News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most Non-Scenic Scenic Overlook

Started by Avalanchez71, April 06, 2021, 07:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

So what is the most non-scenic scenic overlook you have come across?  This was inspired over the discussion of whether or not US 56 in KS is scenic or not.

Max Rockatansky

On I-5 north of CA 165 there is an overlook of the California Aqueduct.  I'm sure when it opened the builders were very proud, but it probably is the most dull scenic overlook I've encountered.

SkyPesos

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "scenic outlook" over some cornfields somewhere here in the Midwest, but if there is one, that get's the nomination from me.

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 06, 2021, 11:59:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "scenic outlook" over some cornfields somewhere here in the Midwest, but if there is one, that get's the nomination from me.

There are a few, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're non-scenic.
See my quote below from the "What do you count/not count when clinching" thread:

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2021, 09:47:04 PM
... what immediately came to mind was this "scenic overlook" on I-90 in South Dakota. But not in a bad way, though - in fact, in a great way: When visiting the Badlands a few years ago, we happened to be passing right by that spot just as the sun was coming up, before 5 AM on a July morning. It couldn't have been a more perfect spot to pull in and watch the sunrise. It was one of the most unique and beautiful sunrises I've ever witnessed, in a part of the country I'd never been before, and an atmosphere I'll never forget, with miles and miles of endless prairie and hay bales and grazing bison spread out before us. I decided right then and there never to snub a "scenic overlook" again, and I hope many more first-time visitors to South Dakota get to experience exactly what we did.

1995hoo

The two scenic overlooks on the GW Parkway in Virginia are ones that I think were scenic once upon a time 30+ years ago but are no longer particularly scenic because the trees have grown so much that there isn't really all that much of a view anymore, except perhaps in winter when there are no leaves (I suppose whether the lack of leaves reduces the scenic value is a matter of personal opinion).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

interstatefan990

I-80 through the Great Salt Lake in Utah has this "scenic overlook" at its eastbound rest area:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZfzMNtSaJmP1W2LA6
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 06, 2021, 12:21:44 PM
I-80 through the Great Salt Lake in Utah has this "scenic overlook" at its eastbound rest area:

Isn't that primarily a rest area?

interstatefan990

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 12:22:29 PM

It is. But I find it funny how they chose to build this entire viewing tower when there is literally nothing to see for miles.

jrouse

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 08:20:31 AM
On I-5 north of CA 165 there is an overlook of the California Aqueduct.  I'm sure when it opened the builders were very proud, but it probably is the most dull scenic overlook I've encountered.
There's another one north of there closer to Crows Landing and in my opinion that one is almost just as dull.  There's one southbound closer to CA-140 which isn't bad.  I-5 between I-580 and CA-152 is designated as a state scenic highway.

There was a lot of cooperation between the Department of Water Resources and the old Division of Highways when the California Aqueduct was built.  Some of the spoils from the excavation of the aqueduct were used as fill for the construction of I-5.  The southbound vista point near CA-140 is intended to showcase the aqueduct.  And I am certain that cooperation is also why that vista point near CA-165 at Dos Amigos Pumping Plant also exists.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 06, 2021, 12:18:09 PM
The two scenic overlooks on the GW Parkway in Virginia are ones that I think were scenic once upon a time 30+ years ago but are no longer particularly scenic because the trees have grown so much that there isn't really all that much of a view anymore, except perhaps in winter when there are no leaves (I suppose whether the lack of leaves reduces the scenic value is a matter of personal opinion).

Somewhere I have a photo of an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway that says "Shenandoah Valley scenic overlook"  but it's just trees.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jmacswimmer

I-270 (MD) north has an overlook where the highway drops into the Frederick Valley, but IMHO the view is better from I-270 itself as a lot of the view from the parking lot is blocked by trees.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

wanderer2575

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 06, 2021, 12:27:25 PM

It is. But I find it funny how they chose to build this entire viewing tower when there is literally nothing to see for miles.

Not to mention the tower should be turned 180 degrees.  As built, any view is blocked by the trucks in the parking lot.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 06, 2021, 11:59:37 AM

I can't think of a single place in Indiana that is signed as a scenic outlook or overlook. There is one spot I'm aware of in Floyd County on a county road that would qualify except that there's no place to get out of the car to enjoy the view.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

interstatefan990

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 06, 2021, 01:08:34 PM

Not to mention the tower should be turned 180 degrees.  As built, any view is blocked by the trucks in the parking lot.

Or people could just walk around to the other side of it?

CtrlAltDel

Could you point out where it is. I ask because I'm one of those people who finds vast expanses of plains to be awe-inspiring and not boring, and I'm wondering what I will think about this.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

I could see this being quite interesting if you are not familiar with Utah.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

wanderer2575

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 06, 2021, 01:29:39 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 06, 2021, 01:08:34 PM

Or people could just walk around to the other side of it?

No need to be snarky.  I didn't initially see from the photo angle that the viewing platform wraps around to the ramp side.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 06, 2021, 02:13:06 PM
I could see this being quite interesting if you are not familiar with Utah.

I was thinking that maybe the emptiness is the view. There's so little things to see for such a long distance that it actually goes full circle and becomes interesting instead.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 06, 2021, 02:19:26 PM
No need to be snarky.  I didn't initially see from the photo angle that the viewing platform wraps around to the ramp side.

It's not snarky if you're the one who didn't notice something at first. Not placing any blame, but just saying.

OCGuy81

I-205 has one just north of West Linn, OR, exit 10.

On a clear day, it's pretty, but most of the time all you can see are homeless campers and the ugly abandoned mills by Willamette Falls

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2021, 01:39:40 PM

Could you point out where it is. I ask because I'm one of those people who finds vast expanses of plains to be awe-inspiring and not boring, and I'm wondering what I will think about this.

Pretty much where I described it, north of the CA 165 exit on the northbound lanes of I-5.  As for endless plains you aren't likely to see much given they are usually covered in Tule Fog or summer time crop dust or smoke. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jrouse on April 06, 2021, 12:32:16 PM
There's another one north of there closer to Crows Landing and in my opinion that one is almost just as dull.  There's one southbound closer to CA-140 which isn't bad.  I-5 between I-580 and CA-152 is designated as a state scenic highway.

There was a lot of cooperation between the Department of Water Resources and the old Division of Highways when the California Aqueduct was built.  Some of the spoils from the excavation of the aqueduct were used as fill for the construction of I-5.

The gist I always got was that the State was really proud of those projects (along with the San Luis Reservoir) and wanted to show off the engineering feats they accomplished.  I can see past tense how maybe a half century ago seeing something like a reservoir and aqueduct was probably a lot more impressive than it would be today.  CA 152 kinda/sorta holds up with that Scenic designation but I-5 north to I-580 doesn't.

Of the same era is the overlooks on CA 49 between Oakhurst and Mariposa.  One of them overlooks the East Fork Chowchilla Bridge which really isn't all that exciting given it has a generic modern design.  The overlook is overgrown and there is a plaque that has been long removed which makes me question why it is still maintained as an overlook.  There is another up the road near Bootjack and I'm not ever sure what it is supposed to be an overlook of. 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 03:44:43 PM
On I-5 north of CA 165 there is an overlook of the California Aqueduct.  I’m sure when it opened the builders were very proud, but it probably is the most dull scenic overlook I’ve encountered.

Pretty much where I described it, north of the CA 165 exit on the northbound lanes of I-5.  As for endless plains you aren’t likely to see much given they are usually covered in Tule Fog or summer time crop dust or smoke.

Is it this? I ask because it is a good ways north of 165.

I suppose it could also be this, but it does not look like it's ever been an "official" overlook.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2021, 05:12:02 PM

Pretty much where I described it, north of the CA 165 exit on the northbound lanes of I-5.  As for endless plains you aren't likely to see much given they are usually covered in Tule Fog or summer time crop dust or smoke.

I suppose it could also be this, but it does not look like it's ever been an "official" overlook.

Way closer to CA 165.  Here is a photo I took of the overlook once:

https://flic.kr/p/EotmmQ

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 06:05:15 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2021, 05:12:02 PM

Way closer to CA 165.  Here is a photo I took of the overlook once:

https://flic.kr/p/EotmmQ

It must be here then, which is actually south of 165. But getting back to the main discussion, yeah, I would find this view to be interesting enough to stop at.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.