News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities where many of the street signs lack suffixes

Started by KCRoadFan, March 16, 2021, 07:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

Prior to 1992, my hometown's street signs were brown painted wood, with the street name added with what appeared to simple stickers, very easy to read.  All of them were just the name of the street, no suffix.  This lead to a lot of confusion, as street I grew up on was considered and Avenue by half the residents, and a Street by the other half.  To make matters worse, when they replaced them with much smaller blue signs, they added suffixes to the street names, and confusion was everywhere.  My street became a Street (although by now, everyone says Avenue), some became drives, we added a Road (which is not a common suffix in cities in our area), and one became a Loop.  There have been a few changes since then, but I'm convinced that there were no suffixes before the change, and someone just rolled dice to decide what suffix should go on the new metal blades.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadman65

Osceola County, FL does it on many overhead signal signs at intersections. US 192 is Vine or Bronson on some assemblies at stop lights.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

Just took a look at Cleveland on GSV for the Opportunity Corridor thread, seems like the Avenues, Roads, Drives, etc there lack suffixes, but the Streets have them.

roadfro

The municipalities in the Las Vegas valley use suffixes on all standard street name signs. But for overhead street name signs at signalized intersections, many of the jurisdictions went through a phase where street suffixes were left off of these signs–this was part of the "all caps" period of street name signs.

• Original style, used up until the mid-1990's: Street name and suffix in mixed case and all same size (increasingly rare to find examples of these in the Vegas area, but examples abound elsewhere in Nevada).
  • All-Caps style, used circa early/mid-1990's through circa 2010: Street name in all caps, no suffix. Note the separate placard to denote direction and block number.
  • Emulating post-mounted signs, started appearing circa 2010: Signs include direction, suffix, and block number. Early versions, such as this example, often had the street name in all-caps but later versions would be mixed case. Several examples, such as this one, did not remove the separate placard with block info even though this info was now included on the main sign.
  • Current style, circa 2015: Same as previous style, but now the street name is mixed case and oversized–looks good except where horizontally compressed for longer names. This style really started proliferating with switch to back-lit LED signs (which are often a bit larger), but has been used in signs retrofitted into older lighted street name housings.
North Las Vegas, which doesn't use back-lit street name signs, has largely stuck with the All-Caps era design, such as this example. Sometimes the suffix is included with all-caps same size as the street name (most consistently along Las Vegas Blvd, but also frequently on lesser-known streets)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ztonyg

Phoenix, AZ leaves off suffixes on traffic signals at major intersections.

The only exception is the N/S numbered streets as there is a 7th Ave and a 7th Street (1 mile apart) and Ave means west of Central and Street means east of Central.

Here is how Phoenix signs them:

https://goo.gl/maps/6hZzG7BNXRE6y9C4A

https://goo.gl/maps/8pUQD85VdYrHzFA97

https://goo.gl/maps/SngDd8i7aVGWRmKs8

US 89

Salt Lake City leaves off street suffixes at the vast majority of its signalized intersections - here are a few examples.

This is not really all that well known for a number of reasons. Most obvious is that Salt Lake doesn't actually have very many suffixed streets with traffic lights, since the coordinate-named streets (stuff like "400 South") are officially unsuffixed. The other main reason is that UDOT - which leaves suffixes on in almost all cases - is generally in charge of signs at every signalized intersection that happens to be on a state highway. That means a lot of the major streets that actually do have names (such as State, Foothill, and Redwood) get suffixed UDOT-spec signs at their signals.

It should be noted, though, that even UDOT abandons this policy with the various Temple streets in downtown Salt Lake. All three do carry an official "St." suffix, but it is almost never signed, nor is it ever used in conversation.

Elsewhere in the Wasatch Front, suffixes are the norm but you might see a handful of signs without them. There are certain areas where this is more common (Murray and certain parts of east Layton come to mind), but interestingly this is often specific to the street itself. Winchester and Van Winkle are good examples of that pattern - they are signed without their "St" or "Expwy" suffixes in most cases, even on UDOT signs.

index

Downtown Columbia, SC leaves off suffixes a lot on their overhead street blades at intersections.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.