News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on May 02, 2021, 06:24:18 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 02, 2021, 10:49:26 AM
Quote from: kenarmy on May 02, 2021, 10:14:33 AM
- Somebody PLS tell me what's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear "Mississippi"?

35% black, 65% racist.

35 percent Black, 65 percent Racist....are you suggesting  non-Blacks are racist? I strongly disagree.

It depends on where you are. Mississippi and Alabama seem to be the worst.

Also, "first thing you think of". There are always going to be exceptions, as well as a small percentage who are Hispanic, Asian, or something else entirely.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 02, 2021, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 02, 2021, 10:44:38 AM
- Somebody PLS tell me what's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear "Mississippi"?
the river
Poverty

Depends on the context. Sometimes the river, sometimes poverty - and not just poverty in the financial sense, but also with regards to general health and wellness.

US71

Quote from: 1 on May 02, 2021, 06:32:56 PM

35% black, 65% racist.

35 percent Black, 65 percent Racist....are you suggesting  non-Blacks are racist? I strongly disagree.

It depends on where you are. Mississippi and Alabama seem to be the worst.

Also, "first thing you think of". There are always going to be exceptions, as well as a small percentage who are Hispanic, Asian, or something else entirely.

It's not the first thing I think of. I have friends in those places. I also do shows in those areas.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kurumi

A random thought of another topic: The Star Wars bad guys calling themselves "the Dark Side" is not believable. In their eyes, they're the good guys.

They'd call themselves the Peace and Freedom Side for Prosperity and Growth.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Quote from: kurumi on May 02, 2021, 10:31:16 PM
A random thought of another topic: The Star Wars bad guys calling themselves "the Dark Side" is not believable. In their eyes, they're the good guys.

There was a faction at my old job that referred to me and my friends as "the Dark Side" because they had decided we were their enemies or something. We willingly accepted the label because we thought it was hilarious how overdramatic they were being about it. In return, we started calling them "The Alliance" (one of our number was a big Firefly fan).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Back when soccer referees wore only black, we referred to ourselves as the Dark Side.

formulanone

They never called themselves that, only Vader suggested to Luke that he should (making it a personal decision and not a personnel decision).

Also, dualistic symbolism yada yoda yada.

jmacswimmer

Well, there was that one time during the Mustafar duel when Anakin pointed out that the Jedi were evil from "[his] point of view"  :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

All the double letters.

Then I try to remember which one is which on the map:  Alabama and Mississippi.  I have a hard time keeping them straight in my mind.

Then I think of the beautiful license plates they've had over the years.

Then I think of a guy I know from Brandon, MS.

Honestly, race issues and poverty don't even come to mind.

- Walking to the mailbox is intimidating. Like what am I supposed to look at, and what do I do with my arms??

Huh???  What the heck?  You look wherever you want (forward, presumably), and you do with your arms whatever you do when you walk anywhere else (swing them in stride, presumably).  How is this intimidating?

- The goal of every relationship is for your partner to become your ex. Even if y'all get married. Think about it.

I'm thinking about it, and I don't get it.  Unless you think that being a "widow" and being an "ex" are the same thing...  (They're not.)

35% black, 65% racist.

And also that black people can't be racist.  Which I also strongly disagree with.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2021, 02:26:10 PM

All the double letters.

Then I try to remember which one is which on the map:  Alabama and Mississippi.  I have a hard time keeping them straight in my mind.

- Walking to the mailbox is intimidating. Like what am I supposed to look at, and what do I do with my arms??

Huh???  What the heck?  You look wherever you want (forward, presumably), and you do with your arms whatever you do when you walk anywhere else (swing them in stride, presumably).  How is this intimidating?

- The goal of every relationship is for your partner to become your ex. Even if y'all get married. Think about it.

I'm thinking about it, and I don't get it.  Unless you think that being a "widow" and being an "ex" are the same thing...  (They're not.)

35% black, 65% racist.

And also that black people can't be racist.  Which I also strongly disagree with.
Same here and not getting into politics but we have a former First Lady that seems to be very racist.

kevinb1994

- What would happen to a dead body inside of a hearse if it got towed?
- Can people actually tell the difference between an Australian and British accent?
- Speaking of, I wish it was aeroplane instead of airplane here.
- ALSO, I never really thought about it that people either learn British or American English..
- You don't read out loud 90% of the words you see in a lifetime.
- I made that up, but who knows? ^
- I wish backwards running was a school sport.
- JG Wentworth has been real quiet lately ..
- If you don't like Bootylicious, clean your ears out and relisten!
Googlicious, so delicious ;)

Scott5114

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 03, 2021, 04:10:12 PM

what does this mean and why did you post it
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kevinb1994

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 04:43:41 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 03, 2021, 04:10:12 PM

what does this mean and why did you post it
It's a tech spoof of the aforementioned song. CNET for ya.

kenarmy

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2021, 02:26:10 PM

All the double letters.

35% black, 65% racist.

- Ok but still I'm just walking in the open with nobody else around, and everybody could just be watching me from their windows.

- Because, if you marry them, they become your ex- boy/girlfriend. And you can't be a widow without them being your ex, because y'all were married.

- why "strongly"? Even if we couldn't, colorism is something that everyone forgets  :coffee:. kbyeimnottryingtogetthethreadlocked.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

tolbs17

And Greenville, North Carolina is pretty much equally white and black.

kenarmy

- I hate when p0rn has music.. I'm trying to bust an *oof* not a dance move.
- Forget being held at gunpoint.. Have you ever fell and everyone started laughing, and then you fell again??
- You value a screen more than billions of people.
- The chances of you existing are so slim.
- It's so tacky that you have to do marching band in order to do concert band, unless you have asthma or sum. I signed up to play an instrument, not to move my hips in front of all these people  :rolleyes:..
- Someone is praying to be in your position.
- You rarely hear your username being read out loud. Well, most of you.
- So um is jeffandnicole a couple??
- Your mum telling you to come outside and get the groceries is the definition of bittersweet.
- You're an ancestor to a lot of strangers that will probably never know you existed.
- When you try to remember a past event, you try to remember remembering it, not the actual event.
- Afro Puffs by The Lady of Rage is the greatest rap song of all time. And if you haven't heard it already, curse you.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: kenarmy on May 03, 2021, 10:13:28 PM
- Ok but still I'm just walking in the open with nobody else around, and everybody could just be watching me from their windows.

- Because, if you marry them, they become your ex- boy/girlfriend. And you can't be a widow without them being your ex, because y'all were married.

- why "strongly"? Even if we couldn't, colorism is something that everyone forgets  :coffee:. kbyeimnottryingtogetthethreadlocked.

–  Is going to the mailbox seriously the only time you walk out in the open while people might be able to see you?  What about just walking around the block?  Across a parking lot?  I don't get it.

–  My wife is not my ex-girlfriend.  She is still my girlfriend.  I actually have a funny story about that...  Also, ask a widower about his ex-wife and see the sort of respect you get from him;  they are not the same thing.

–  I strongly disagree because I've witnessed racism in action by black people, and because I've had discussions with black people about that very racism.  Besides which, or rather more importantly:  claiming that a person cannot have a bias merely because of the color of his or her skin is racist.

Funny story time.  I know a guy from Brandon, MS (hey, I just mentioned him, didn't I?), who has a very memorable personality and is known around town as a strong Christian man;  we've worked with him in missions down in Mexico a few times.  He is happily married and has been for many years.  One time, he had to go to the hospital and be put under anesthesia.  As it was wearing off, the nurses were asking him questions to check how well the fog was lifting from his mind.  Well, he was perfectly lucid, but he decided to have some fun with the nurses anyway.  They asked him if anyone would be picking him up from the hospital, and he replied, Yes, my girlfriend is picking me up.  Well, they got all embarrassed, because they thought the medicine was making him let slip a secret affair he'd been having.  They asked him a couple of times more, and he kept replying that his girlfriend would be picking him up from the hospital.  Finally, it was time to be released from the hospital, at which time he met up with his wife and then told all the nurses, I'd like to introduce you to my girlfriend.  She is my girlfriend, my lover, and my wife.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 10:48:21 AM

–  Is going to the mailbox seriously the only time you walk out in the open while people might be able to see you?  What about just walking around the block?  Across a parking lot?  I don't get it.

–  My wife is not my ex-girlfriend.  She is still my girlfriend.  I actually have a funny story about that...  Also, ask a widower about his ex-wife and see the sort of respect you get from him;  they are not the same thing.

–  I strongly disagree because I've witnessed racism in action by black people, and because I've had discussions with black people about that very racism.  Besides which, or rather more importantly:  claiming that a person cannot have a bias merely because of the color of his or her skin is racist.

Funny story time.  I know a guy from Brandon, MS (hey, I just mentioned him, didn't I?), who has a very memorable personality and is known around town as a strong Christian man;  we've worked with him in missions down in Mexico a few times.  He is happily married and has been for many years.  One time, he had to go to the hospital and be put under anesthesia.  As it was wearing off, the nurses were asking him questions to check how well the fog was lifting from his mind.  Well, he was perfectly lucid, but he decided to have some fun with the nurses anyway.  They asked him if anyone would be picking him up from the hospital, and he replied, Yes, my girlfriend is picking me up.  Well, they got all embarrassed, because they thought the medicine was making him let slip a secret affair he'd been having.  They asked him a couple of times more, and he kept replying that his girlfriend would be picking him up from the hospital.  Finally, it was time to be released from the hospital, at which time he met up with his wife and then told all the nurses, I'd like to introduce you to my girlfriend.  She is my girlfriend, my lover, and my wife.
I find it awkward to call your wife your "girlfriend". Just sounds bizarre.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: kenarmy on May 03, 2021, 10:38:07 PM
- The chances of you existing are so slim.

The chances of me existing are 100%.

- Someone is praying to be in your position.

What, at work?  I highly doubt that.

Walking to the mailbox is intimidating. Like what am I supposed to look at, and what do I do with my arms??

I'm just walking in the open with nobody else around, and everybody could just be watching me from their windows.

I signed up to play an instrument, not to move my hips in front of all these people  :rolleyes:..

Self-conscious much?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 10:51:41 AM
I find it awkward to call your wife your "girlfriend". Just sounds bizarre.

Well, you don't have to call my wife my "girlfriend", then.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 11:13:59 AM
Walking to the mailbox is intimidating. Like what am I supposed to look at, and what do I do with my arms??

I'm just walking in the open with nobody else around, and everybody could just be watching me from their windows.

Self-conscious much?

Sounds like how someone would feel if they were walking around in the nude or something... but there's no reason to feel conspicuous walking to the mailbox in normal everyday attire.

Angelo71

How does a 67 year old date a 20 year old? (Old and a young person dating)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 04, 2021, 08:43:39 PM
How does a 67 year old date a 20 year old? (Old and a young person dating)
Ew

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

The oldest person on earth died with a completely different set of humans on earth than the ones s/he was born with

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.