stops are completed to not mess up the running order (except for that time when the pit crew member for Marcos Ambrose ran after the tire on the other side of pit road which of course immediately brought out the caution).  Of course, we all know the only thing consistent about NASCAR is how inconsistent they are.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Summary of today's race at Circuit of the Americas:

Lap 25:  It is too unsafe to race.  The race should be red flagged.

Lap 55:  NASCAR gives Chase Elliott a gift win though it was just as unsafe to race as it was on Lap 25.

NASCAR can never win even when they seem to be right.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 02, 2021, 01:12:28 PM

Every time I watched the highlight of the Xfinity race at Talladega of the Big One toward the end stages, I cringed every time seeing McClure's car fly nearly headlong into the SAFER barrier. Many times when I hear Allen Bestwick call out "Oh, what a vicious crash!" and he calls attention to McClure, I instantly clinched my fist and face because I just knew that was a nasty wreck. I think the end results from that wreck may have triggered life-threatening symptoms that led up to his passing. So sad.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 23, 2021, 06:44:17 PM
Summary of today's race at Circuit of the Americas:

Lap 25:  It is too unsafe to race.  The race should be red flagged.

Lap 55:  NASCAR gives Chase Elliott a gift win though it was just as unsafe to race as it was on Lap 25.

NASCAR can never win even when they seem to be right.

I was watching a 50 year old win a golf major, so I missed this race, but this was my understanding from what I was reading: NASCAR really wanted to wait until Chase pitted to call the race to make it fair, but he forced their hand by staying out as long as he possibly could and the conditions just got more and more dangerous, so they had no choice. Smart move on his part. His teammate was going to be the winner anyway so it doesn't really matter that much.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.