News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How often do you mail anything?

Started by OCGuy81, March 18, 2021, 06:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Kind of on the same thread as who still writes checks, how often do you find yourself buying stamps or mailing anything?

I think a book of stamps can last us the better part of a year. All of the bills are electronic and are paid the same way. Both my wife and I have our salaries direct deposited. I honestly check our mailbox maybe twice a week, and generally it's stuff my wife has ordered online.

Really the only time we go through a lot of stamps is Christmas cards we send.

JoePCool14

I personally do not mail anything, but my parents like to send me cards and sometimes something small in the mail while I'm at college. Obviously it's more of a fun novelty than a necessity, but at least we use it for something.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Basically just when I send out those checks I mentioned in the other thread.  I get a lot of parcels delivered to me though the USPS because of sign collecting though.

kphoger

My wife mails stuff all the time.  She has a direct sales job, so she's always sending things out to customers.  Heck, a lot of the time we put a basket outside to contain all the stuff we're sending out.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Not as often as I'd like: I have a business too, so I mail something every time I make a sale.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

See my post in the check-writing thread. Most all of those checks get mailed. Plus, I sometimes answer or initiate correspondence via paper. Challenging or disputing a charge on a credit card requires either a phone call or a letter, and I much prefer writing a letter to making a phone call and doing the customer service dance with someone who speaks English as a second or third language.

My wife sells on eBay and Poshmark, so we mail quite a bit of stuff that she sells.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

Between my business and personal? 4 days a week.

oscar

Usually, I mail something about once a month. Holiday cards are an exception, at the end of the year. The other big exception is a club newsletter that is snail-mailed once every three months, and e-mailed the rest of the year. The snail-mail issues are largely a concession to older members who don't do e-mail. I try to get interesting stamps for those, rather than just the standard-issue forever stamps.

For a time, I had a supply of the Postal Service 34¢ stamps featuring carnivorous plants, like the Venus Flytrap. I used those to mail my tax returns.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Just for occasions.  Going to send my kids Easter candy soon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

About 2-4 times a moth to mail the couple checks I still use.

DandyDan

I send out birthday cards and holiday cards, but other than that, not often. The medical bills I have to write a check for are basically it.

Currently, I still have my Santa Claus stamps I got at Christmas. I wonder if the people at the other end of my mail think I'm weird for using Santa stamps now.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 18, 2021, 07:16:32 PM
I get a lot of parcels delivered to me though the USPS because of sign collecting though.
The only valid use for the USPS. :-D

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SP Cook

Even though she is an adult, I still send my daughter "no occasion" cards about once every three or so weeks, a practice I started when she started college. 

I don't do Christmas cards.  Nothing against Jesus, it is just that I don't get real personal Christmas cards, just mass mailed ones from politicians and some businesses, so I don't have any to return. 

I have to pay tax quarterlies, which the state requires a paper check, and the county property tax, so that is 5 more a year. 

That is it.  Everything can be done on line today. 

OCGuy81

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 19, 2021, 09:12:19 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 18, 2021, 07:16:32 PM
I get a lot of parcels delivered to me though the USPS because of sign collecting though.
The only valid use for the USPS. :-D

Amazon has kept them afloat for at least a decade now.

JayhawkCO

Basically twice a year.

1) When I have to do my fantasy football payouts and a couple of my friends are too lazy to get Venmo.
2) Christmas for anything I didn't buy on another website (Amazon, etc.)

All bills are e-pay.

Chris

LM117

Unfortunately, I still have to send a money order once a month to pay a bill, which wasn't an issue until recent months when DeJoy ratfucked the USPS. Since then, very little has been delivered on time and the person I send the money orders to has been bitching for the same reason. Hell, my aunt & uncle mailed out a Christmas card from Michigan in mid-December and it didn't show up in my mailbox until late February. Up until last year, it only took 4-6 days for their cards to get here.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

Quote from: LM117 on March 24, 2021, 12:23:37 PM
Unfortunately, I still have to send a money order once a month to pay a bill, which wasn't an issue until recent months when DeJoy ratfucked the USPS. Since then, very little has been delivered on time and the person I send the money orders to has been bitching for the same reason. Hell, my aunt & uncle mailed out a Christmas card from Michigan in mid-December and it didn't show up in my mailbox until late February. Up until last year, it only took 4-6 days for their cards to get here.

We have that issue with our rent check occasionally.  Our landlords live in Utah, so we can't exactly run it up to them anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bm7

I can't recall having mailed anything since when I sent in my voter registration form, which was in 2016.

Bruce

Outbound mail: Once or twice a month for random paperwork or stuff that I can't take care of online.

Inbound mail: Tons.

GaryV

Mailed our taxes, because I have a weird HSA funding from an early retirement settlement that doesn't let me e-file.

Roadgeekteen

Never, but I get college stuff in the mail.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

An average of twice a month; someone's always having a birthday. We still send / exchange some photographs of our kids to some family members twice a year, though we haven't had "professional photos" in over two years (my amateur shots seem to be good enough).

doorknob60

If I'm not counting stuff like Amazon returns or the occasional selling of something on eBay, legitimately not more than 2-4 times a year. I just got a bill from my dentist, and mailing that back to pay it will be the first time I've sent something in the mail all year. And I could accomplish the same by calling them, but if online pay isn't an option, I guess mailing it is the lesser of two evils. I don't even buy full books of stamps (I buy like 5 at a time), because I'll lose them before I manage to use them all.

NWI_Irish96

As a Federal employee, one of the health care plan options I have is the Letter Carriers plan, even though I'm not USPS. To opt in to the plan, I have to pay annual dues to their association. The dues can only be paid by a check mailed via USPS.

Aside from that, there are usually one or two other times a year that I need to mail paper documents somewhere, but it's getting more and more rare.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.