News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I've Always Wondered...

Started by Henry, April 15, 2021, 11:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

...why video/mobile games don't always depict highways exactly as they are? For example, in Truck Simulator USA, there is a continuous freeway running from Miami to Vancouver via Nashville, Albuquerque, Los Angeles and Seattle, even though in the real world it's not possible, which explains the many route numbers that such a trip would involve. (And none of the roads in that game are numbered either, but you can quickly deduce the equivalents of their routes if you're familiar with them.) I'm thinking that the developers probably had limited space to work with when developing the games, resulting in a scaled-down version of the US (plus Canada and Mexico), and I get it. What else could it be?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Henry on April 15, 2021, 11:42:53 AM
...why video/mobile games don't always depict highways exactly as they are? For example, in Truck Simulator USA, there is a continuous freeway running from Miami to Vancouver via Nashville, Albuquerque, Los Angeles and Seattle, even though in the real world it's not possible, which explains the many route numbers that such a trip would involve. (And none of the roads in that game are numbered either, but you can quickly deduce the equivalents of their routes if you're familiar with them.) I'm thinking that the developers probably had limited space to work with when developing the games, resulting in a scaled-down version of the US (plus Canada and Mexico), and I get it. What else could it be?
I don't really think game developers (or most players) care about the roads being accurate.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

I think a lot of people prefer gameplay that's fun and challenging before details. A lack of precision in details is usually forgivable in a story or tale, so if a game has a purpose, adherence to rules come before the facts.

Most people really don't care about route number or directional precision outside of this niche hobby or people localized to an area. There's also the question of "fantasy", sometimes it's okay for something to not have the same information that you'd experience in the real world.

Details + challenge — fun = suspiciously like work

Fun — challenge — details = toy

Details — challenge — fun = boring (or dry)

Challenge — fun — detail = physically demanding

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: formulanone on April 15, 2021, 11:52:13 AM
I think a lot of people prefer gameplay that's fun and challenging before details. A lack of precision in details is usually forgivable in a story or tale, so if a game has a purpose, adherence to rules come before the facts.

What about details + challenge + fun?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 15, 2021, 11:53:55 AM
Quote from: formulanone on April 15, 2021, 11:52:13 AM

Role-playing game and/or exhausting real-life well spent.

wanderer2575

If accuracy and reality are what you're after, you just destroyed every James Bond and Fast and the Furious movie.

Max Rockatansky

Because they would be incredibly boring to play in most cases.  See the game Desert Bus as an example.

skluth

I don't find lack of geographic accuracy in video games one-tenth as annoying as in movies and television.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 15, 2021, 11:53:55 AM

That sounds like a great career goal!  Railroading and rail transit wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I ended up in a world where "game design" intersected with the real world.  I'm sure this comes as a surprise to many, but much of the old-fashioned circuit design in railway signalling looks an awful lot like the track layout itself.  Developing software to design it automatically was great fun, and programming train dynamic simulations was even better.  Mixing all of this together was way better than a career in computer gaming design (which I never actually considered, but almost got dragged into).  Not to mention some intersection with Roadgeek stuff along the way.

Hats off to jakeroot and others who are interested in traffic modelling and other careers that intersect with Roadgeekdom.

CoreySamson

I'm reminded of this video game idea I had several months ago:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26920.msg2501347#msg2501347

I think this concept could tie details, challenge, and fun together.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

I-55

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 15, 2021, 12:50:27 PM
I'm reminded of this video game idea I had several months ago:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26920.msg2501347#msg2501347

I think this concept could tie details, challenge, and fun together.

I think the concept could be done on a smaller scale if there was a way to convert a Cities:Skylines city into a playable video game map (which I could actually see in a few decades). Then compile some cities, add a few roads in between and add objectives.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.